Notary Rotary
need help with acknowledgement
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Ali-IL on 5/2/05 2:10pm
Msg #35339

I have an acknowledgement on a mortgage doc that reads like this.

______OF_______,________OF_________ss.

I believe that my name would go on first blank then, state and county on the rest?

I was thinking of attaching a loose certificate to it

What do you think?

Tia

Reply by Anonymous on 5/2/05 2:13pm
Msg #35340

State of ___________ County of _________________

Reply by Ali_IL on 5/2/05 2:22pm
Msg #35343

Thank you!

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/2/05 3:06pm
Msg #35353

Re: why do you need help with acknowledgement?

Are there some states where the acknowledgement does NOT start with the phrase:
state/commonwealth of ________
county of __________ ?

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/2/05 3:09pm
Msg #35355

Agreed, SamIam_CA!

If a person does not know that much, then they should go back and study their manual very seriously 'cause they're not a notary yet, whether they have a commission or not.

The question is just too basic to be seriously asked and answered.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/2/05 4:35pm
Msg #35365

Re: why do you need help with acknowledgment?

So the format is the same across the board - true? I know I must use the California wording regardless - but I thought I might be missing something in their question...

Reply by CaliNotary on 5/2/05 4:40pm
Msg #35368

No, you didn't miss anything. There are simply a whole lot of notaries who can't complete an acknowledgement or jurat correctly without some assistance.

I'm just shocked that there haven't been a slew of "you're mean!" and "if you can't help, you just shouldn't say anything at all" responses to you and Ernest. Don't you know that you're Satan if you point out things like that?

Reply by SamIam_CA on 5/2/05 5:01pm
Msg #35372

Maybe when they read Ali's original post they just stopped reading. I was wrong in that they don't all start like in CA - see Stephen's post from Virginia.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 5/2/05 5:58pm
Msg #35381

Virginia

Virginia has statuary forms that are acceptable, they will also accept any form that is "substantially" similar and contains a specific set of info. The order isn't necessary. I suppose my acknowledgement could be:

Borrower Name
the date
Virginia
acknowledged before me
My Expiration
County
My Sig

And that only and it is techinically correct, but it is sorta silly. The nice connecting words just put some form to it.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/2/05 6:06pm
Msg #35386

Grrr! Snarl!

Sometimes I can just read and move on, and other times I just have to smack my forehead and say "How DID this poster get a commission?!r"

Yes, I admit it. I'm cruel. Heartless. Have no sympathy for the beginner. (sigh) For my penance I'm about to go to a signing with a borrower who (at the first attempted signing a week ago) kept me waiting for 45 minutes in the cold, then refused to sign because there were closing costs. Because I've posted here that someone has no clue and should study, my karma may be to have the borrower's dogs gnaw at my liver. Or is it to have to push a boulder up hill? Hmm. Or is it to sit at the signing table with a sword suspended by a thread above me?

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/2/05 6:22pm
Msg #35392

Re: Grrr! Snarl! Be nice :).n/m

Reply by BrendaTX on 5/2/05 6:24pm
Msg #35394

Re: Grrr! Snarl!

***my karma may be to have the borrower's dogs gnaw at my liver***

No, Ernest...your karma will be RevMort hell. Mine always is...Two of them back to back...but not with those nice people we tell stories about...picture a man who is proud he beat the IRS in court in 1969....he made the agent cry...The minute he sees the W9...you'll start in 1955 and move forward...very slowly.

Reply by NoNo no one thinks your Satan. on 5/2/05 8:20pm
Msg #35426

There is gentle way to say things, and when someone gives their opinion, allow them their opinion. There is no need to jump down anyone's throat when they are only expressing themselves. Please allow others to think for themselves and just because you don't agree with it, you don't have to have the last word. We hear your comments loud and clear......Allow others to be heard and don't trash them for having a differing opinion from yours.

Reply by CaliNotary on 5/2/05 9:55pm
Msg #35452

Fine. My opinion is that it's a disgrace when a notary doesn't know how to complete an acknowledgement without posting a question about it on this board. If they can't do something that simple on their own then they have no business notarizing anything for anybody. I'm glad you hear my thoughts loud and clear and realize that I'm only expressing myself.

BTW, what is your deal with "the last word"? This is a discussion board, we're discussing. I made one post in this thread and you're telling me that I'm trying to get the last word in? I think you need to heed your own advice and just allow us to express our opinions and not try to tell us how we should be posting.

Reply by Erna_CA on 5/2/05 11:04pm
Msg #35467

Sometimes you can go crosseyed trying to figur out if it is acknowledgment or a jurat, perhaps its just a matter of sharing with others what we are looking at, which at times is unbelivable. Hd one last week that was very confusing leeves you wondering who on earth put it togather and what were they thinking.

Reply by Anonymous on 5/3/05 12:05am
Msg #35469

What's your problem Cali?

You ALWAYS have to get the last word. It's your way or no way at all. What's wrong with listening to others for a change?

Reply by Cali as suspected... on 5/3/05 9:30am
Msg #35493

Last word Cali and you will most likely argue in your grave, how very sad. Wouldn't you rather to remembered for your kindness to others. I promise you will feel better and be a happier person.

Reply by CaliNotary on 5/3/05 11:27am
Msg #35518

Wow, two whole posts in a thread and I'm trying to get the last word in. Tough crowd.

So I'm confused. If I told you to kiss my butt, would that be trying to get the last word in? Or would it simply be expressing a desire for you to kiss my butt?

Reply by Jon on 5/3/05 11:45am
Msg #35521

Stop trying to get around it, Cali. You know you want the last word. You must be a disgruntled notary and very unhappy person to be so mean. I mean really, who would want to kiss your butt??? Smiley

Reply by CaliNotary on 5/3/05 12:13pm
Msg #35528

You forgot to tell me that I must have been abused as a child and/or that my sex life must be lacking!

Reply by Jon on 5/3/05 4:27pm
Msg #35610

I assumed that was self evident!

Reply by Kindness is better! on 5/3/05 11:50am
Msg #35525

As well as being professional in the work environment and on the message board, just a suggestion!

Reply by CaliNotary on 5/3/05 12:11pm
Msg #35527

A suggestion? Or you trying to get the last word in?

Reply by Stephen_VA on 5/2/05 4:43pm
Msg #35371

The acknowledgment does not have to *start* with the county and state. It just needs to contain it.

Reply by HisHughness on 5/2/05 10:29pm
Msg #35461

SamIam_CA asks:

***Are there some states where the acknowledgement does NOT start with the phrase:
state/commonwealth of ________
county of __________ ?***

In Texas, acknowledgements start with:

The GREAT State of Texas

County of XXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply by Jon on 5/3/05 11:51am
Msg #35526

"The GREAT State of Texas"

Be careful Hugh, some states consider completing a notarial certificate with false statements a felony!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.