Notary Rotary
GPS question
Notary Discussion History

GPS question
Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Beth/MD on 11/21/05 1:41pm
Msg #78010

GPS question

Anyone have an opinion or recommendation concerning portable GPS? I am wanting to give my parents this as a Christmas gift. I was wondering has anyone used the Magellan Roadmate 300?

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 11/21/05 1:46pm
Msg #78013

I recommend one of the Gramin eTrex GPS's. The eTrex Vista C GPS is great for people that like to be outside...take hikes, camp, scuba dive, etc. I use mine attached to the handlebars of my F650GS motorcycle. http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVistac/ Works great!!! Very durable. Easy to use. It's a bit smaller than the Magellan model you mentioned above, but I prefer to pack light. - Melissa

Reply by Beth/MD on 11/21/05 1:49pm
Msg #78014

Easy to use is what I'm looking for. My dad claims my mom has direction issues and my mom says it's my dad. They love to travel, so I think this might be a great gift.

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 11/21/05 1:53pm
Msg #78015

The screen may be a tad small, but I would recommend looking in to it. I can also hook mine up to my laptop which I run Microsoft Streets & Trips. It talks and I can of course see the screen much easier....I use this set-up in my car, not 2-wheeling. Smiley The Vista is the more expensive one, but they also have the Legend and such. They may not need the bells and whistles on the Vista. It really is sturdy, though. It is water resistant and can easily be placed in your pocket. Either way, I would get the color screen. It'll be much easier to see. - Melissa

Reply by newlysmomva on 11/21/05 2:00pm
Msg #78016

Re: GPS question-direction issues, I love it! n/m

Reply by Charles_Ca on 11/21/05 2:08pm
Msg #78019

Depends on how they plan to use it.

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CS and Ilove it. Its protable and I have a clip to hold it on the handlebars of my mountain bike as well as the dashboard of my car. This GPS has a lot of features that are useful in my real estate business, I can locate property locations and now some fo the MLS have a place of listing property coordinates. However if your parents are going to get a unit primarily to use in the car then there are some excellent products with a large screen that are dedicated for onboard use in cars. I would start with a list of what they wold use it for and then decide on which unit is best. There is also a game called geocaching which uses GPS and the site www.geocaching.com that has a good discussion of the vrious pros and cons of GPS units. I bought min from www.GPSonSale.com and would recommend that site also. They handle Garmin, Magellan and a few others and have excellent pricing as well as good descriptions of the various units. Good luck!

Reply by Beth/MD on 11/21/05 2:14pm
Msg #78021

Re: Depends on how they plan to use it.

Good advice, Charles. I think my parents will primarily use it in the car for finding a particular location. I really need something that isn't too technical. My dad is a retired engineer and can't spell computer!

Reply by Charles_Ca on 11/21/05 6:49pm
Msg #78065

I think I saw a TomTom unit at Costco, good price and a nice large display. I have some others on this site discuss the TomTom. Seems to be an contradiction in terms regarding your dad, an "engineer and can't spell computer"

Reply by Beth/MD on 11/21/05 6:52pm
Msg #78067

That's my dad...a contradiction in terms! I've been researching all of the suggestions you made earlier. I'm definitely looking for something easy to read, easy to operate.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 11/21/05 7:09pm
Msg #78072

Check out www.tomtom.com..

I haven't really looked into these but the touch screen and remote call feature seem nice and I have seem them, they have a nice bright display.

Reply by Beth/MD on 11/21/05 7:26pm
Msg #78078

Re: thanks Charles...n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.