Notary Rotary
Good Mornin Ya ALL!! The virus mess is DOA
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Teddog_CO on 11/22/05 9:34am
Msg #78169

Looks like McAfee earned it's keep last night. It appears that the virus is DOA and everything is running well. Anyone have any idea where that virus came from? The reason is most of those e-mails are directed to notaries, registration confirmation,..etc. Coming through with zippered folders. Whoever it is might want to get help resolving their issues. Personally I think it's a sick thing to be doing. But there again it's something I would never think about doing (not that smart about computers) the Feds will catch-up with them at some point. They have people that know what they are doing.

Well, Everyone Have A Great Day!!!

Teddog

Reply by Anne/IL on 11/22/05 9:36am
Msg #78172

Good morning!!

I got them too, about 7-8 since last night that were sent directly to my "bulk" folder...what a pain!!

Reply by SLM_CALIF on 11/22/05 7:13pm
Msg #78289

Yep... I received them too. What a day... trying to get rid of it. But I successfully got rid of it. !!!!

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 11/22/05 9:59am
Msg #78173

Good Morning to you too!
My antivirus is going nuts too. I wonder where it came from. I'm getting a lot from some of my TC's and even supposedly, from the notaries here.
O/T --Just wanted to say that I love reading your posts, you are so up beat! Thanks!

Reply by Teddog_CO on 11/22/05 10:11am
Msg #78175

Hi ! Bonnie,

Thanks for the kind words. That's what throws you off they are from TC's that you work for but you're not expecting anything because you're already registered with them. They must be hacking into our addresses books. Last night I just deleted all the addresses in my book just to be sure. I have a hard copy of them so it's no big deal they'll just go into the bulk folder.
Just proves my point about Not using your name on these sites or linking up you never really know who you're dealing with (just like they say on tv!)
Bonnie have a Great day and Thanksgiving! Over all we all have a lot to be thankful for!!!

Teddog

Reply by SSEmobile on 11/22/05 11:28am
Msg #78198

>That's what throws you off they are from TC's that you work for but you're not expecting
>anything because you're already registered with them. They must be hacking into our
>addresses books.

It's unlikely these are coming from SS offices at all. BUT, the SS office computer's are infected with a virus that does exacftly that, uses the host's address book to deploy a trojan.

Since the infamous "I love you" virus this has been the thing that brings many systems down, that you THINK the email is from somebody you know, so you open the file and deploy the virus or trojan horse into your system.

I never open ANYTHING I get via email until after it gets checked for virus tendancies with the very latest virus DAT file.

Keep those DAT file updated (use auto-update), as there are new virus's written every month.

And DON'T take any chances. CHECK everything!!!

Reply by CarolynCO on 11/22/05 10:15am
Msg #78176

TDog - FYI I'm getting your e-mails kicked back to me. You might want to check and make sure that after the virus, everything is up and running.

Reply by Teddog_CO on 11/22/05 10:26am
Msg #78180

Thanks Carolyn,

I'll do another virus scan.

Reply by Teddog_CO on 11/22/05 10:29am
Msg #78182

CarolynCO please try msn.com

Reply by Fp_CA on 11/22/05 11:36am
Msg #78199

Becareful, I just receive a bunch of crazy e-mails and I almost click in one of those. It has virus detected. Thank you for all your inputs in this great chat.

Reply by CarolynCO on 11/22/05 12:38pm
Msg #78203

I use Norton Professional and I have the capability (and it is set up) to scan ALL incoming and outgoing e-mails -- so if something is being sent to me that is infected, it dumps it first or won't send it (from me) if one of my machines becomes infected. I also have three firewalls in place.

Reply by asnotary/CA on 11/22/05 1:00pm
Msg #78207

thanks all of you, now i know not to open them, and i have been getting them from "yahoo" they say. telling me they are closing my membership so i have open them. tried... but Norton would not let it happen. Thank God.. I learn something new every day.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.