Notary Rotary
Knowledge of basic Notarial Procedure and Law
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Tina_MA on 11/5/05 12:12pm
Msg #74577

I have noticed an increase in questions pertaining to basic Notarial Procedure and Law lately.

Everyone should know their state/commonwealth's basic Notarial Procedure and Law cold.

While I have been a Notary for a few years, I still re-read the law every once in a while to make certain that I'm following it correctly -- especially when it comes to ID, credible witnesses, notarial wording, etc.

The best defense against completing an illegal notarization is knowledge -- it is also the best defense against title companies and signing services requesting illegal services from you -- just quote the law back to them.

Reply by PJM/MI on 11/5/05 3:24pm
Msg #74611

Good post, Tina! Michigan has a website for all of the notarial laws. When they publish a new primer, I do buy it and keep it on hand.
It is very wise to know the laws of your commissioned state.

Reply by BetsyMI on 11/5/05 3:25pm
Msg #74612

PJM are you talking about the SOS website, or something else?

Thx

Reply by PJM/MI on 11/5/05 3:55pm
Msg #74624

Yepper. the SOS.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 11/5/05 5:19pm
Msg #74640

"Primer"? Oh, oh.

Be careful. The "Primer" that the NNA puts out for a state may not be compatible with that state's law! Go directly to your own state's Web Site (if any), or to your state's hardcopy manual / handbook.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/5/05 6:09pm
Msg #74649

Excellent post Tina. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Reply by CarolynCO on 11/5/05 7:18pm
Msg #74654

Many people have been told or led to believe that simply being *certified* is all they need. Many so-called certified NSAs have been a notary only as long as they have been a certified NSA.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.