Notary Rotary
Don't you just love it when .....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by MonicaFL on 11/10/05 5:29am
Msg #75560

You do two jobs for a Title Company and since the pay period in which they said they would pay you has gone by and you send them an e-mail reminder and they send you this:

We need a W-9, signed security agreement and a copy of your Notary Cert in order for you to get paid. If you have sent it before, send it again.

If I hadn't sent them a reminder I probably would still be waiting for my check. (I am actually still waiting but didn't get that e-mail until this A.M.) Hope I get paid for both jobs now since they say if you do a closing on the 1st, you will be paid on the 15th. I did tell them that I never received any requests for any of the above when I received the confirmation or did the work. Oh well. Just venting I guess.

Reply by PJM/MI on 11/10/05 7:23am
Msg #75563

The company tells you, "The check is in the mail".

Reply by MABrescia on 11/10/05 7:29am
Msg #75564

I hate that!!! Seem's like EVERYONE hears that sooner or later!

Reply by Danny_FL on 11/10/05 7:38am
Msg #75566

Its interesting they ask you for your cert AFTER you have done the signings, must be to lazy to look at your stamp...

Danny

Reply by LilyMD on 11/10/05 7:40am
Msg #75568

My sentiments exactly! If they're so worried about certification, etc. then why ask for it after the fact? I think it really traslates to "we pay slowly, so we'll use any excuse to keep you dangling."

Reply by CarolynCO on 11/10/05 8:37am
Msg #75576

When doing a first signing, whether for a TC or SS, you should automatically supply a W-9 -- whether they asked for it or not.

Reply by LilyMD on 11/10/05 8:57am
Msg #75585

True, but these companies act like they've never received them. I just can't believe I have that many problems faxing W-9s!

Reply by CarolynCO on 11/10/05 9:07am
Msg #75589

I never supply the W-9 when first signing up with the company -- because of the fact I don't know where it will end up. I always advise that it will be furnished after the first signing -- then it depends on how I will furnish it. If TC, I normally include it in the return package with my invoice. If SS, I either fax with my invoice, e-mail a scanned image, or send by U.S. mail. I've never had a problem of them telling me they never got it.

Reply by LilyMD on 11/10/05 9:16am
Msg #75590

Wow, Carolyn, you're lucky to have never had that problem. I usually furnish my W-9 after first signing (when requested) and still there are some out there that claim they never received it. Come to think of it, I've never had this happen with a TC just a SS. I really only do business with a select few SS anymore.

Reply by CarolynCO on 11/10/05 9:39am
Msg #75599

Re: We should do it automatically

Lily, I guess I've never thought of being lucky because one of my W-9's has never been misplaced. The biggest point I was trying to stress was that it is *our* responsibility to furnish the W-9 after completing the first signing -- even if we weren't told to do so.

Reply by Cherilyn_CO on 11/10/05 10:35am
Msg #75609

Maybe it's just because my husband's been SE for years...

I always ask before I even do a signing for a new (to me) company...

"What do I need to do to get paid?" I always ask what their Accounting dept needs to process payment. Is there some sort of packet I need to fill out? W-9? Drop of blood?

My husband is a Stucco Contractor and sometimes, they need our first born (happily handed over as she's 15 and knows everything) in order to pay us! I don't want anything to hold up payment when the time comes so I make sure everything is in order before I submit my invoice, whether it's a $20,000.00 invoice to a builder, or a $100.00 invoice to a SS, doesn't matter. I make sure that I've done everything on my end.

Reply by MonicaFL on 11/12/05 9:40am
Msg #76127

I did supply it. The key here is: If you already provided it, provide it again!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.