Notary Rotary
I'm being spoofed again
Notary Discussion History

I'm being spoofed again
Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Becca_FL on 11/21/05 8:50pm
Msg #78099

I'm being spoofed again

If you get an email from floridas<nospam>[e-mail address] (omit the no spam) don't open it. I've had 8 messages tonight in my bulk folder saying undeliverable mail and I've only sent two emails today.

Last time this happened, I was getting 80-100 undiliverable messages per day.

I'm de-funking (that's DE-FUNK-ING, calm down) my system now. I hope we don't have another epidemic (sp) of this again.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 11/21/05 8:57pm
Msg #78104

The amount of garbage I am receiving is way up. I don't even bother to scan stuff to much anymore and If it is from someone I don't know I just delete it. Be expecially wary of any knid of zip or .exe file attatched to your email. There seem to be a couple of ss that must have their system infectec as I am getting several of the same emails from the same source. Sure sign of a virus.

Reply by Becca_FL on 11/21/05 9:09pm
Msg #78107

Sometimes, I get docs in my bulk folder. I had a larger than normal file from a Co. that I do business with in my bulk mail tonight and opened the mail. I did not open the attachment but, once I saw the the message in the body of the email, I deleted the message and the three others in my bulk box.

I guess that was enough to start the dang thing.

Reply by cntrlcalntry on 11/21/05 9:00pm
Msg #78105

Re: I'm also getting weird messages.

Got an e-mail from a notary that says they are getting my email by mistake and asks me to open some file. Didn't open it. Sound wierd?

Reply by Rebecca_TN on 11/21/05 9:28pm
Msg #78109

Becca: What are you doing to "de-funk" your system?

Reply by Becca_FL on 11/21/05 9:38pm
Msg #78111

I'm running Norton. The last time this happened it seemed like the "thing" just had to run it's course. I guess that's why they call it a virus?

Reply by Becca_FL on 11/21/05 10:12pm
Msg #78117

Good news, bad news........

No funk found, but I'm still getting undeliverable mail and mail from [e-mail address] well known domains.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/21/05 9:37pm
Msg #78110

Spoofing happening to me also, I am getting a lot of notices that I have been looking at illegal websites and the FBI is after me. They have attachments with them, so of course you don't want to open those. It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys online, isn't it?

Reply by Becca_FL on 11/21/05 9:43pm
Msg #78113

Re: I'm being spoofed again - Brenda

Gee - I'm not getting messages from the FBI or CIA.

Brenda & Sylvia, are you just pervs. pretending to be public servants, or am I missing a really good web page?

Please advise. I wouldn't want to miss anything.

Reply by DLarson_FL on 11/21/05 10:12pm
Msg #78118

Similar messages here. CIA, FBI, HomelandMortgage, and more. Eight in all today. My virus scanner (McAfee) deleted all the attachments.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/22/05 5:39am
Msg #78142

Gee, Becca, I'll forward all of the ones I got to ya! I received over 100 from the FBI and CIA saying that my IP address has been logged on illegal sites. It's EOM, who has the time to visit all these 'illegal' sites? Smiley

Reply by Anonymous on 11/22/05 4:35pm
Msg #78260

The FBI/CIA one is the Sober virus. DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT!!!

Reply by Laura Upton on 11/21/05 10:20pm
Msg #78119

i am getting it too. its approx 75k; going to the bulk mailbox saying undeliverable and it seems to have some of the companies i have been working with emails. i have only gotten 8 today; i hope its over.

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 11/21/05 10:28pm
Msg #78121

I'm getting them too, from SS and title companies supposedly, Norton detected a virus in it's email scan of the mail I got so I didn't open it, also lots of emails saying "Hi I've got a new email address" and "Here is your user name/ password"
What a PITA! LOL

Reply by Becca_FL on 11/21/05 10:34pm
Msg #78123

Re: I'm being spoofed again - Bonnie...

>>>also lots of emails saying "Hi I've got a new email address" and "Here is your user name/ password"<<<

I'm getting these too, but no CIA or FBI warnings.

Someone is really "bugging" the Notary community.

Reply by Jan_In on 11/21/05 10:40pm
Msg #78124

AA friend e-mailed me a warning of an E-mail saying "life is beautiful

A friend sent me an e-mail saying there is a virus going around that says "Life is beautiful" then when you open it, it says "It is too late your life is no longer beautiful". It then gets your e-mail, password and access to your PC and you lose everything. Acording to this they don't have anyway of stopping it yet at aol or microsoft.

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 11/21/05 10:43pm
Msg #78125

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely not open that one if I get something like that!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/22/05 5:43am
Msg #78143

Symantec Security Response encourages you to ignore any messages regarding this hoax. It is harmless and is intended only to cause unwarranted concern.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/life.is.beautiful.hoax.html

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 11/22/05 9:36am
Msg #78170

Paw........

Thanks for the link! I think my Norton is slowing down some of these incoming emails....Keeping my fingers crossed! I did however get one from you this morning Paw! The Subject line had something about Paris Hilton and someone else...don't remember the guys name. I just looked at it and thought, "like a notary would be sending out celebrity gossip to everyone....riiiiiiiiiight" and just deleted it.
Gets a little frustrating when you are waiting on docs and open your email and see something from the TC and then see it's a .zip file as an attachment. I just delete it.

Reply by Teddog_CO on 11/22/05 12:27am
Msg #78136

Becca FL

I'm running virus scan right now. A load of emails what a way to end the day!! I didn't open anything. McAfee is deleting like crazy and isolating (a worm) looks like it affected emails I got today also. Hard to tell untill the virus scan if finished. Some one got me.

Will let you know what happens. Yikes !

Reply by christiSocal on 11/22/05 1:09am
Msg #78138

the FBI and CIA ones are being talked about on the news too.

Reply by Mung/CA on 11/22/05 2:03am
Msg #78141

Avast anti-virus is worth checking out

If you don't have a good anti-virus program, check out Avast. It's free and it works great.

Reply by Lee/AR on 11/22/05 7:09am
Msg #78155

This is the #1 & only reason I don't use my real name, link to my profile or post my email addy . Been there/done that/wasn't fun/not a repeater.

Reply by JHS/FL on 11/22/05 1:09pm
Msg #78209

Norton Anti virus warned me about this virus and downloaded protection for it. If you go to there site it says it is a bulk mailing progam.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[e-mail address]

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.