starting out
Notary Discussion History

starting out
Go Back to May, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 5/20/05 1:34pm
Msg #39326

starting out

Hello,
First off let me say I am just starting out. With that said, if I wanted to get my name out, handing out flyers and business cards to title and escrow companies, would that be a waste of time? Do title and excrow companies hire newbies or should I just wait for loan signings under my belt? I am just a little annoyed that the signing services only want to pay 50.00 for us to drive in traffic, drive within 50 miles and spend a 1-2 hours for a signing. I have spent alot of time researching and studying and getting certified to only get paid 50.00 If there are good title and escrow companies that do hire newbies it would be great to know who. Please don't get me wrong, I am also signing up with signing services, because I am ready to start! I just want to make the most money possible as I am sure everyone here wants.

Reply by Philem on 5/20/05 2:12pm
Msg #39332

Hi, and welcome! Not quite sure that sending marketing information to TC's right away is a very solid idea. Working directly for TC's and lenders is considered "experienced territory." Not saying that you won't find some, but it's generally better to go to them with a solid, demonstratable history of signings.

Yes, it does indeed suck that SS want to pay so little. Think of it as another form of "paying your dues, and putting in the time," that is required to *prove* to those companies you want to work with that you know what the deal is, and can be trusted to provide quality service.

Also, what state are you in? Most states have peculiar things specific to them, and in some, notaries are not permitted to perform witness-only signings; they are "attorney only" states.

Good luck!
-Jim

Reply by corona71 on 5/20/05 2:49pm
Msg #39339

I am in So. California. Trying to find reputable signing services is quite a task. I do appreciate when other people put information about good and bad companies. It helps everyone all around. I am just anxious either way to start making money.

Reply by MIRNA-CA on 5/20/05 3:27pm
Msg #39344

Re: starting out

Reply by MIRNA-CA on 5/20/05 3:32pm
Msg #39345

HI, ALL SIGNIGS I'VE DONE I'VE DONE THEM THROUGH A LENDER THEY PAY DOUBLE OR A LITTLE MORE THAN SIGNING COMPANIES.

Reply by corona71 on 5/20/05 3:42pm
Msg #39348

Did you start off marketing to lenders, and if so, they called you even though you had no prior experience? that makes me feel like there is hope.

Reply by Roger/OH on 5/20/05 4:08pm
Msg #39356

Suggest you do a search on the "find a a notary" feature here for some of the zip codes in your area. This will give you an idea of the number of competitors you have out there in an area saturated with notary signing agents. Title companies are rather unforgiving; get some signing service experience under you belt before tackling the big ones.

Reply by MIRNA on 5/20/05 4:53pm
Msg #39368

YES, I STARED MARKETING MY SELF WITH LENDERS WHEN I STARTED DOING THAT I DIN'T KNOW ABOUT SIGNIGN COMPANIES N'TILL I FOUND THEM IN THE INTERNET AND LEARNED ABOUT THEM THE DIFFERNCE I SEE IS THAT WE GET MORE CALLS FROM SIGNING COM. THAN FROM LENDERS THEMSELFS SO THERE IS A BIGER CHANCE TO MAKE MORE MONEY FROM SIGNING COM. THAN THERE IS FROM LENDERS. LET ME TELL YOU THE LENDER I DO WORK FOR IS THE LENDER WHO DID MY REFINANCE LAST TIME.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 5/20/05 6:27pm
Msg #39393

When you are just starting out $50 is good. You are getting experience.
However, having said that $50 is good, do not go more than 20 miles for that fee. (that is a 40 mile round trip).
I always suggest to new signing agents to sit down and set their fees.
Figure out mileage to the areas you cover. Then figure our $1.25 a mile for the signing.
So, if you go 20 miles, that is a 40 mile round trip, and $1.25 x 40 = $50, extra miles round up to the nearest $5.
When you get experience you can raise your base fee.

And being certified is not being experiences. I have often used certified agents to handle loan signings, and a lot of them, especially the new ones are far from error free, and require a certain amount of baby sitting. (and title companies will not "babysit" and if you make errors they are very unforgiving)

Reply by Mary-CA on 5/20/05 10:05pm
Msg #39426

I attempted to do a one signature on a consent for passport form in the jail today. I got $50. The inmate refused to sign it 2 times. I still got paid. I thought that was great. I was there 1 1/2 hours. Plus I passed out business cards. So...maybe more business.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.