Notary Rotary
mentor
Notary Discussion History

mentor
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Vi CA on 5/3/05 12:52pm
Msg #35534

mentor

Hi! I'm new to the business and have contacted a few notaries in my area to see if they would be willing to mentor me by allowing me to go along with them on some signings and they have all been "unwelcoming." I'ts very disheartening, especially because I have done everything in my power to get some business. I've sent busines cards and flyers to several mortgage and Title co., I'm also signed up with sevral signing agencies. How is one to get experience if no one is willing to help? I was called to one assignment which went well up until the borrower decided he did not want to go with the refi after all. I was called on another occassion by an agency but did not get the assignment because I could not receive edocs. Those are the only 2 contacts I've received and I've been trying since March . I know being able to receive edocs is important but the equipment needed is expensive! My idea was to purchase one once I began generating some income from my signings. I'm open to any other suggestions, and if someone in the Moreno Valley, Ca area is willing to "take me under their wing" even if it's just for one signing I will truly appreciate it. Thank you.

Reply by Art_MD on 5/3/05 12:59pm
Msg #35536

The key words in the first sentence are ".. in my area.." Nobody want to train the competition -- Especially in a business where you have no control over the volume of work available. There will be a finite # of closings in your area and YOU are their competition!!!

Figure out what area you would normally cover. For talking purposes, say 30 miles radius.
Look to find a SA say 50/60 miles from you. You would probably not be invading "his/her territory" and might have a better chance of getting a good relationship set up.

Good luck

Art

Reply by Vi CA on 5/3/05 1:07pm
Msg #35541

Thanks Art, I appreciate your reply. I never even considered myself as "competition" since I'm looking at it through the eyes of a beginner. I will follow your advice and seek someone who is further away.

Vi Smiley

Reply by star on 5/3/05 12:59pm
Msg #35537

It's really not as hard and complicated as you may think. Usually the title co. or document signing doc. will give you instructions on where to sign. It's pretty self explanatory, I usually take my time and review all documents before going to the signing and if I have any questions I'll just call and ask them.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/3/05 1:04pm
Msg #35539

Hi Vi
You have to understand something about the signing agents who were "unwilling to help", would you be willing to train your competition??? Beause this is what you would be.

If you had a store, and a new store wanted to open next door to you selling the same things in direct competition, how much help would you give that store in setting up their business?

Most of us in this business have had to "go it alone" to get where we are now.

You say you have been trying since March. That is only a couple of months ago, and California is so saturated with signing agents it may be several months before you get some signings.
Companies tend to call their favorite signing agents first, and only then go down the listings if their favourite cannot accomodate them.

All I can advise you is to have patience and sign up with as many signing agencies as you can.

Reply by Vi on 5/3/05 1:11pm
Msg #35543

Re: mentor

Reply by Vi on 5/3/05 1:11pm
Msg #35544

Re: mentor

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 5/3/05 2:20pm
Msg #35566

To Sylvia

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that you have your own signing service. Am I correct?

If so, this "competition" thing people refer to on the board seems a little crazy.

I thought Brenda_TX was starting to develop a signing service as well. With "competition" being so fierce why would anyone network and create signing services?

I mean this respectfully. Not trying to get anyone's underwear bunched up. I've read many of your posts and have a great deal of respect for you.

This "saturation" and "competition" referred to online is making me buggy. I just started in March as well in San Diego and I'm not having any trouble getting business. Supposedly, San Diego is "saturated" and I'm a newbie so why am I not having trouble?

Please... people... Don't throw stones at me. I'm not trying to start a riot with this posting, I just perceive things differently than other people I guess.

If the market is saturated with notaries, why are some here networking and building their own signing services????

Reply by Art_MD on 5/3/05 2:25pm
Msg #35567

Re: To Sylvia

If there are 100 signing in a month in an area, say you get 20. At $100/each you gross $2000

You get 50 of these thru your signing service and make $50/each farming them out to other SAs... thats $2500 gross.

(above numbers are for talking purposes only)

Make less on a lot can be better than making a lot on a few.

Art

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 5/3/05 3:51pm
Msg #35602

So Art_MD... In other words...

The business is out there. As a SA, someone can do (let's use your numbers) 20 signings, but be getting calls for 50 (30 more than they can do). So they're farming out 30 to other SAs.

To me, that means the market is not saturated. There's enough business to go around if an SA thinks it's worth his/her while to network w/other notaries or form a small SS for themself.

I know what you're saying about the dollars and cents and why it's worth the individual's efforts to form a SS. I'm strictly looking at it as there being business out there.

Reply by Art_MD on 5/3/05 5:54pm
Msg #35627

Re: So Art_MD... In other words...

To clear it up a bit.

The 100 signings are going thru a title company sooner or later.Say this title company farms out the work to SSs. If they pay the SSs $150 and the SS pays $100 to the SA, they keep $50 per signing. So, there is $5000 being made by a SS. If someone can get the Title company to use them they get the $5000. If the new SS can get a total of 200 assignment (closings) a month from a large title company or several smaller ones, they could be looking at $10,000/month. Averaged out, 200 signings is 10/day. A SS could find people to handle 10 signings per day. Heck, using the search function on this board could easily accomplish that - especially in CA where there appears (from postings on this board) to be a ready supply of SAs. I don't think there are many out there doing closings who make $10,000 month. Also, sitting at your office making call, faxing/e-mailing assignments and all the other stuff involved (billing, record keeping, and lots of stuff I don't know about) is more appealing to some than driving all over the state.

(Note: often the difference between what the title co. pays the SS and what the SS pays the SA is >$50.)

Please understand, this is just a general business point of view. Numbers may, and probably are incorrect, but the principle is correct.

Art

Reply by BrendaTX on 5/3/05 4:58pm
Msg #35616

Maggie...

Maggie,

I checked my undies and there is no knot in them. All good on this end...hope everyone else has comfortable underpants, as well.

You are incorrect as to BrendaTx starting a signing service. And, your premise is wrong about signing services and networking being indicative of plentiful work. A signing service and a network of notaries who market one another actually has nothing to do with the other. In fact, they are kind of dangerous to one another because of competition....but, good hiring entities like Sylvia's are the kind my group likes to work for. Bad SSs who use notaries unmercifully because of saturation and stiff competition are the ones who will lose out.

But, I digress...

I have created the foundation of a network of notaries who are willing to promote each other aggressively BECAUSE of the competition--we have been in this business from 1 - 6 years and we have a little insight on the situation and see the need for better marketing methods. I saw this coming as soon as I got into this business and I began working for better positioning early on.

FWIW Maggie, I talked to a principle in a national title company today who is also aware that the refi boom is dwindling...that even the title companies must regroup and look to new ways to expand and maintain business clients.

They are talking to the members of my group individually about a special program to help them (the title co) and experienced notaries develop business because the refi boom is just not there like it was two years ago. Straight from the horse's mouth...not just a scared little notary networker trying to protect her turf.

Let me try to explain again about the concept of marketing through networking.

One notary's flyer gets a lot less notice than a notary's flyer who has 15 + other notaries on it with those who have 1+ year experience and 100+ signings. If 15+ notaries promote me and I promote them we have exponentially increased our marketing efforts. Our list is not going to promote every notary who has a commission. We look to fill out areas that are not already covered by others in Texas and we will all market our business while we market and promote others.

I started my business in Jan/Feb of 2004. It's not like I have been around since God created the first NSA, but I have gone at it with a business sensible attitude and long-term plans and goals.

I have worked very hard to get the good clients I have. Good clients are not plentiful, competition is stiff and once you have a year of learning how the business works, you'll see what we mean...if this becomes a real business to you.

On the other hand, if this is just a part-time income maker for you, you probably won't see the side Sylvia and I do.

The people in my group are not doing this for a little pocket change. We take our business very seriously and are either in it full-time, or the members are looking to be employed full-time in the near future by NSA work or complimentary opportunities.

I know you feel you have been respectful toward Sylvia, but it sounds to me like you have questioned her character for being honest about CA NSAs from her perspective.

Perhaps that is not what you meant, but it did come across this way to me.

**I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that you have your own signing service. Am I correct?** (What did this imply...that Sylvia is not telling the truth?)

And, if you really do not want to start riots...that's kind of a funny way to avoid it. JMHO

**This "saturation" and "competition" referred to online is making me buggy**

It's disappointing that those who have spoken the truth from their perspective and personal outlooks about saturation and competition have made you buggy.

I am hopeful that you soon realize that not everyone is operating from your own perspective, thus, you are being very subjective in assessing the purposes of our statements.

Brenda

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/3/05 8:21pm
Msg #35663

Re: To Sylvia

Why when I see your name do I want to break into the Rod Stewart song? LOL

Yes, I have my own signing service and have had it a couple of years. I have it because title companies I worked with asked me if I would consider being a signing service for them as they do not want the trouble of finding signing agents directly, they find it is more cost productive for them to work through a signing service, but they had seen problems with signing services they were using - getting complaints from signing agents that the signing service wasn't paying them etc.

Competition? every one covering the same area you do is your competition.

I am only a signing service in Florida, I am not nationwide. But, if I was nationwide and had a signing for San Diego, I could go to the signingagent.com website (which I just now did to double check) and look for a signing agent covering San Diego.
There were a lot, I actually did a "print preview" and there were 82 pages- and there are about 10-15 signing agents per page. So that is a lot of signing agents covering San Diego. T

Does this answer your questions?

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 5/4/05 12:49am
Msg #35702

Of course you want to break into a Rod Stewart song!

Off the subject... But... I've seen him and concert and I think he's great!!!! That's why I use this as a screen name. Of course, his song title is spelled MaggieMay, but what the hay?

Anyways... When I think of signing services (and you're also being a signing agent), I think you're hiring your competition so that must mean competition really isn't an issue and that saturation isn't either... I was trying to get it broken down so I would have a better understanding of where you and Brenda were coming from.

Brenda and I have emailed and things are much clearer in my mind. Thank you both for your expertise and time.

Reply by BrendaTX on 5/4/05 12:56am
Msg #35703

Sigh...I remember when he was Rod the bod....

Anyhow...thanks for your email, Maggie...I've replied.

I know I keep you amused but I feel I’m being used....

Reply by Eatha/PA on 5/4/05 8:29am
Msg #35712

Re: Sigh...I remember when he was Rod the bod....

The morning sun when it’s in my face really shows my age.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 5/4/05 10:35am
Msg #35745

Brenda and Sylvia

Thank you both for answering my questions! I definitely have a much better understanding as to why people talk about saturation and competition on here. I promise never again to question it. I do see where people are coming from and I consider myself truly blessed to be where I am right now and not to be going thru and paying the dues others have. The little angel on my shoulder has been a Godsend.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/4/05 10:16am
Msg #35742

Re: Of course you want to break into a Rod Stewart song!

Actually Maggie Mae, I am not hiring my competition, as the signings in my own area I will do myself, unless I am overbooked, the signings I contract out are in counties I do not cover personally. And if I do have to hire someone in my own area, in this case they are not really competition as the title company won't hire signing agents directly, they will only go through a signing service. And the "May" part is not mentioned in the lyrics of his song at all.

Wake up Maggie I think I got something to say to you
It's late September and I really should be back at school
I know I keep you amused but I feel I'm being used
Oh Maggie I couldn't have tried any more
You lured me away from home just to save you from being alone
You stole my heart and that's what really hurt
The morning sun when it's in your face really shows your age
But that don't worry me none in my eyes you're everything
I laughed at all of your jokes my love you didn't need to coax
Oh, Maggie I couldn't have tried any more
You lured me away from home, just to save you from being alone
You stole my soul and that's a pain I can do without
All I needed was a friend to lend a guiding hand
But you turned into a lover and
mother what a lover, you wore me out
All you did was wreck my bed
and in the morning kick me in the head
Oh Maggie I couldn't have tried anymore
You lured me away from home 'cause you didn't want to be alone
You stole my heart I couldn't leave you if I tried
I suppose I could collect my books and get on back to school
Or steal my daddy's cue and make a living out of playing pool
Or find myself a rock and roll band that needs a helpin' hand
Oh Maggie I wish I'd never seen your face
You made a first-class fool out of me
But I'm as blind as a fool can be
You stole my heart but I love you anyway
Maggie I wish I'd never seen your face
I'll get on back home one of these days

Reply by chelleCA on 5/3/05 1:06pm
Msg #35540

It is hard to find someone that will mentor you. I am also new and I have signed up with almost 100 signing companies from this site and the NSA site. I have been trying since February and discovered that it just takes time. I had a few calls that asked about my experience and when I said I didn't have any, they said that they needed someone with experience for the signing. I did manage to get a couple of signings though. I guess I can now say that I am experienced (to a point). I am no where near to having the experience that other people on here have, but we all have to start somewhere.

I guess I would just say that you need to hang in there and sign up with every company that you can. It takes some time. I have a Brother laser printer and it does what I need for now and I also use it for the other business that I have. It cost about $100. I also got an efax number that is very inexpensive, but works real well. There are some companies that require a fax number. I just paln on getting a better printer later.

Good Luck...

Michelle

Reply by Vi CA on 5/3/05 1:10pm
Msg #35542

Thank you so much Michelle. I'm hanging in there believe me, more so now that kind people like you as well as others are actually taking the time to reply to my message.

Reply by Art_MD on 5/3/05 1:15pm
Msg #35546

As so many have said before, read the prevoius messages. Most of the questions you will have have been asked before.
Use the search function.
Good starting keywords are:
printer
pcl6
NNA

Once you've use these, you figure out other words to search on.

Art

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/3/05 1:15pm
Msg #35547

Hi Vi - I'm not sure if you have been reading this message board for a while or not. If not you should read message 33325 dated 04/22 so you know what you're getting into. That said - what part of CA is the Moreno Valley?

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/3/05 3:36pm
Msg #35596

Re: Moreno Valley is in San Bernardino co. n/m

Reply by CA Notary on 5/3/05 4:32pm
Msg #35611

Re: Moreno Valley is in San Bernardino co.- not

Moreno Valley is in Riverside County, near the 215 and 60 freeways

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/3/05 5:08pm
Msg #35619

Too bad - it is farther than I thought. I was going to offer you to ride along w/me in San Diego. Unfortunately, almost all of my calls are last minute and the signings would be finishing up by the time you got here.

Reply by Yes, MO VAL is Riverside Count on 5/3/05 6:41pm
Msg #35641

Reply by DellaCa on 5/3/05 2:38pm
Msg #35580

Vi Email me

Reply by Victoria/FL on 5/3/05 3:42pm
Msg #35598

You've got to spend money to make money.

Sorry to hear that you're having such a difficult time. It takes a lot of time and effort to build a new business. Luckily this sort of business doesn't require a huge amount of capital to start up, but it does require some. First and foremost, you must have the ability to receive e-docs. I would venture to say that 95% of my signings are by e-docs. If you don't have one already, search your local paper for a used computer or purchase an "open-box" buy at Best Buy, CompUSa, etc. You should be able to get set-up for less than $1,000 if you shop wisely.

Good luck!

Reply by OnTheGo2 on 5/3/05 8:40pm
Msg #35667

sorry I am not in your area. You can get a decent laser printer for under $300 but until then check out your local freecycle site www.freecycle.org and see if anyone is giving one away. I have seen several in my local area.
This is a great site and the only rule is everything has to be free.
It's purpose is to keep stuff out of the dumps. Often people closing offices list stuff and that includes laser printers. Good luck and I hope you find a mentor. Also, I started getting signings by signing up to the NSA section of the www.nationalnotary.org web site and this site.

Reply by To Vi on 5/3/05 8:56pm
Msg #35671

I'm a notary in Lake Arrowhead, it's a good hour from you in MO VAL, and many curves in the road on the way up the mountain but to die for once here. I would be happy to have you join me in a ride along, send me your e-mail address and I will give you a jingle in the future to see if our schedules work. Best of Luck!
[e-mail address]

Reply by Vi Ca on 5/4/05 5:36pm
Msg #35833

Yes, Mo Val is in Riverside county. Thanks to all who responded. I truly appreciate the fact that you took the time to respond. Sorry I logged out so fast-- had an emergency with my child at school. The reason I became a NSA was because a "friend" who has a friend in the business said I would be great and would help me out, but that didn't happen. I've always been interested in real estate and am a people person , so I thought why not. I'm certain things will come together eventually, but when you're on a budget you begin to have your doubts and I was wrong to assume my "friend" would facilitate my success in the field. It's okay, things happen for a reason and I am determined to succeed. Again, thank you all. Smiley

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.