Notary Rotary
Ink; Black vs Blue
Notary Discussion History

Ink; Black vs Blue
Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by travel2sign on 11/16/05 1:49pm
Msg #76978

Ink; Black vs Blue

Montana now requires black ink on notary info. Signature can be in blue, but information must be black or there are additional charges per page. Go figure.

Reply by Art_MD on 11/16/05 2:00pm
Msg #76985

Since you are new, you must follow TC/SS/ Lenders requirements for signature colors. Some blue, some black, some don't say. Some SA on this site always go blue, some always go black if not directed to use a specific color.

Art

Reply by Tina_MA on 11/16/05 2:14pm
Msg #76997

>>>.....you must follow TC/SS/ Lenders requirements for signature colors.<<<

I would suggest that you inform the companies that hire you of your state's new recording requirements, and then let them decide if they want to pay more for different ink color.

Please note that the companies that hire you cannot dictate what color ink you use in your notarization blocks. That is dictated solely by your state's Notary Laws.

Reply by Art_MD on 11/16/05 2:20pm
Msg #77001

Per the original post, the requirement refers only to notary block.

Art

Reply by Ted_MI on 11/16/05 6:35pm
Msg #77072

Re: Art, with all due respect .........

Let me just say for one I am not new. And with respect to following TC/SS/Lenders requirements, yes I appreciate that they they are calling the shots. But my experience has been that quite often they have no idea what specific state requirements are. Now granted that that comment is limited to Michigan, where I am located. And Michigan's statutes are from my pespective somewhat unusual. The signatures can be in blue or in black, but all the rest (and I am referring specifically to mortgages) must be in black ink.

Do I speak from personal experience? Yes, unfortunately. I did a signing all in blue ink about nine months ago and the mortgage got rejected by the local register of deeds office, as the notary part of the mortgage was not in black ink. Live and learn.

Reply by Art_MD on 11/16/05 8:40pm
Msg #77091

Re: Ted..

Sorry about the "new" comment, but that's how I read the "Kuddos" posting - from a new SA. I read your post as saying that "notary info" must be in black. I read this to be from venue down - black. Everything else blue or black? Or, did I misread the original post?

Art

Reply by css_mi on 11/17/05 9:02am
Msg #77138

Re: Ted..

I have always used the same color ink throughout the paperwork and (so far) have never had an issue. I decided to call the Genesee County Register of Deeds to ask them what is the correct color for our notary section. She said that they require either blue or black. She said that she didn't know what the State of MI required, this was their requirement!

Reply by Ted_MI on 11/17/05 7:12pm
Msg #77279

Re: That's fine, but .....

Genesee County apparently is not following the dictates of the state of Michigan, as set forth in a statute passed in 1997, that is very, very specific as to the type of ink that can be used and exactly where it can be used.

As a cautionary note, if you handle any signings outside Genesee county, I would make sure that you use black ink for the notary block on the mortgage and everywhere else on the mortgage with the exception of the borrowers' signature line.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.