Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
precautions before providing confidential info.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Chuck on 5/13/05 2:39am
Msg #37456

Many national signing companies require a contract and personal information including a social security number. I feel reluctant in doing so especially when the BBB has no information on the company. I have worked mostly for local title and mortgage companies who I know, but would like to expand my business. How can I investigate the legitimacy of national signing companies?

Reply by Art_MD on 5/13/05 7:23am
Msg #37462

Several suggestions-

1. Get an EIN
2. Add state to your sign on - I'm Art in Maryland. Try Chuck/xx or chuck_xx
3. Do a search on this board, if you don't find anything post a question... If you don't make an effort to do your own research you WILL hear about it!
4. If you send a copy of DL, black out #. They don't need it. Most here recommend not sending a copy.
5. Don't send copy of SS card

Art

Reply by Nancy in Florida on 5/13/05 8:39am
Msg #37466

I was wondering about taking necessary precautions too, I had someone email me recently without any other information in the email other than to fax a W9 form to them immediately. I haven't responded yet but there wasn't even a phone number. I will fax them but with a question as to who they are and why they want me to provide a W9. I have signed up with many SS' lately and it could be one of them but I am not taking any chances.

Reply by Dave_CA on 5/13/05 9:23am
Msg #37471

Get an EIN... N/M

Reply by ERNA_CA on 5/13/05 10:43am
Msg #37496

I used to sign contracts with signing agencies, but I never send copy of DL or SS. I don't sign contracts anymore, here is why. I received a call from SS for a signing, I excepted, waited all day no papers and no response to my emails requiring about loan papers, and only an answering machine when I called. About 8 pm I receive a call from Title Co. They told me they had originally called the SS but had not been able to get a hold of them all afternoon, they were frantic and told me they had tracked me down as I had done signings for for same SS same Title. They asked me to do the signing and offered me a price, I excepted, did the signing and sent the Title co. my invoice and tracking number. Next morning I receive a call from the SS demanding tracking number, I told them I had given the tracking number to the Title co. as no one had been able to get a hold of them so Title had contracted me directly. They called me for days with treats and using abusive language. I did not have a contract with this SS and I am an independent contractor, therefore I am not limited to excepting the job through the SS only. It just dose not look right to me to sign contracts therefore limiting your self as to who you can work for. Just my two cents.

Reply by rlogan-ca on 5/13/05 12:34pm
Msg #37519

From what I've read on this board, it seems that quite a few SS give notaries the run around.

I wonder, do seasoned notaries expect SS to keep them on hold until they can get their act

together? Especially when the SS don't return your calls or and let you know they've found

someone else to do the job.

Reply by Susan Axelrod on 5/13/05 1:28pm
Msg #37546

May I suggest a TIN instead of your social, that might help with the privacy you are seeking.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 5/14/05 8:13pm
Msg #37848

TINs

TIN means Taxpayer Identification Number.

A Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) is an identification number used by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the administration of tax laws. It is issued either by the Social Security Administration (SSA) or by the IRS. A Social Security number (SSN) is issued by the SSA whereas all other TINs are issued by the IRS.

Taxpayer Identification Numbers

* Social Security Number "SSN"
* Employer Identification Number "EIN"
* Individual Taxpayer Identification Number "ITIN"
* Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions "ATIN"
* Preparer Taxpayer Identification Number "PTIN"

So, you must be specify that you are suggesting getting an EIN.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.