Notary Rotary
Here's another Urban Myth regarding your card keys
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Charles_Ca on 11/12/05 6:12pm
Msg #76182

used in Hotel rooms straight from the fear mongers at the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, they are sugesting that you keep your magnetic cards used to access hotel rooms because it was discovered that hotels are placing personal information on the magnetic strips including names, partial addresses and credit card numbers. Just thought I'd pass it on since I read a lot of obscure and questionable marterial in my shady capacity as Notary, LO and Realtor.

Reply by Chris_NJ on 11/12/05 6:17pm
Msg #76184

THX. always worth looking at!

Reply by Charles_Ca on 11/12/05 6:24pm
Msg #76188

After my last debacle I'm not so sure!!! NM

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/12/05 6:37pm
Msg #76191

Urban Legend

Again, from the wonderful world of Snopes:
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/hotelkey.asp

Reply by GEN_LEE on 11/12/05 6:37pm
Msg #76193

If one would keep the card key issued by a hotel, would the hotel charge for a replacement?

Reply by Charles_Ca on 11/12/05 6:39pm
Msg #76194

Could be, came from the same publication!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/12/05 6:47pm
Msg #76197

Some chains do say they will, but I don't think they would spend the money in billing the 13 cents for a lost key card. Most just ask that you mail it back.

Reply by Anonymous on 11/12/05 9:30pm
Msg #76214

I would be suprised at this. The data would be so easy to crack this would be widely known. I think the hotels would be at risk of being sued by customers if it lead to identity theft.

Can you imagine that any one them would want to be exposed to that?

One breach and tons of reservations could be cancelled, their reputation permantely scared, and it would be right up their with the Wendy's finger in the Chilly.

I do not think they want to be exposed identity theft risk.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.