Notary Rotary
Another posting on FEES
Notary Discussion History

Another posting on FEES
Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 11/18/05 1:19pm
Msg #77472

Another posting on FEES

I Live in a small town on the Oregon Coast. I am 70 miles from the " Big City" and 30 miles north and south from next closest towns about my towns size or smaller , mY town is 8,000. I charge $100 for over night docs $125 for e-docs and $150 for signings more than 30 miles out. I am One of maybe 5 Notaries in my immediate area and am told on a regular basis " you are the only notary in the Area" are my fees too much? I feel They will pay any one from Eugene,OR At least 125 or more to travel the 70 plus miles. I have may companies try to pay $50 and $75. Remember Gas is .20-.50 cents more here and Staples is not down the street I have to travel a min of 30 miles to get toner, paper ect. any suggestions I want to stand firm what would you do?

Reply by CaliNotary on 11/18/05 1:57pm
Msg #77477

If you're constantly being told that you're the only notary in the area, why on earth would you consider reducing your rates?

Charge whatever you need to charge to keep your business profitable. Otherwise what's the point of doing this?

Reply by cmd_NH on 11/18/05 2:16pm
Msg #77483

I agree with Cali....

I too, live in a very rural county in New Hampshire and I am also being told that I am the only one they can find.....but, they still try lowballing.....My fees are not unreasonable....I have done the research and adjust my fees accordingly. Lots of back roads and mountains around here. It's a 2 hour ride to staples for me....I'm not looking to get rich quick....I like the job, I like the independence, but I don't plan on taking advantage of the situation.....Still I will not work for nothing!!!!

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 11/18/05 2:19pm
Msg #77485

cmd NH

Hi cmd NH,

Where is Pittsburg NH? I was born and raised in Hanove, NH. Love the North East!!! Will be up there next week visiting my family for the holidays.

Reply by cmd_NH on 11/18/05 2:23pm
Msg #77487

Re: cmd NH

As far north as you can get in NH. About 2-1/2 hours from Hanover. Borders VT, ME, and Canada. Great Snowmobiling, hunting, fishing, ATV riding.....come check it out sometime. Hope you have a great visit with your family. Bring warm clothes.....20 degrees here today!

Reply by Art_MD on 11/18/05 2:29pm
Msg #77488

If I'm not mistaken, VT is an Attorney only state. Have you gotten into having borrowers cross into NH to do signings? They save $$$, youcharge $$$.

Art

Reply by cmd_NH on 11/18/05 2:34pm
Msg #77490

I've gotten lots of calls to go into Vermont, but none so far that have crossed over. Also been called for Maine quite a bit. Can't get my Notary in either state as I have to live or work there full time. Too bad, both have areas that are not too far from me. Oh well.....what can ya say. I stay pretty busy in my county though.

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 11/18/05 3:12pm
Msg #77497

I will be sure to bring lots of warm clothes. I must admit, my blood has thinned a lot since I moved to TX 9 years ago. LOL!!! I used to be a camp counselor in Montville, ME during the summer while I was a High School student. A lot of my friends that I went to HS with lived in Norwich, VT. A lot of people down here in Texas do not understand that I can go from State to State within 30 minutes. Of course, when I moved down here I thought I could go skiing in CO in about an (8) eight drive. I was sorely mistaken. Smiley I think the Texans thought I was crazy!!!

Reply by cmd_NH on 11/18/05 3:22pm
Msg #77499

eXpedN/TX

LOL!!! I know what you mean. I can get to Maine real quick through the logging roads. Vermont is right down the street (closer than the next town) and Canada is all around me, but I can only go there through the 3 border crossings in my area. Try to go another way and they'll catch you every time. Also you have to go through Vermont to get to part of Pittsburg.

Reply by MagicLadyCA on 11/18/05 4:54pm
Msg #77534

You are lucky you are one of about five notaries. I am in rural Northern California, but, the county I live in has about a dozen notaries and more than half of them are new. Unfortunately, they are willing to do the $45 and $50 dollar signings. I charge $75 for a signing and $25 for e-docs. I charge additional travel if I go to the coast, max is $150. I have been doing this for over two years and have over twenty years experience as a lender. I have had no problem with being paid my fees until about six months ago. Now I am getting asked to do the signings for $45 and $50. When I tell them my fee is $75, they tell me they will try to get that approved and I rarely hear back. I had two like that this week. It just burns my #$@#!! if you know what I mean.........

Reply by SSEmobile on 11/18/05 8:23pm
Msg #77569

As mentioned already, you're LUCKY to have so few notaries in your area.

Try working in San Diego where there are at least 200,000 notaries listed!!!!

Now, a couple of suggestions. I hope they will help.

First, as far as materials. I have toner, paper, and all other items needed for my office delivered, ordered from websites, for the same price as I pay locally, or, for most of it, LESS that I pay for it locally as it's without sales tax even with shipping added.

I order far enough in advance so they can ship by slow boat or mule train if they want, and I keep everything stocked up just fine. Consider it. You should in your location, believe me!

Second, start promoting your prices as being one of the FEW SA's around, WELL worth the price. You are.

Third, promotion helps. Write a single page email or letter that explains your location, your experience, and the fact that you are one of the FEW in your location, and then promote your experience and success level. Send it to EVERYONE who has ever called you with an assignment.

You'll get the calls, and they won't be quibbling with your price! :o]

Reply by LawrenceOK on 11/19/05 8:40am
Msg #77630

Darn good advise for all of us rural SA's.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.