Notary Rotary
LAW BALL
Notary Discussion History

LAW BALL
Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by JBCA on 11/4/05 1:46pm
Msg #74320

LAW BALL

I got a letter from a notary offering her services to me, and when I read it I got upset. Her fee is only $50.00 no matter what kind of loan. Even with e-docs only $50.00. I guess that is her prerogative to do so, but it just seems so low. She was commisioned in 2000, so its not like she is a new notary.

I understand that people may need the work, but that is why we are getting hit from signing services with such low offers. As long as notaries low ball themselves, we will have problems making signing services pay us what we are worth.

Reply by JBCA on 11/4/05 1:47pm
Msg #74321

Re: correction should be low ball n/m

Reply by Anonymous on 11/4/05 1:47pm
Msg #74322

What state is she in? I may have some help for you.

Reply by JBCA on 11/4/05 1:50pm
Msg #74323

Re: LOW BALL

CA

Reply by MistarellaFL on 11/4/05 1:50pm
Msg #74325

I know what you mean. I will handle a certain package for NotaryPro next Mon. I don't like working with them: micro-managing and tons of fax-backs. In order for me to help them with this one loan, they had to put me "in the system". Now I am getting 2-3 calls per day for $50 assignments. Sheeeesh, they used to pay $65 before I quit them back in March, now it's down to $50? Somebody has got to be doing them for that amount otherwise they wouldn't just tell me the fee is $50 and not expect an "EXCUSE ME, NO THANK YOU" shortly after their lips stop moving Smiley

Reply by MB_AZ on 11/4/05 1:53pm
Msg #74329

Anon Alert!

Due to the previous threads on this board today, I don't think anyone should get a response if they post as anonymous! JMO

Reply by CarolynCO on 11/4/05 1:51pm
Msg #74326

I just replied to a SS that contacted me by e-mail. Even though all docs are claimed to be FedExed both ways and no copies to make, the price was still considerably lower than I accept for overnight. I e-mailed back stating my fees. If his fees are set in stone, why waste either of our time by signing up -- otherwise, if he can match mine, I will sign.

Reply by Anonymous on 11/4/05 1:58pm
Msg #74331

When I first started out in this business a few years ago I would do signings for whatever someone was willing to pay. Here's my reasoning behind it; you are in business for yourself, no one else. Other notaries are your competition, this is not a team oriented environment. I have since gained a great reputation with quite a few title and signing companies and now gross well over 5-7k a month because once you become reputable to a signing or title company they will pay you more over time. Hope this little bit of advice helps you out.

Anon1

Reply by SSEmobile on 11/4/05 4:00pm
Msg #74394

There IS that exelent point Anon1 (and THANKS for making your Anonnymous status less than "unknown" by any name! :o] )

After two months reading these posts on this VERY active and valuable forum, I get the sense that there are a LOT of new folks in this business that know nothing about marketing, and seemingly little about promotion or quality performance.

This MAY be the way a lot of folks are getting ANY work, especially in the beggining. I, myself, have accepted the odd $50 appointment, with docs delivered and dropped off afterward, but the NEED to do so has dropped as my actual formal signings number approaches the majic first dozen. Already, due to my successful completion and proper processing of the ones I have done the repeat clients start off offering more up front.

Are they "wrong" to do jobs for $50? I'm sure the SS's don't think so, but then maybe they have not run out of folks working on their first 12 jobs yet. Reality may smash their hopes of always being able to get the job done at that price yet.

My feling is also if you really do appropriate marketing, and keep your work high quality, your price will automatically rise to your expectations. I'm sure there are plenty of potential clients that will GLADLY pay more for a job well done by a true professional, in the best of timely completions.

The market for our work does have a very wide scale of competancy, and marketing awareness.

I still think you get what you're worth IF you are doing you job as well as you should, and using at least minimal marketing methods.

My take, you shouldn't let the $50 notaries get you down ....... especially if you are doing the job well and keeping up on your promotion. Your reward will be along shortly ....... patience!

Reply by CarolynCO on 11/4/05 10:06pm
Msg #74486

** I get the sense that there are a LOT of new folks in this business that know nothing about marketing, and seemingly little about promotion or quality performance.**

And a lot less about taxes. The money is not free and clear above the table, winner to take and keep all.

Reply by AngiesMobile on 11/4/05 8:07pm
Msg #74468

All the notaries are from different states and different counties. I have met notaries that are rich and do this for some sense of meaning. They usually lowball and charge a less resonable rate, unlike us that do this for a basis of living. In Pa, most of the notaries have day jobs and with the holidays coming around many will do it for even less.... they figure 6 at 50.00 each is better than 2 at 75.00 each

Reply by SDR/NY on 11/8/05 1:01pm
Msg #75074

I am a new signing agent and am not sure as to what kind of fees I should be asking for or charging. I have had my notary license for 2 years now and have recently become a certified notary signing agent. I would greatly appreciate any helpfull feedback you are able to give me. Thanks.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.