Notary Rotary
Putting yourself out there
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Stamper_WI on 11/9/05 6:53am
Msg #75276

I turned down a $40 offer for a local signing from a company that always meets my fees last night (Global). That was not my issue so much..if they get someone for less than my base fee (which covers a very large area in a very rural area), more power to them. I had other issues for holding firm.
Last week I did a signing for them for an elderly man who lives way out in the country down a long dirt driveway and in the middle of 100 acres of woods that he owns. He seemed to be a harmless 76 yr old man. In fact I had been there last year witnessing documents and he was in the middle of butchering a deer with blood all over the kitchen. This time he had me read the first 2 pages of his novel while he looked for his drivers licence.
Now this man's name was always followed by " SR" and he stressed that he did not want to get mixed up with "Jr" as he was a "ward of the state".
Curiosity got the better of me when I got home and I looked up the name on the circuit court site and sure enough, JR is incarcerated for threatening SR with a shotgun. BUT SR also showed up on the site. It seems he was released from prison 2 yrs ago from a 7 yr sentence for sexual assault! With no previous record and a sentence like that, it must have been bad!
Now I am a single woman with one daughter living with me part time.
I now make note on a home calandar exactly where I am and I still hold firm on my fees. Oh yeah.... and grandmas little switch blade is in my pocket.

Reply by Teddog_CO on 11/9/05 7:22am
Msg #75283

Stamper,
The people "offering" $40-$45-$50 buck signings just don't get it! This a business, at least for those of us that do this Full-Time. Like you I too Hold firm on my fees. I've said it before and I will say it again "the notary is taking all the risk!"
You must be carefull where you go and be sure everyone knows where you are at all times!!
Be sure to that the client see you use your cell phone when you arrive, just leave a message on your voice mail that you are at so & so house..,etc. Where I'm located it's nothing but rural, dirt roads and unmarked streets in most cases. So! Be Very Carefull out there, assume nothing.
As for low pay companies I can tell them a Great way to save money! "Do the signings yourself!" then get back to me in about 6 months and let me know how feel about "low fee" or as I like to call it "The Notary Fee Auction."

Reply by DeeB/Fl on 11/9/05 7:26am
Msg #75286

I agree with Ted 200%!!!! Thank you!!!

Reply by PJM/MI on 11/9/05 7:43am
Msg #75292

I always send an email to my companion and tell him the names, addresses and phone #'s of the borrowers. I do this early in the morning, & if there are any changes, I call him and let him know where I am. I have never felt threatened or scared while at a closing, but there can always be a first time.
My father has suggested I get a concealed weapon permit and carry a firearm with me. I think that's a tad bit overboard..but it is a good suggestion.

Reply by Art_MD on 11/9/05 7:38am
Msg #75290

Take friends with you - Mr Smith & Wesson, Buck Knife - or one of their cousins.
Take a look at amderringer.com. The lightweight in .38 is a good choice. 7.5 oz, 2 shot.

Art

Reply by Teddog_CO on 11/9/05 8:05am
Msg #75298

Or - Hertz Rent- A - Attack Doberman (Lower rental fee for a matched pair) Monthly rates available.

Just kiddin. I do take my 95# pooch with me to remote locations. He just lays in the back of the jeep, no one even knows he's in the back. God help them if they ever open the door, or if he hears me yell for him. Four legged nasty people shredder. His motto is "don't mess with my buddy." Otherwise he's just a sweet, lovable pooch.

"Son don't take your guns to town" lol

Teddog

Reply by sue_pa on 11/9/05 8:22am
Msg #75303

Grandma probably never saw pepper foam - really cool stuff

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 11/9/05 8:59am
Msg #75313

I teach self defense - Tae Kwon Do, in Richardson TX on Monday and Thursday nights....if I don't have a signing. Smiley I totally understand everyone's concerns and that they feel having a weapon would be a good idea. I just would like to point out that anything you take can be used against you so be very careful if you decide to get a weapon. There are some defense weapons out there that will work for you but not for the other person if they get ahold of it. If I chose to get a weapon, I would get something like that. A knife or a gun could easily be turned back on to me...well, with my training, not too easy. ;) Anyway, everyone be very safe and like the earlier posts say, make sure friends and family know where you are. My business partner, who is a red belt (I'm a 1st degree black), and I always know where the other person is and we call eachother upon completion. I usally handle the business side of things anyway...invoice, etc. so I take care of those things right when she finishes.

- Melissa

Reply by Art_MD on 11/9/05 9:03am
Msg #75314

I heard a blurb on the radio about a new tazer for the general public. Small and effective.

Art

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 11/9/05 9:10am
Msg #75316

That would be ideal, as long as the attacker can not over power you, take it, and use it against you.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 11/9/05 9:16am
Msg #75319

USMC battled hardend, expert rifleman, SW .40cal.

Reply by sue_pa on 11/9/05 9:17am
Msg #75320

that's why pepper spray is great - you can zap them from a distance, even shoot it backwards over your shoulder as you're running away - probably not a direct hit but perhaps those extra few seconds you need.

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 11/9/05 9:23am
Msg #75326

Yes Sue, pepper spray is a great product that stings like crazy. Unfortunately, a lot of woman have put themselves more in danger using it because they didn't aim it correctly under pressure and got it on themselves. Also, some attackers might be wearing extra clothing which makes it difficult to get the spray on them. It is best used if you are at a distance and the attacker isn;t wearing a mask. If you are in arms reach of the attacker, they can easily use the spray against you.

Reply by Art_MD on 11/9/05 9:20am
Msg #75323

If you have pepper spray, a tazer etc, sure it could be taken and used against you. But, if the person is capable of doing that, whats to say he wouldn't overpower you if you didn't have the pepper spray, tazer etc.

I look at it this way. If you're going to be attacked, its going to happen. If you have a personal defense (gun, knife, spray, hat pin, nail file, pencil, curare tipped finger nails etc) you may reduce the success of the attack. It the defense doesn't succeed, what have you lost?

Art

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 11/9/05 9:27am
Msg #75328

Right on Art, I agree. Use anything and everything you possibly can to protect yourself. That's why I like the idea of myself being the weapon, so that they can not use me against me. Anything else can be taken away putting you at a bigger disadvantage. Another quick note...a woman with long hair is more to be attacked....especially if it is a pony tail.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 11/9/05 9:31am
Msg #75332

I have been looking into something to take with me to signings as yet I haven't decided what. I always call my husband before I go in and when I come out. I tell him that if I haven't called him within say an hour and a half to call my cell if I don't answer then worry. He always knows where I am going and has a copy of the map I have printed to get me there. I have gotten calls from him right after getting to a signing because he hadn't gotten to the phone when I called. I know there are tazers with wrist straps that have a pin in them to deactivate the tazer if it is taken from you. I have been thinking on getting one of these.

Reply by MB_AZ on 11/9/05 10:53am
Msg #75373

I feel more secure as a SA than as a realtor. Holding open houses really set you up for the bad element wandering in (had it happen to me so I stopped holding open houses). At least by the time you see the borrower they have spent the last 30 days providing every bit of personal information about them to lenders/TC's. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had any bad situations going to borrowers homes.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 11/9/05 11:54am
Msg #75392

Interesting thread, but one item is missing

I started out my self defense training while an Air Police Officer in the late 60's. We were taught how to subdue your basic crazed battle ready Marine without harming them so that they were still battle ready when we were through. Over the years and with other government service and critical work I learned various other techniques for self defense as well as karate and various weapons. My favorite weapon of choice is the Kimber Ultra Carry, a full .45 cal 1911 type semi-auto in a very small frame, and I have a Beretta Tom Cat as a back up. But the most important self defense weapon in the world was taught to me in my early days and that is situational awareness. Weapons and self defense tactics should only be your last line of defense. The first priority should always be to keep yourself from a situation where you might need to defend yourself. There is currently a very simple technique taught to law enforcement personnel and other that is based on the colors white, yellow and red. These are used as virtual zones to apply the appropriate amount of caution. White is analogous to your living room at home: Probably having the least potential for conflict. The Yellow would be analogous to your normal activities outside your home where one should maintain a higher state of awareness of situations than one would at home. Red is the highest and should analogous to the awareness that perhaps one would have when walking to your car in a dark empty parking lot after the stores have closed. Being acutely aware of your surroundings should normally keep you out of situations where you would need weapons. I can honestly say that in 30+ years I have never had to use my weapon to defend myself. I've had it out of its holster a few times but I've never had to actually use it. There are several excellent books written on the subject of situational awareness.

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 11/9/05 2:23pm
Msg #75465

Re: Interesting thread, but one item is missing

Charles, you are such a fascinating person!!!

The first thing I teach the students (whether they are children or adults) is the best practice of self defense is to not get yourself in a sticky situation. I talk about putting your initials and last name on mail so people won't know if you are male or female. How to look at others, not submissively. Putting lights up around your home. I not only have motion lights, but I also have landscaping lights. I tell them that 75% of houses that are broken in to are corner lots. Thus, if they live in a corner lot, they need to be more vigilant with protecting themselves and their belongings.

I am originally from Hanover, NH. That is where I was born and raised. It was a town where you didn't feel the need to lock your doors. After my friends parents (Zantops) were murdered, things changed!!! I lived on my own and took self defense from the Claremont, NH police dept. It was training for woman. It was one of the best classes I have ever taken and I use those skills/techniques and words they taught me to teach to my students.

Reply by Charles_Ca on 11/9/05 6:41pm
Msg #75520

Sorry to hear about your parents

I was born in Germany and when we moved to the US we lived in Maine until I graduated from college. We lived in a smll town called Sebago Lake. My dad was a greeting card salesman in Europe for The Corporation. I rmemeber finding my mother sittin in a chair in the middle of a room in Germany with a .45 Cal 1911 A1 ready to go laying in her lap. My mother was scared to put the weapon down because she did not know how to de-cock it. There were people trying to break into the house and she got one of my dad's service pistols. We lived in fear while in Germany my Dad was busy mopping up communists and some of them objected.

I think that self defense is extremely important for everybod and especially for women. My first duty station in the Air Force was in Okinawa and I started working out in the local dirt floor dojo's with some of the local kids. I was introduced to martial arts as an Air Police candidate. when I cam back stateside I continue with Fumio Demura and got heavily into shito-ryu jarate. I still work out even though I have passed the half century mark a while ago. It is very good for your health as well as keeping you mentally sharp. I recommend it to everyyone. You are absolutely right between there bien a victim profile, the way you carry your body, the attitude you possess, your overall bearing frequently causes people who might harm you to shy away. No crook wants to have to deal with someone who will defend themselves. I can see where the notary signing business could potentiall be very dangerous and I think it is important to have all of the right tool. Drop me an e-mail and we'll chat.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 11/11/05 12:59pm
Msg #75921

Call back

Wow! good response's! I worked on a locked ward in a county hospital during college. Every year we had refresher courses on self defense with out hurting the mostly elderly psych patients (seems we could be sued if we hurt them while they were trying to kill us) I have used these manuvers when one tried choking me from behind and the old "break off the faucet and go for her" manuver.pretty basic remember your legs are longer than your arms and have less around them to protect after the initial onslaught.
Oh yeah...that $40 offer called back and met my fee. This too is a repeat borrower and we are meeting in his store!...At the counter.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.