how to search the closest cities to your area
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by JanetMD on 5/3/05 6:38pm
Msg #35640

Hello

Can anybody tell me how can I get a list with the closest cities and counties, based on the miles?. I am trying to building up this list with my closest areas. Thank you for you help!

Reply by Virginia_NOCA on 5/3/05 6:43pm
Msg #35642

I used 'ZIPFind Search Demo' at this URL http://www.zipfind.net/deluxe.aspx I put in my zip code on 'Radius Search' to find the zip codes close to me. It seems the SS wishes to use zip codes to find us.

Reply by JanetMD on 5/3/05 6:50pm
Msg #35645

Thanks Virginia. I really appreciate your willingness to help others. I will start working in my list right away. Thanks a million!!!.

JANET

Reply by Dave_CA on 5/3/05 6:46pm
Msg #35643

Try this site; http://www.jcsm.com/zipround2.asp

They will allow you to enter a zip code, specify a distance (40 miles max.) and return a list.

You can pay a fee and do a lot more with this and they are very helpful people.

Reply by Art_MD on 5/3/05 6:48pm
Msg #35644

one quick inexact way..

Go to the find a notary button at top.
Enter your zip code, the resulting list will show notaries and distance from your zip code.
If you want to expand search, change miles radius, or pick a zip code of a city in that direction.

i.e. If you were in mt Airy 21771, do search. if you wanted further west, pick a zip code in frederick and rerun search.

Where in MD ?

Art

Reply by JanetMD on 5/3/05 6:59pm
Msg #35648

To Art, MD Live in Damascus

Since you replied this message Art. I believe you have the title producer license. I was thinking in registering for the 30 hours course in the Maryland Land Title Association, but the cost of the course really discourages me, it is more than $ 500,00, and then I will have to pay for the bond probably another $ 500.00 and then the license has to be renewed every two years , probably the bond as well. Since I am just starting in the business, I was thinking to wait a little bit more, I know it is something I MUST do. Now, my concern is more related to the payment. Does it really make a difference?. Can I expect a minimum payment of $ 75.00 once I get the license or I will be offered the usual $ 50.00 most of the signing companies pay????

THanks Art

Reply by Art_MD on 5/3/05 7:09pm
Msg #35649

Re: To Art, MD Live in Damascus

In your notary handbook there is a section on real estate closings. It references Title Producer's license.

real short description of requirements.

1. A refi has title insurance on the HUD-1. Unless you have a Title Producer's license, leagally, you can't do a refi closing.
2. Most, if not all HELOCs do not have title insurance produced. You can legally do a HELOC.
3. Purchase closing - same as #1.

There are a number of notaries who do refi closings illegally.

Does it make a difference - YES. Most SS and TC know the law. They ask if you have a TPL and they want a faxed copy for their files. There also are some requirements that the title insurance underwriter send you an appointment letter and file a report with the state that you have been appointed as an associate producer for the company.

MLTA is about the only org that is licensed by the state to give the course.

If you call me 610-737-2159 I will gladly answer any question etc.

Art Walsh

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/3/05 8:53pm
Msg #35670

Re: how to search the closest cities to you on NotRot

***get a list with the closest cities and counties, based on the miles***

Become a paid member of Notary Rotary. Then use the Library tab to use their Coverage Analysis Tool - CAT. There is a demo of how it works on the Home page.

I cut and pasted from their info. and made a nifty excel spreadsheet. If you do a search of posts written by CaliNotary with the word mileage you can find his message from last year on how to set up your own spreadsheet.
Sam

Reply by JanetK/CA on 5/3/05 9:09pm
Msg #35672

Another source that might be useful, although I'm not sure if it has the info as you requested, is www.Melissadata.com. You can get zip code lists by county there, with the name of the city listed. That's what I looked for there but there could be lots of other potentially useful data.

Reply by sue on 5/4/05 10:22am
Msg #35743

Janet, you don't want to set up any type list w/strictly mileage. If you go north and west that is an entirely different travel time than south and east for you.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.