Notary Rotary
not sure
Notary Discussion History

not sure
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by an on 5/4/05 6:14pm
Msg #35838

not sure

Ok, I am to go on a signing tomorrow. When I rec. the papers there was no date on the quitclaim deed. Now I recall that we are not suppose to notarize doc without date. So when I rec the edoc and there was no date (just blank line on the first line), I call the attorney and informed him he wants me to go on with the signing tomorrow. Also as I was reading the threads I read that when doing a quitclaim that there should be two witnesses where one could be the notary. Now when taking my exam it did say to do an acknowledgement, but that's about all it said. I have look in my state laws for instructions, but have not had any results. Can someone out there give me some input. Smiley

Reply by Ted_MI on 5/4/05 6:24pm
Msg #35841

An,

It would really help if you indicated what state you are in. Often times queries posted on these boards require state-specific responses. Now just like I am Ted from MI, you can be An from WH (that stands for wherever).

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/4/05 6:26pm
Msg #35843

Re: not sure. you dont need 2 witnesses in all states n/m

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/4/05 6:29pm
Msg #35845

There is no reason that the person signing the QCD cannot put the date on the blank line.
If there had been no blank line there would be nothing to stop you doing the notarization, many a time a doc doesn't have a date on it.

What state are you in? The two witnesses and one can be the notary is a Florida law, don't know about other states. If this applies to your state, then you need to let the signer know that they must have a witness present for the signing of the QCD.

You said when taking the exam it said "to do an acknowledgment" - if there is an acknowledgment on the doc, then yes you do an acknowledgment. If there is a jurat on the doc then you put the signer under oath. We do not decide if it is to be an acknowledgment or a jurat.

Reply by an/nc on 5/5/05 4:27am
Msg #35930

Thanks Sylvia I truly thank you

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/5/05 7:35am
Msg #35940

And NC is not a witness stateSmiley

Reply by Bob-Chicago on 5/4/05 9:02pm
Msg #35899

Date on QC Deed

The date written on the deed sould be on or before the date typed on the mortgage
Your acknowledgment of both the deed and the mortgage should be the date of signing
This may be later than the date on the mortgage and the date put on the deed.
As others have stated, the witness reqmt is per you states laws. Will probably NOT find in notary law. Check with title company

Reply by an/nc on 5/5/05 4:29am
Msg #35931

Re: Date on QC Deed

Thank you too bob. I feel more at ease now with people like you and Sylvia around.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.