For CA notaries - Identification
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by tpnotary on 11/7/05 12:51pm
Msg #74830

Can anyone tell me how I would handle notarization of someone who license
say: example Mary Diane Smith but documents she is signing says Diane M. Smith.
Can I still notarize using that license?

I know that the identification document can contain more information than the signature but even if it is in the wrong order on the document?

Thanks for your help

Reply by srnotary_CA on 11/7/05 12:55pm
Msg #74831

Call the SS and see what they want you to do.

Reply by Tina_MA on 11/7/05 6:46pm
Msg #74894

>>Call the SS and see what they want you to do.<<

First, you should check your state/commonwealth's Notary Laws.

Second, if you cannot find the answer -- or it's not clear -- call your state/commonwealth's SOS for clarification.

Third, once you've found your answer in your state/commonwealth's law -- or called the SOS for clarification -- THEN you can call the SS and let them know what your * state/commonwealth's law* is pertaining to ID.

Reply by B__CA on 11/7/05 1:02pm
Msg #74835

Better yet, call the SOS and see if you can accept the ID?

Reply by John_NorCal on 11/7/05 2:11pm
Msg #74861

Does she have any other ID that you can correllate to Diane M. Smith? You have to be sure in your mind that she is one and the same person.

Reply by Kelly M Robertson on 11/8/05 8:17am
Msg #74984

You CANNOT use that ID

Just ask for an alternate form of acceptable ID (legally acceptable in the State of CA) or get two Credible Witnesses and be done with it. Forget about calling the SS for advice -- why would you do that??? Follow the law and TELL the SS what you're going to do.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.