Notary Rotary
notorizing in jail
Notary Discussion History

notorizing in jail
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Mary Head on 5/19/05 11:30pm
Msg #39175

notorizing in jail

Has anyone ever done it ? if so can you share what happens? I just got a call from a person that needs an inmate to sign a consent form for a passport to be issued.. The daughter of the inmate needs a passport to go no a class trip and is under age 14. The consent of both parents is required. The mother happens to be in jail.
What should I charge ?
I am meeting there in like an hour...please let me know ...thanks
Mary in CA

Reply by Beatriz-ca on 5/19/05 11:37pm
Msg #39176

From what I understand. Your fees should be discussed with and paid for by the person; outside of jail; who contacted you. I believe it is ten dollars for the signature plus whatever your traveling fees are.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/20/05 12:06am
Msg #39180

As Bea said, you can charge $10 per signature plus a reasonable travel fee. You may be able to add a "time" fee to it too as it may take you a while to get into the jail to see the prisoner.

Make sure you get your fee upfront before you go into the jail. (You may want to take your husband with you as the areas around the jails are not very pleasant usually)

Reply by Mary-CA on 5/20/05 12:27am
Msg #39187

Thanks for the info. and advice. The signing has been rescheduled for tomarrow as the jail "visiting hours" end at 10 pm. I told the client $40.00 . She was very pleased. She had someone back out on her today and He was going to charge her $75.00. In the end she said she would give me $50.00 because it was such short notice. Sounds good to me ! I grew up like 5 miles from the jail so I know the area well. Thanks again for the response to my questions....
Mary-CA

Reply by John / FL on 5/20/05 12:43pm
Msg #39304

What county?

You might want to call the jail and ask them about procedures that you will have to follow. I would be surprised that they would allow you a face to face meeting. Most jails have visitors meet inmates through the glass, etc.

Reply by Mary-CA on 5/20/05 5:45pm
Msg #39372

San Diego County...

I went there with my brief case and the client. Neither one of us knew what to exspect. I went up to sign in where visitors go. They took my ID and asked me to show them my stamp through the glass. They did a match and said give us 15 min. I waited they called my name I went down a hall into a locked area the gate opened. I then went into another locked area. The gate opened the women was there waiting with a gaurd. I presented the document. She said I don't feel comfortable signing this. I said thats fine. She asked me what it was. I read the form # (it was a consent form for her daughter to get a passport) The state dept. will not allow minors to have a pass port with out this form signed and notarised by both parents. The 11 yr. old was going on a school trip to Europe. (PRIVATE SCHOOL) the dad is a DR. I walked out of there without the signature. I went to the client. She wrote a note to the inmate with the details of the trip yadda yadda yadda..I was allowed back down to see the inmate.The inmate still refused to sign. End of story...I got paid $50.00 (WHICH I COLLECTED WHEN WE GOT TO THE FACILITY!) for my time and effort....I live less then a mile from the Jail.
This was my very first signing EVER! ha ha ha ....very scary
I gave my card to 4 bail bonds men ...They said where were you an hour ago? So...we shall see.
Any one have inmate signing experience ? I would like to know more about it...
Mary In CA

Reply by stamper_WI on 5/20/05 10:07pm
Msg #39428

I got a call from a judge that he had ordered an inmate to sign the deed on her home. She was in there for contempt of court from a long messy divorce. Apparently she cleaned out everything in her former's home and sold it hid the proceeds etc. I got in there and she refused to sign!. Told me that was the first time she had been out of her cell all week! then she started yelling at me about " stealing her house". Last I saw of her was her heels as she was being dragged back to her cell.

I didn't ask for the 50 cents we are allowed to charge. The trip was 3 blocks. I figure it was worth the experience and part of my education!

Reply by Mary-CA on 5/20/05 10:15pm
Msg #39429

I asked her if she wanted her money back. She said noway..you were brave enough to go in there and do it . You have earned the money. She was right. I was scared. I had never been in a jail. The inmate was very nice. I kinda felt sorry for her. She was scared to sign this form because she didn't feel comfortable with her 11 year old daughter going on the school trip to Europe. I told her it is up to you whether you sing or not I am just here to wittnes it. She opted to not!...

Reply by stamper_WI on 5/20/05 10:20pm
Msg #39433

I figured I was safe there with those big burly jailers in the room with us...remember I had a pen ( just one was allowed). I had worked my way through college as a psych aide on a locked ward....Jail was safer in a way because of all the rules the ward had about how to handle violent patients.

Reply by Mary-CA on 5/20/05 10:24pm
Msg #39435

You know what I thought was strange...? they never searched me looked in my brief case ..they didn't do any kind of security at all. I found that very odd. I never thought about it until I was on my way home. Anyone know why they don't do any security proceedures ?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 5/20/05 11:11pm
Msg #39448

Here, when I go to the jail or correction facility, I'm treated the same as an attorney. No searching of the briefcase other than a magnetic check for weapons. It's all about client-attorney privilege.

Reply by Mary-CA on 5/21/05 12:23am
Msg #39464

I don't know about other states but I know here in Cali they are SECURITY happy I mean big time! try the airports schools courthouses ..to name a few off the top of my head. I was just shocked at the jail...just wanted to comment on it. I have never done a signing before today in a jail. It was interesting to say the least. What types of docs do you do in the jails ?

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/20/05 10:18pm
Msg #39431

Re: notarizing in jail

My only notarization at a jail was a loan package for the warden. While signing she is on a walkie talkie being told that an razor has been found in a cell and she is giving instructions for a lock down and search. I have received one call for an inmate notarization but it fell through as the person told me I had to call the jail and set the appointment, she did not have a name or department I should call. So I asked her to cal me back when she had more info for me. She never called back, and I was rather relived.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.