Notary Rotary
Edocs; venting and question.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Donna McKamy on 11/15/05 2:12pm
Msg #76735

A newbie in the edocs/signing work. Got my laser printer. All working fairly well unti last week. Edocs/email somehow hung my computer/printer. I was 4 hours printing a ream of paper, using toner, until we cancelled the job. I suggested they overnite me the docs and all would be well. Never heard from them again. Read on a forum post that the company is notorious for not paying, so I was better off anyway. I've unlisted my edocs for now to take a breather from that hassle. May not get any business, but oh well for now.

My question is: What is the urgency in having edocs instead of them overnighting the docs to the notary?

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 11/15/05 2:19pm
Msg #76738

Most obvious is $$$...they save it by using YOUR time, YOUR paper, YOUR toner and YOUR time. They also don't have to pay another employee to do it and they don't have to pay o-nite shipping costs. In addition, where they were waiting till the LAST MINUTE when they were faxings docs....now they can wait till the LAST SECOND.

Reply by NM_CO on 11/15/05 2:20pm
Msg #76740

Most docs are not ready until 5 seconds before the closing. I'm just kidding about the 5 seconds but on average I would say most docs are not ready to go until the day of the closings.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/15/05 6:14pm
Msg #76802

Shucks, I was hoping they improved. Here it is an hour and 15 minutes past the scheduled appointment time and still no docs. Another 15 minutes and the deal's off.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 11/15/05 2:42pm
Msg #76746

Don't eliminate edocs from your services. It took me a little time to get the equipment problem worked out, but now that I have Edocs are just about all I do and I find that the last minute signings net me more money. Everything working properly doesn't take very long to print ( get a printer that is 20 pages per minute or more). I do have backup of everything so I am never down. (Last night, the hard drive blew on my desktop computer, so I just grabbed my laptop to complete the job). I also made sure that I have every program out there that is used to print documents before I began.
There is a lot of good info on this board concerning printers, computers and the necessary programs used by the various companies to send and print docs. This is where I got the info when I first began.
Yes, I know it can cost some money, but you have to spent money to make money .

Good Luck

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 11/15/05 2:44pm
Msg #76747

oops, that's spend money to make money.

Reply by SLB SIGNING SERVICES, INC. - Sherry on 11/15/05 3:11pm
Msg #76752

JUST make sure that the printer you have has.....

the correct amount of memory (PCL 6or higher)....You need more memory to be able to print such large packages. We often run into SA's who cannot print because their computer are not PCL 6 compatible and what happens is that when they try and print the docs from they get all of this garbbled mess that just keeps printing and printing...

Reply by Beth/MD on 11/15/05 3:12pm
Msg #76753

Re: JUST make sure that the printer you have has.....

It sounds like the printer memory wasn't enough for the job. What kind of printer are you using?

Reply by travel2sign on 11/15/05 3:38pm
Msg #76755

HP LaserJet 1022

Reply by SLB SIGNING SERVICES, INC. - Sherry on 11/15/05 3:44pm
Msg #76758

That printer DOES NOT have enough PCL to accomodate the size packages that you are printing..You need to have an HP 1200 or better...

Reply by Beth/MD on 11/15/05 3:54pm
Msg #76761

Sherry's right. That's what caused your malfunction.

Reply by Tennessee on 11/15/05 5:12pm
Msg #76794

I have a HP 1010 and.......

in 6 months I haven't had a problem with it. The largest package I had was a 163 page piggy back that printed fine with no problems. I have every intention of upgrading as business dictates but right now this printer just hums right along.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/15/05 6:31pm
Msg #76807

PCL doesn't come in a quantity. Either you have PCL or you don't. PCL is not memory. Memory is not PCL. PCL means "Page Control Language". Like English, French, Russian ... they are languages people understand. PCL is a language printers, with the appropriate drivers and engines, understand.

Please stick with running your business, customer service and notary management. That you do well. Leave the techni-babble to us nerds who understand it and can properly explain it.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 11/15/05 5:05pm
Msg #76791

PCL6 is a printer language, not memory.

Don't get the two confused. You can have a printer with tons of memory (RAM), but if it does not understand the language (PCL), it wont work. There are plenty of printers on the market that fit the bill.

I use a brother 5140 with 16mb of memory, just the way it came from the factory. In your windows preferences with any printer, you can choose to use windows print manager which will use your computer's resourses. The problem comes when you are using a prgram that prints directly to the printer. That is where the language is a problem. Most all the programs that print directly to the printer now have a viewer (elynx, dynamic docs ect, ) that allows you to choose to use windows preferences.

Reply by SLB SIGNING SERVICES, INC. - Sherry on 11/15/05 5:51pm
Msg #76801

Re: PCL6 is a printer language, not memory.

Thank you for clarifying that Glenn...my boo boo..I apologize for confusing everyone...I just know that PCL had something to do with printing issues and I guess I just assumed that it had to do with memory. I know at one time, Dynamic Docs was the site that had the biggest problems with printing in printers that werent PCL 6 compatible...I have also run into the most problems with Brother (I am by no means bashing Brother but this is just my personal experience). I have heard that there arent as many problems as there used to be though.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/15/05 6:24pm
Msg #76803

Sherry, PCL6 is a language for **printers**, not memory for a PC. When looking for printers it is imperative that the printer have either PCL 5e or PCL 6 capability. (There is no functional difference between PCL 5e and 6, only the language syntax. And I don't know of any document producer who is using PCL 6 development tools.) Any Windows based, and many Mac computers can handle PCL encoded document files. PCL is not computer dependent, only printer dependent.

Of course, the more memory (both PC and printer) that's available, the better.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 11/16/05 8:52am
Msg #76883

Sherry, PCL is a printer language, not memory.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.