Notary Rotary
I know there are a couple computer wizs' out there
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Brijoe_WA on 11/4/05 6:12pm
Msg #74450

I have a computer issue, and I know this is a little off the subject here but I think there may be a few people out there that may be able to help me.

My computer is running super super slow and I need to reformat my hard drive, however, I have XP which came loaded on my comp. but the disk didnt come with my computer. Is there a way I can make an instalation disk from my windows system on my comp. right now? I really dont want to spend 100 and some dollars for a new xp program when I already have it. What can I do? Does anyone have any suggestions? With my comp. having issues, my business has issues along with it. HEEEEEELLLLLPPPP

Reply by LisaWI on 11/4/05 6:22pm
Msg #74451

I dont know if this is the answer you're looking for and maybe you already did this, but did you defragment your computer and also get rid of any files or folders your not using? Also delete all cookies(online and offline)?

Reply by RhondaFL on 11/4/05 6:26pm
Msg #74454

Can you still make a back up copy, I had this problem once, and I was not able to make a back up copy, I called Tech support they had offered to send me one if I was not able to resolve the issue I had at the time. We have a right to this software, we are paying for that license when we purchase our computers, so you don't have to go out and bye another one. If you are unable to get any help contact Tech Support. Sometime just clearing the cache helps or the temporary files.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 11/4/05 6:28pm
Msg #74456

Have you tried the system restore point and you should not have to reinstal windows when you do a defrag or anything like that.

Reply by Nd_WA on 11/4/05 8:17pm
Msg #74471

One common cause of slow computer is you may have too many unnecessary application running in the background. How many icon do you see showing next to the clock at the bottom? Some of those application could be sucking up the resource (memory) causing your comp to be slow.

Reply by Brijoe_WA on 11/4/05 8:56pm
Msg #74478

Thank you all for suggestions. Here is what I have done so far.

I have deleted all cookies and temp internet files, and have done disk defragment. I have not done a restore point because when I go into the restore window the earliest date I can restore to is sept 20 2005 and I had problems then too. I am not sure if I am doing that right, I would like to restore back to last year. As far as the restore disk, I am not sure of how to make one.

I have 7 icons showing next to the clock, I am not sure how to turn those off. It does make me mad that I buy this comp. with xp on there but I have no disk. What I need to do is find someone with an xp disk that I can use.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 11/4/05 9:34pm
Msg #74483

The number one reason for slow running is spyware

You should be running 2 or 3 anti spyware programs and a good anti virus program. You should have done all your windows updates off the microsoft website (windows update in your start menu)

You can get a microsofts antispyware program off of their website, also adaware by lavasoft and spybot. All are free and you can download simply by googling the item and choosing your download site.

There are a lot of good anti virus programs out there. I personally subscribe to Macafee.com. This wont be free, but it works well. There is also a firewall program that I use.

I would do this rather than restore first.

Also, since you are running XP, you can restore your system settings to an earilier date by going to start, run then typing in restore. The restore program will start and you will be able to set your computer to a date where the system was working properly. But using restore won't get rid of spyware programs or viruses.

A lot of computers don't come with disks. When you first use the computer, some of them have a function where you create your own disks. You need to refer to your manual or help file to see just how to do it as it is different with different brands.

Check to make sure you don't have any spyware or viruses on your computer before you resort to reloading it. You could go through all the work of reloading you computer to factory new conditions and if you do not have protection, then the problem will just come back.

Good Luck

Reply by Brijoe_WA on 11/4/05 10:18pm
Msg #74489

Re: The number one reason for slow running is spyware

I run 2 anti spyware programs and I also have McAfee as well. I am pretty sure I do not have any viruses or spyware. I went into the restore program, but the earliest date I can restore to is sept. 20 witch is only 3 months ago. Why cant I go back earlier than that?

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 11/5/05 11:17am
Msg #74567

I agree with Glenn

You have to get all that spyware off your computer also a security program is needed. If you don't you won't be able to use your computer soon it will be completely clogged.

Reply by Cherilyn_CO on 11/5/05 8:45am
Msg #74540

Run MSCONFIG from the start menu

got to start, run and type in MSCONFIG. Your system configuration will come up. If you go to the start up tab, you will see what programs really are running when you turn on your computer. Many times, virus and spyware will get in there and execute upon start up every time.

I do this about once a week and there's always something in my start up that I didn't initiate.

Reply by BetsyMI on 11/5/05 10:28am
Msg #74558

Re: Run MSCONFIG from the start menu

I had similar problems and the computer tech that came out to my home did a "clean disk" and "defrag" but she also said McAfee is really slowing my system down. I removed McAfee Privacy, kept the Virus Scan and Firewall, and it does run better.

You might want to spend a few bucks and have a professional look at it. We were going to format my hard drive too, but when the tech came out here she didn't think it was that severe so she just cleaned things out and although it's not perfect, it's much better.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.