Notary Rotary
Printers
Notary Discussion History

Printers
Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Di_IN on 11/10/05 10:41am
Msg #75612

Printers

Does anyone out there have a Brother MFC-8640D? If so, does it have the capability to print from dual trays without being hand-fed?

Reading the searches leads me to believe Brother and HP are the best at this kind of printing. I have a Dell3000cn, bought the legal drawer but couldn't get it to print from both. Ended up having to hand feed it anyway.....

Help!

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 11/10/05 10:48am
Msg #75613

Sounds like your printer preferences are set incorrectly. Go into control panel, printers, click the appropriate printer and go through your preferences. There are choices between automatic and manual feed. (You are running windows I assume)

Reply by Di_IN on 11/10/05 10:52am
Msg #75616

Thanks! I did all that.
I even went through the setup cd, etc. - had the printer "talk" to my computer to tell it the drawer was there. Went through properties to ensure all was well - and still didn't work. I spoke with Dell Tech Support twice, but they were unable to assist me.

I don't think it is capable of alternating drawers during a print job.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 11/10/05 11:00am
Msg #75617

Well, that may be one of those situations where you have to be there. You have also rebooted everything? You may need to get a local computer nerd friend to help out. It's got to be something simple. One other thought is to make sure you click the "apply" button each time before you leave a preference box. I have run into the manual feed situations before and it has always been sometning in the preferences. Good Luck

Reply by Di_IN on 11/10/05 11:12am
Msg #75620

I have rebooted. I have "applied." I'm ready to take a hammer to it! Smiley It probably is something simple, but darned if I can figure it out! I'll have to call in local reinforcements. Thank you for your help!

Reply by Giselle_CA on 11/10/05 12:27pm
Msg #75641

Did you add your 2nd tray through the printer's properties set up?

Reply by Rick_NY on 11/10/05 12:44pm
Msg #75644

I solved that issue on my DELL! [Re: Printers]

I have a DELL 1700 that I just solved the problem with that issue. The driver can not be all that different from your 3000cn.

From your computer's Programs go to DELL Printers>DELL Laser Printer 3000cn>DELL Local Printer Settings Utility>Paper. Then choose what size paper you have loaded in each tray. Then I think you have to go to the utility's File menu and "save" or "update" the settings. It worked for me!

I got this solution from Nd_WA, by the way.

Good luck!

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 11/10/05 1:27pm
Msg #75665

PDF Print Menu Selection

Go to the Print Menu and make sure you check the box next to the phrase: "Choose Paper Source by PDF page size"

Reply by Rick_NY on 11/10/05 1:34pm
Msg #75675

Re: PDF Print Menu Selection

That is very important, however, the printer still needs to be told through the set-up utility which tray is holding what paper.

But where is Di_IN? I think she went out to buy a new printer!!

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 11/10/05 1:40pm
Msg #75683

LOL

You may be right Rick, she grabbed her charge card and headed to Staples.

I agree about the printer being told thru the set-up which tray holds what paper. Sounded to me like she had already done that. I know the first time I tried running legal and letter PDFs I didn't have the box checked. Once I did that it was smooth sailing!

When I called IT he focused on the utility set-up and never mentioned the PDF. I guess he figured I was smart enough to have seen and checked the box already. Wrongo!

Reply by Rick_NY on 11/10/05 3:51pm
Msg #75747

Re: LOL

Maggie, I was struggling with this for months. The print dialog box where you normally command the printer to print does have places for you to choose paper sizes and what-not.

Then there is the check box you mention in Adobe Acrobat reader. But the key is in the setup utility, that is the "man behinbd the curtain." If you want to print right, you DO have to pay attention to him!

Hopefully, Di_IN did not put the hammer to her DELL printer and can return the Brother, if she wants. Believe it or not, I came across a notary service that does not allow Brother printers. There are issues with them, too. How they know what you use, I have not a clue.

Rick

Reply by Di_IN on 11/10/05 5:16pm
Msg #75765

Hey- you all are too funny! LOL Not shopping yet--had a few signings today... You got my attention about the "man behind the curtain," though. I think I already did that, too, but I'll revisit every avenue at this point. (Hammer is back in garage!) Thank you all for input. This is priceless information! Wish me luck!

Reply by Rick_NY on 11/10/05 6:16pm
Msg #75773

If you want to post your email, we can go back and forth on it. Sometimes I think I'd like to be a tech support person, but I don't want to have to move off-shore!

Reply by Di_IN on 11/10/05 6:34pm
Msg #75780

LOL!! That's rich! Smiley I'll have to catch you in about a week or so - personal business to attend. Thanks again. I really appreciate it!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.