Notary Rotary
Notarizing copy of passport
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Mary Greco on 11/4/05 2:31pm
Msg #74339

I am being asked to notarize a photocopy of a client's passport. I have never done this before and never heard of this so was hoping someone could shed a little light on the proper procedure for notarizing this.
Thanks so much...mary

Reply by srnotary_CA on 11/4/05 2:35pm
Msg #74341

Not sure But I don't think you can notarize a passport.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/4/05 3:08pm
Msg #74367

If you are authorized by your state to make and certify copies of documents, you can notarize a copy of a passport. Not all states allow notaries to certify copies, so be sure you can do that before you do.

In FL, notaries are authorized to make copies of certain documents (including passports) and notarizing them as true copies.

Reply by AnneSoCA on 11/4/05 3:04pm
Msg #74358

What state are you in?

Reply by Anonymous on 11/4/05 3:08pm
Msg #74366

I am in NY, but passport may be international. any ideas???

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/4/05 3:27pm
Msg #74377

A passport is not a vital or public document. It is also an original document, maintained by the passport holder or custodian. Therefore, if your state (NY) allows you to make and certify copies of documents, then you can make and certify a copy of a passport, no matter where it originated.

From what I read about NY in the Notary Public License Law:

Certified Copy -
A copy of a public record signed and certified as a true copy by the public official having custody of the original. ***A notary public has no authority to issue certified copies.*** Notaries must not certify to the authenticity of legal documents and other papers required to be filed with foreign consular officers.

Any NY notaries out there who can render assistance?

Reply by AnneSoCA on 11/4/05 3:16pm
Msg #74369

If you're in CA....

In CA you can't certify any documents except Power of Attorneys and journal records. You can, however, notarize a Copy Certification by Document Custodian.

The owner of the document (passport) basically certifies the copy, not the notary. They make a photocopy of the original, make a written statement about the trueness, correctness and completeness of the copy, signs that statement before you, the Notary, you put them under oath and execute a jurat.

In addition to the jurat, you should do a custodian statement. The whole thing looks like this:

State of California
County of

I, __________________ (name of customer of original document), hereby swear (or affirm) that the attached reporduction of __________________ (description of original document) is a true, correct, and complete photocopy of a document in my possession.

(Address of custodian)

Subscribed and sworn to (or affirmed) before me on the ______ day of ________, _____ by ________________________(name of custodian), personally known to me or proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence to be the person(s) who appeared before me.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 11/4/05 3:20pm
Msg #74374

Re: If you're in CA....

In CA you can not notarize copies of birth, death, or marriage certs though. That is why i said I din't think you could notarise a copy of a passport.

Reply by Bonnie_FL on 11/4/05 3:28pm
Msg #74380

Wording for Florida

State of
County of

On this __ day of , 2005, I attest that the preceding or attached document is a true, exact, complete and unaltered photocopy made by me of _______________________ presented to me by the document’s custodian, ____________________, and, to the best of my knowledge, that the photocopied document is neither a vital record nor a public record, certified copies of which are available from an official source other than a Notary Public.

Reply by Jon on 11/4/05 5:52pm
Msg #74446

Re: If you're in CA....

"In addition to the jurat, you should do a custodian statement."

I must completely disagree with you. The "Copy Certification by Document Custodian" is not a notary act in CA. This form was concocted by the NNA to sell more forms. It is against the law to suggest to the signer which form to use. If a signer REQUESTS that you use a "Copy Certification by Document Custodian" then by all means use it. The key here is that the signer needs to request or direct you as to which form to use. We can tell the signer that we can notarize a statement made by them, but cannot tell them how or what to write. They also have to direct us in whether to use an ack or jurat.

It amazes me that the NNA will say we are not allowed to point out terms of a loan on the note(which isn't notarized) because of UPL, but will tell us to instruct the signer to use specific wording on a specific form(that we DO notarize) and somehow that is not UPL.

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 11/4/05 5:23pm
Msg #74432

With out looking it up. I believe I can not certify any birth certificate,passport, or any document that needs a raised seal by the issuing dept. I can witness a person stating it is a true copy of the original.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 11/4/05 11:12pm
Msg #74494

California notaries never "notarize photocopies"

However, they can and will notarize statements by authorized Document Custodians, if provided with evidence of their identity.

Remember, we as notaries never, ever have any responsibilty as to the contents of a document - whether it's the date, or the factuality of a document - or a copy of a document.

What CA notaries do "DO" is provide an acknowledgement or a jurat as to the signer's identity - regardless if the certificate is affixed to a statement by a Document Custodian or a DOT or a will or a grant deed. Fix it in your heads as to what your act and legal duties are.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 11/6/05 12:26pm
Msg #74701

Michigan - Re: Notarizing copy of passport

Mary,
If you are a notary in Michigan, you cannot notarize copies. Check the SOS website or the Michigan Legislative website for Public Act 238. It will tell you what notaries can and cannot do in Michigan.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.