Notary Rotary
Security
Notary Discussion History

Security
Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by LJ_SOCA on 11/2/05 10:20pm
Msg #73870

Security

Is there any cover for our journals that would keep clients from viewing what has been signed before them? I live in a very small community and would like to keep notary information private. Placing a piece of paper over what has been written seems to obvious.
Thanks.

Reply by DellaCa on 11/2/05 10:24pm
Msg #73871

good question I use a laminated paper but would like something else.

Reply by PJM/MI on 11/3/05 6:19am
Msg #73884

I have them sign my journal at the VERY end of the closing, and usually by then they are so tired of signing, they just sign the journal and I can go upon my merry way. Smiley

Reply by Giselle_CA on 11/3/05 11:46am
Msg #73960

I agree. What if they decide not to go through with the signing? I compare the signatures when they sign the first document. I place their id information and have them sign on my journal at the end of the closing.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/3/05 12:04pm
Msg #73964

If the borrowers do not complete the signing, I have them complete the "Refusal to Sign" document that I carry with me. Each party to the signing (not just the borrower, but the NOBS too), must sign. I still have them sign my journal showing that we met and at least the docs were presented.

Reply by Ernest__CT on 11/3/05 9:23am
Msg #73909

Always, always have the people sign your journal BEFORE signing documents! You should be comparing their signatures with their ID. If they sign before, there is no chance they'll be "too busy" or "forget".

I have cut pieces of manilla folder to cover already-signed entries. There is a pice to cover one entry, a piece to cover two entries, three entries, et cetera. I use a folder clip to hold the shield in place.

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 11/3/05 9:28am
Msg #73911

I totally agree with Ernest. Filling out the journal entries and have the borrower(s) sign should be first and foremost. Is that repetitive??? Smiley

I place a piece of paper over the other entries in my journal and clip them as well on the left side page. It may be obvious I am covering up entries to the current borrower(s), but I am sure they appreciate it because they know I will be doing it for them as well.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 11/3/05 9:58am
Msg #73924

Driver license's first, signatures in journal second and then I compare them.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/3/05 11:02am
Msg #73951

I disagree. I find that signing my journal is the final act which ensures that I have completed the presentation and that the documents listed in the journal have each been signed and all signatures notarized.

If a signing agent asked me to sign their journal, prior to finishing, I would politely refuse. The journal record is suppose to be a record of what was accomplished at the signing. (Please note the use of past tense.) I wouldn't expect anyone to sign a journal entry for something that hasn't taken place yet.

As for comparing signatures on ID's, I always present the HUD first. The borrower must sign it and I can then compare their signature on the HUD to their license. Actually, I use a "Visual Verification of Identification" form that I have the borrowers sign. This form ensures that I have copied the information form their ID (usually a driver's license) and since they sign that form, then I have a comparison (verified with the signature on the ID) that can be used with the other documents if need be.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.