Notary Rotary
OT - My recipe for apple pie that's the bomb
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by TitleGalCA on 11/24/05 9:44pm
Msg #78562

Hope every one had a great Thanksgiving and sitting with loved ones, moaning over their full tummies after their feasts.

My mother who's not in the best of health now has always been the maker of apple pies to die for. I'm not embellishing, truly they are the bomb - light flaky pastry and sweet apples and cinnamon in the middle. For all my life, we've had her apple pies at holiday time.

As her eldest daughter, imagine the pressure to continue in the family tradition now that she's not able to make them? The tough part is making the pastry perfect. Finally, I've written a recipe for it. Mom is the sort who, when asked, what's the recipe? says...oh, around 2 cups of this and a pinch of that, oh...and just season it to taste....nothing exact! After making 3 pies last night, I've got it in an exact recipe and sharing it here for other pastry-challenged daughters:

2 1/4 c. all pupose flour
1 stick of Crisco shortening
1/4 teas. salt
1/3 c. ice cold water
6 large granny smith apples
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 teas. cinnamon
1/4 teas nutmeg

add the shortening (only use Crisco) to the flour and work it together with a pastry tool - mine looks like a horseshoe. Don't over work it, just blend it together. Add the ice cold water (this is important, but I have no idea why) and use the pastry tool first, then clean hands to work it in and form a ball of dough. Refrigerate for one hour.

Cut the dough in half, one for the bottom layer, the other for the top. Flour generously the surface you'll roll out the dough and use a rolling pin to form a circle of dough about 1/4 inch thick. I sort of 'push' the dough with the rolling pin, rather than roll it (use lots of flour on your rolling pin to keep the dough from sticking to it) Fold it in half and place it in a pyrex pie plate, unfold it and carefully form it to fill in the bottom. Fill with 6 granny smith apples (peeled and sliced), cover the apples evenly with the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, and the other half of the pastry that you've rolled out. Cut little vents in a pattern you like so the steam and heat can escape the pie. Form the edges of the pie together so that it's closed - I pinch it together to make a "fluted" edge. Sprinkle the top of the pie with sugar. Bake for 20 mins at 400, then at 350 for 45-50 mins. You want the top browned, but not burned. Serve with or without ice cream.

A simple recipe that somehow comes out absolutely fabulous. You'll be the hit of the holiday meal!

Reply by Marie_MD on 11/24/05 9:53pm
Msg #78563

Great recipe Glad to hear you had another great Thanksgiving.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/24/05 10:11pm
Msg #78566

I am keeping it. My sister will be so excited when I make them for Christmas. Thanks!

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 11/24/05 10:15pm
Msg #78567

FYI - Why ice cold water is important...

The most important thing to remember about the water is it should be ice cold as with the rest of the ingredients, the reason is, that you do not want the fat to melt, if it melts before you bake the pie, it will result in a tougher crust.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 11/24/05 10:20pm
Msg #78570

Re: FYI - Why ice cold water is important...

that makes sense Barbara, thanks. Mom always said don't over work the dough either, or that could make it tough. Tough pastry is not a good thing....

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.