Notary Rotary
Got a Jr. question......
Notary Discussion History

Got a Jr. question......
Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Brasring_Ca on 11/22/05 12:59pm
Msg #78205

Got a Jr. question......

I have a signing this afternoon and Mr. Borrower does not have Jr. on ID. This to me means that I can not verify that he is in fact a Jr. and we will have to cross out on the docs if TC okays or cancel and reprint docs, right? TIA Jenifer

Reply by srnotary_CA on 11/22/05 1:25pm
Msg #78215

You have to be able to accurately identify the signer. Does he have any other form of ID with jr on it like his social security card or anything else with a picture and the jr on it? If not hten see what SS or Title company says.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 11/22/05 1:27pm
Msg #78218

SS cards are not an acceptable form of ID in CA

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 11/22/05 1:26pm
Msg #78216

If Jr. is on the docs but not on the ID you can't notarize his signature with the Jr included in it. The TC or lender has to decide whether to have the borrower to make the changes and initial or to redraw.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 11/22/05 1:27pm
Msg #78217

that is unless the borrower can get two credible witnesses.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 11/22/05 1:31pm
Msg #78221

I know it is not an acceptable form of id by itself. I was thinking that if he had another id of some form with the jr and the Social security card it would help verify his identity as jr.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 11/22/05 1:42pm
Msg #78225

****I know it is not an acceptable form of id by itself.****
It's not an acceptable form at all. It doesn't contain PIPS. No physical description or photo, it's not on the list of acceptable forms of ID, and cannot be used in identifying someone. We are bound by law on what we can use to ID someone; therefore we can't rely on an ss card at all when ID'ing someone.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 11/22/05 1:47pm
Msg #78226

ok apparently I am not making myself clear. I know that is is not an acceptable form of id. (guess I need more coffee) but we were told in class that in order to corroborate an ID such as a work id or anything like ( which some work id's have pips) that we could look at the Social security card as well to confirm that it is in fact the person on the loan "not to notarise". Does that make sense? If there is any doubt as to this person being the one on the loan or any other doc. It is just another way to be sure. If looking at the id is not as clear as it should be.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 11/22/05 2:01pm
Msg #78228

****to corroborate an ID such as a work id or anything like ( which some work id's have pips) that we could look at the Social security card****
Work ID's are also unacceptable (unless it's military ID of course). What good is looking at one unaccpetable form ID to corroborate a different unacceptable form of ID going to do when you at the least are going to be notarizing the Deed or Mortgage.

****If there is any doubt as to this person being the one on the loan or any other doc. It is just another way to be sure. If looking at the id is not as clear as it should be.****
If the ID is has less than what the docs have you cannot satisfactorily ID the person to notarize the signature. Therefore it is not "another way to be sure". The ID must not have less than the signature to be notarized.

Ok one exception may be if you get one of those assignments to take the loan application to the borrower and have them fill it out and sign it. There is nothing to be notarized.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 11/22/05 2:06pm
Msg #78231

But the military ID is no longer an acceptable form of id if it is the nerewer version which has the PIPS in a magnetic strip not on the card like th old ones do.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 11/22/05 2:44pm
Msg #78241

Oh I know, I'd hate to have to explain that to someone in the service at a signing. But the law comes first and how I feel personally doesn't matter.

Reply by Blueink_CA on 11/22/05 2:10pm
Msg #78233

Brasring, did the TC okay crossing out the Jr.? n/m

Reply by Brasring_Ca on 11/22/05 2:51pm
Msg #78243

Re: Brasring, did the TC okay crossing out the Jr.? n/m

I have contacted the TC and they are deciding wheither or not to E-doc me a new DOT. They said on all other pages to just have Mr. Borrower cross out the Jr. and initial it everywhere it appears.

He has no other way to verify the Jr. but by birth cert. which we cannot use and his credit cards also have it that way, also unacceptable.

Thank you all for your help! Smiley Jenifer

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.