Notary Rotary
SS asked me to record the DOT in my local County R. Office
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Calnotary on 11/29/05 5:39pm
Msg #79081

Have anybody done this before? And how much do you ussually charge.

I need your input.

Thank you.

Reply by JD_inMD on 11/29/05 6:17pm
Msg #79086

I charge $35 for each one. I go in with a stack, wont do just a few as the title companies I have experience with wont pay anymore than that just to record the deed. Dont know about there, but here the clerks are pretty busy so it can take awhile to get to the front of the line.

Reply by Kevin Ahern on 11/30/05 6:24am
Msg #79165

If you are recording a mortgage, you are generally expected to perform an update of the title search at the time you record. The period of the update usually runs from the date of the last title search down to the minute of recording the new mortgage. The reason for this is that the lender wants to be assured that it will have the priority that it expected at the time of the last title search. If an intervening lien/mortgage has been recorded between the time of the last title search and the recording date, the lender takes priority behind the intervening lien. The title update will disclose that intervening lien prior to recording the new mortgage.

In the event that there is an intervening lien most lenders will not want to record until the intervening lien is paid and released. If the party doing the recording fails to discover and report the intervening lien, and records the mortgage anyway the lender may possibly look to the party doing the recording for recovery the expenses of having the lien released, including payment of the lien/mortgage. In other words, you could be held personally liable.

Therefore, price yourself according to the risk involved in your area, and make certain to carry sufficient e&o insurance to cover the risk. In Connecticut we usually charge $50.00 to update the title search and record.

Reply by newlysmomva on 11/30/05 7:59am
Msg #79172

I charge $50.00 for update and record.

Reply by JD_inMD on 11/30/05 8:12am
Msg #79174

I should clarify, I get $35 for a record of DOT's that were previously rejected. The title companies dont ask me to update the title search for the gap period.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 11/30/05 8:51am
Msg #79183

Cal, since you're in California, I wouldn't record a thing for a signing service. Check with the title company first, they are the likely ones to record a new deed of trust as they are probably insuring it as well. Maybe it's different in Northern California...but they're aren't too many independent title searchers/agents in my area.

Would you email me Cal? I need to send something your way, thanks.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 11/30/05 9:28am
Msg #79185

Qualify that to read...

Check with the title company first, before accepting ss instructions to record. Just because there aren't too many title searchers/agents in my area doesn't mean they don't exist.

Reply by Calnotary on 11/30/05 10:23am
Msg #79222

Re: Qualify that to read...

You have e mail from me, Titlegal.

Thank you

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.