Notary Rotary
Sending voided stamp
Notary Discussion History

Sending voided stamp
Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by cceja on 11/4/05 1:55pm
Msg #74330

Sending voided stamp

In signing up with signing agencies I came across a couple (in California) that wanted a voided copy of my notary stamp. Is this illegal?

Reply by Anonymous on 11/4/05 1:59pm
Msg #74332

No, it's not illegal. They use it for proof.

Anon1

Reply by cceja on 11/4/05 2:03pm
Msg #74333

so would I stamp a page and write void over it? Forgive my ignorance - I just went through the class this year and they told us never to put our stamp on anything that we were not notorizing.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 11/4/05 2:06pm
Msg #74334

What I did was draw an X through it and wrote void across the top and bottom

Reply by Anonymous on 11/4/05 2:18pm
Msg #74336

In CA it is illegal for a notary to provide a stamp for anything but notarial work. Notarial work is an Acknowledgment or Jurat. Stamping a blank sheet of paper and and writing void across it is not allowed by CA notary law. You can be fined. Provide a copy of your comission certificate. That should suffice.

Reply by Anonymous on 11/4/05 2:07pm
Msg #74335

No problem and yes, just write void over it. Most companies like to see that you are alive and kicking and that your stamp is legal. In some states there are specific requirements as to where your name and expiration are suppose to be, etc.....

Anon1

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/4/05 3:04pm
Msg #74360

>>> No, it's not illegal. <<<

In some states, it is illegal to use your stamp for anything except notarial acts. (FL and CA come to mind.)

>>> They use it for proof. <<<

Proof of what? That I went to my local stamp maker (Office Depot, Staples, etc.) and had a stamp made. The proof of ones license or appointment is their commission certificate. It is signed and dated by the issuing authority. (At least all that I've seen.) The little rubber stamp means nothing without the commission and is not proof of anything in and of itself.

Reply by Paul_IL on 11/4/05 2:29pm
Msg #74338

Not legal in many states..Never take advice from Anonymous posters..Call your Secretary of States office and ask them.

Reply by Anonymous on 11/4/05 11:55pm
Msg #74502

Photocopy the last page of mortgage you have notarized. BLACK OUT THE Borrowers Names. Photocopy again. Now they can see your stamp something they could get from any recorder's office. It is not an orignial so you did not break the law and it gives them what they want. Ta da!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.