Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Does anyone charge a fee for shredding docs?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by MsMatilde_FL on 11/20/05 10:37am
Msg #77782

Lender advised not to ship back as borrower did not want to sign, although new docs will re-drawn Monday. Would you charge for shredding both sets? Lender states they don't want to incurr overnight fee as docs mean nothing to them. TIA

Reply by NM_CO on 11/20/05 10:40am
Msg #77784

No, I wouldn't charge for that unless it takes you an hour to put the paper in the shredder.

Reply by MB_AZ on 11/20/05 10:42am
Msg #77786

I have a stack of docs that need destroyed. I'm waiting for it to get cold enough here to have a fire in the fireplace and burn them. I'm not paying to get them shredded and couldn't get the ss to pay either. My home/office shredder only accepts 5 sheets at a time...way to slow.

Reply by NM_CO on 11/20/05 10:43am
Msg #77787

LOL!!! Great idea MB! What a great fire starter that is! And while it's burning you can do a cheer with your egg nog!

Reply by MsMatilde_FL on 11/20/05 10:44am
Msg #77788

Thank you for your replies!

Reply by Danny_FL on 11/20/05 11:09am
Msg #77791

It all depends on did they pay you for printing the docs or not. If they pay you a print fee, then burn or shred at your whim. However, if they instruct to print, cancel, and then dont pay, I would think about charging a shred fee.

Danny

Reply by Beth/MD on 11/20/05 11:49am
Msg #77799

>> "I have a stack of docs that need destroyed. I'm waiting for it to get cold enough here to have a fire in the fireplace and burn them."<<

I have concern about just leaving docs "stacked and waiting" for the colder weather. What about privacy issues?

Reply by Anonymous on 11/20/05 12:01pm
Msg #77802

If I get paid for printing the docs, and end up with no sign I will go ahead and distroy the docs.
But if I was instructed to print and then for some reason they cancel and they dont want me to
pay me a print fee, I will call them and ask for my fee. If they refuse to pay me I will tell them
that I will call the borrower and explain the situation that I have all their info and the lender
doesnt want to pay for the destruction of docs with all their identity. That usually takes care of the the print fee
right away.

Reply by SueW/Tn on 11/20/05 12:16pm
Msg #77806

I'm sorry but I disagree with including the borrower in

my personal issues with the SS. The borrowers have already been charged and paid all necessary fees. Whining to them OR quietly inferring their docs were sitting on my table waiting to be revealed to the world is, in my opinion, totally unprofessional. IF I were the borrower that was on the receiving end of this type of phone call I would bitch my brains out to the lender about being threatened and harrassed because someone didn't pay the notary. Of course the notary would then be paid BUT wouldn't it be much more professional to deal with the LO/TC/SS yourself rather than involving someone who has already paid their fee? IF I were the LO or TC I would make a note NOT to have that notary OR SS ever again involved with my paperwork. This evidently is the age of whining and winning at all costs, there are other methods to collecting rather than giving the impression that you're not capable of handling a business situation without subtle threats.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/20/05 12:29pm
Msg #77807

I doubt seriously that the brat (Anon) does any of this...

Sue said: **I'm sorry but I disagree with including the borrower... **

Sue, I doubt seriously that today's brat posting under the name Anon does any of this. It's a good way to draw attention...you know, so the brat can sound big and important.

Reply by Beth/MD on 11/20/05 12:40pm
Msg #77813

Re: I doubt seriously that the brat (Anon) does any of this...

Definitely agree with the Brat posting issue!

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/20/05 12:43pm
Msg #77814

ot - beth:

Beth, I have meant to say so before, but have not found a good place to make mention...not that now is, but do not want to let the opportunity slip by to say thanks for your positive remarks in the past. brenda

Reply by Beth/MD on 11/20/05 12:45pm
Msg #77816

Re: ot - beth:, Brenda

That's easy when I'm surrounded by such wonderful people!
Thanks.

Reply by SueW/Tn on 11/20/05 12:44pm
Msg #77815

hmmmmm...Brenda....are you saying...

I'm another victim of the "gotcha" game? Dang!

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/20/05 12:50pm
Msg #77817

Re: hmmmmm...Brenda....are you saying... Yep, Sue...

As long as there are Anon posters, we will all be victims of the gotcha game. I look forward to the day that everyone has to gain a handle and stick to it. I don't care WHO the brats are...just that they are not allowed to stay bully-bratty anons.

We will see so much more good in this board and so much less bullying and bratty behavior.

Reply by Beth/MD on 11/20/05 12:53pm
Msg #77818

Re: hmmmmm...Brenda....are you saying... Yep, Sue...

They're never going to stop with the bratty replies. They will just use some generic handle. It's an ego thing.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/20/05 12:33pm
Msg #77808

Hi Beth...gotta confess...I do not shred each page immediately. I wait until I am able to do it at a time convenient to me. I am the only one running my business. Don't mean to say I sit around with stacks of docs, but I do work on them when *I* can. PS - no to the shredding fee. It's part of our business.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 11/20/05 12:37pm
Msg #77811

This time of year, I burn 'em in the wood stove.

Reply by Beth/MD on 11/20/05 12:38pm
Msg #77812

Brenda, I gotta to agree with you on not shredding immediately. I don't do that either. However, I don't want docs just sitting around, I guess that's my personal quirk. I just don't think I'd appreciate my personal info just stacked and waiting for winter! I guess it's just my issue.
I don't believe in charging a shredding fee, either.

Reply by Danny_FL on 11/20/05 1:24pm
Msg #77821

So your basically saying that its alright to print docs and not get paid for them? of am I missing something. If a TC or LO tells me to print, I print with the understanding I will receive compensation in either a print fee (as part of my edoc fee) or at least some type of shredding aspect if the signing goes south.

Thoughts?

Danny

Reply by Lee/AR on 11/20/05 5:49pm
Msg #77840

No, Danny..not getting paid for printing is NOT OK.

But I don't think I've ever heard of a 'shredding fee' (tho', gee, that's a good idea.... sort of a nice comeback to the latest round of fee-docking). Paying for printing is the norm. But, this is YOUR business and you dictate the terms. They accept your terms or find someone else. Real simple.

Reply by Nd_WA on 11/20/05 9:57pm
Msg #77869

Edocs fee is all inclusive as far as handling, printing, destroying.

As for shredding, I have a Fellowes heavy duty shredder and I sure am not going to spend the time it takes to shred loan packages. I save mine until there is enough then take them to a local document shredding company.

Reply by MsMatilde_FL on 11/20/05 11:36pm
Msg #77883

Thank you everyone for replying. FYI-I discussed it with the SS and they agreed to pay a cancellation fee. I like doing business with them and they pay on time. Thanks again for the feedback!

Reply by CarolynCO on 11/21/05 7:48am
Msg #77902

Yes, I do charge printing/shredding charge for cancellations, no signs, etc.

Reply by Anonymous on 11/23/05 9:37am
Msg #78391

Do you want the clients confidential data shredded?

Had a sign company cancel a signing after they mixed up the closing location and said they could not pay me anything. I said do you want your clients confidential data shredded? They paid me $30.00. Least they could do. I call the borrower to confirm but could not reach him due to his job. They guaranteed everything was all right. I missed other signings because of this.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.