Notary Rotary
Some borrowers..
Notary Discussion History

Some borrowers..
Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by PJM/MI on 11/10/05 8:33am
Msg #75574

Some borrowers..

I sat down to do a closing, went over the docs with the borrower. I was told before I left for the closing that the HUD was incorrect & a new one would be issued. Mrs. bo said she wasn't going to sign unless it was correct. She then proceeds to read thru the docs, interest rate is incorrect, monthly payment is incorrect, etc. She tells me she's going to call lo and give her a piece of her mind. I leave and tell them "good luck".
I get a call from the manager of the tc, she told the lo that I told 'em NOT to sign! GRRR! Apparently, I also told 'em that I didn't like doing closings for their lender (WHAT??), and that I felt like they were getting a "raw deal"!
I told the mgr of the tc (whom I have done a ton of work for) that I would NEVER tell a bo not to sign.. that's my paycheck if they do sign. I've done a ton of closings for that particular lender, and as a mater of fact, I like those docs..quick & easy to download/print.
I sure hope I'm not called to re-sign for that bo. I had the feeling she didn't like me too well as soon as we set down.
Just venting... the nerve of some people!!!

Reply by ColleenCA on 11/10/05 8:39am
Msg #75577

If they call you to sign this bo again, I would refuse. You just don't know what she might say the 2nd time around. She has already proven to be a lier and she is putting your rep on the line with this tc.

Reply by Janel Nichols on 11/10/05 9:20am
Msg #75591

Something similar like this happened recently to my fiancé'. For God's sake don't ever clear your voice or hiccup at a closing. You might be considered intoxicated!!! Because as we all know the only reason someone hiccups is because they have been drinking! I'm sorry, I missed hiccup 101, and I didn't know this! I can't believe a title company would even consider this as plausible. We notaries, especially the ones who do this full time like me depend on getting it right the first time. Reputation is everything! There is no other option. Needless to say, I am still waiting on a response from the title company that threatened to take us off their list. But hey, for the borrower’s ridiculous statement, she got a $100 gift out of the deal, all before we even got a chance to defend ourselves. On a good note, the signing company seems to think it is as ridiculous as I do. I have done many for them also, So we still may come out ok on this one.

Reply by LilyMD on 11/10/05 9:20am
Msg #75592

I agree. I would definitely refuse to resign. Not only couldn't I trust what Mrs. Borrower might say, I know I wouldn't be able to trust what I might say!

Reply by Art_MD on 11/10/05 9:31am
Msg #75595

do the resign, take a pocket tape recorder, mike hidden. See what happens. That type of thing gets my irish up and I don't get mad - get even.
Remember "do unto others as they would do unto you - only do it first!!"

Art

Reply by Becca_FL on 11/10/05 9:43am
Msg #75601

>>>take a pocket tape recorder, mike hidden<<<

Be careful and know your state laws. This practice is illegal in some states. Now, in most cases if you say to the borrower that you would like their permission to tape the signing for training, coaching purposes, with the borrowers permission you should be fine.

This way, the borrowers also know that you are on to their games.

Reply by Hampton_CA on 11/10/05 9:33am
Msg #75596

Top Ten signs that your signer might be trouble

10. She keeps writing "redrum" on the loan docs.

9. Shows you her marriage certificate to her dog.

8. The tattos of the tears next to her eyes start to run down her face.

7. Her eyes change for that pleasant green to a glowing red.

6. She keeps answering the phone, saying, "No, he's not dead yet."

5. She brings a defibrillator to the signing table.

4. Tries to show you pictures from her weekend with Michael Jackson.

3. She asks you if you have life insurance.

2. She thinks Ditech is a computer virus.

1. Her name is Lisa Schreiber.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/10/05 11:50am
Msg #75625

Whenever I have borrowers that refuse to sign, I have them complete and sign a "Refusal to Sign" form that lists the pertinent information about the signing and lots of lined space for them to write in why they are refusing. At the bottom are two questions that they must answer:

Do you fully understand the provisions of the Right to Cancel as explained by the Signing Agent? (Yes / No / NA)

Have you informed your loan officer and/or broker of your decision not to complete the closing? (Yes / No / Left VM)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.