Notary Rotary
oath
Notary Discussion History

oath
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by NewinCali on 5/20/05 11:29am
Msg #39267

oath

would anyone care to share the oath they give after executing a jurat?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 5/20/05 11:33am
Msg #39270

You need to give the oath (affirmation) BEFORE completing the jurat. The jurat is your statement that the oath (affirmation) was given (past tense).

"Do you solemnly swear (or affirm), that the information presented in this document is true and accurate to best of your knowledge and understanding. <So help you God.>"

Reply by Tina/ID & OR on 5/20/05 11:34am
Msg #39271

In Oregon & Idaho we say . . . "Do you swear (or affirm) that the statements in this document are true?" That is just a verbal oath. The oath for a credible witness is "Do you swear (or affirm) that you personallly know this document signer to be the individual he/she claims to be?"

Reply by Ernest_CT on 5/20/05 11:54am
Msg #39283

The oath that you administer BEFORE the signer signs the document depends on your state. You will find the wording needed FOR YOUR STATE in your Notary Handbook / Manual. Don't wing it.

Using an oath from another state may not be invalid, but you really should use California's oath if you are in California.

Reply by Stephanie_CA on 5/20/05 12:16pm
Msg #39291

“Do you solemnly swear or affirm under penalty of perjury
that the contents of the document you are about to sign are
true and correct?”

Reply by Dogmonger Ca on 5/20/05 12:32pm
Msg #39298

Look on page 10 of the 2005 Notary Public Handbook

And page 9 on the 2004 edition. There is no prescribed wording for the oath, but they do provide examples.

Reply by Anonymous on 5/20/05 12:50pm
Msg #39306

Just out of curiousity, what procedure to you all use when giving the oath? Do you usually administer the oath before starting in on any of the docs or do you stop at each Jurat and give the oath? Just curious what method most people are using. Thanks, Jen-CA

Reply by Victoria/FL on 5/20/05 1:03pm
Msg #39313

I'm curious, too. Thanks for asking!

I give each oath individually, however would like to wrap it up at the beginning.

Reply by Art_MD on 5/20/05 1:09pm
Msg #39315

Re: I'm curious, too. Thanks for asking!

I give the following at the beginning " Do you solumnly swear, under penalty of perjury that the statements your are about to attest to are true to the best of your knowledge?

Art

Reply by Art_md on 5/20/05 1:12pm
Msg #39318

Re: I'm curious, too. Thanks for asking! continued...

I get the strangest looks from most borrowers when I ask them to raise their right hands. I've aked the last dozen if they were sworn in the last time they had anything notarized qand the answer has been no 12 out of 12!!!!
One said he has done 5 refis/helocs on the one house and never been sworn in.
Some think it's a joke and start giggling/chuckling - they think I'm kidding around (until I take the time to explain.

Art

Reply by Lisa/WI on 5/20/05 1:20pm
Msg #39323

Re: I'm curious, too. Thanks for asking! continued...

Yes, the borrowers do think its funny when I make them raise their right hand. One couple looked at eachother and said "I do, Ahhh Yes" They werent quite sure how to answer and then when they did they looked at me and said, do you marry people too. As far as when and how often to give the oath, it already has been depated on here and everybody has their own way. Sometimes you only have one doc that needs an oath, sometimes more. Some insist it has to be given for each doc needing it, some say it can be done one time for all docs needing it.

Reply by Katie/CA on 5/20/05 1:15pm
Msg #39320

What state are you in? I don't care that you post Annonymous, just some questions are best answered by notaries from your state.

I took a class with the state investigator for the notary division. He told us that we need to give the oath to the person with each document that requires a Jurat. Not just at the begining or the end of doing loan docs. I give it after they have signed each document that requires a jurat, as then they have read it. And before I notarize it, I give the oath. I have them give me a verbal answer, not a nod of the head.

Reply by Luci/CA on 5/21/05 12:47pm
Msg #39515

Katie, I am just curious - where did you get a class with someone that was actually from the Notary Division? I would like to know more about that - who sponsored it, etc.? I would prefer to get the information and interpretation of the notary law direct from the Secretary of State. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Reply by Jen-CA on 5/20/05 1:20pm
Msg #39322

I couldn't get the post to change from anonymous for some reason, so I'll post it again: Just out of curiousity, what procedure do you all use when giving the oath? Do you usually administer the oath before starting in on any of the docs or do you stop at each Jurat and give the oath? Just curious what method most people are using. Thanks, Jen-CA

Reply by Stephanie_CA on 5/20/05 2:54pm
Msg #39342

I give the following oath prior to signing EACH Affidavit/document:

“Do you solemnly swear or affirm under penalty of perjury
that the contents of the document you are about to sign are
true and correct?”

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.