Notary Rotary
Strange Email or Not??
Notary Discussion History

Strange Email or Not??
Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by LisaWI on 11/21/05 6:56pm
Msg #78069

Strange Email or Not??

I received this in my Bulk folder. It came from [e-mail address]. It is a zipped Exe. file titled: reg_pass_data.zip. Has anybody else gotten this? And if yes, is it safe to open? I called Document Closers to see if they had sent it to me, and they havent called back yet. Being cautious on this one.

Reply by SLM_CALIF on 11/21/05 7:27pm
Msg #78079

Re: Strange Email .. I received it

Hi Lisa,
I received this e-mail and tried to open it. I was supposed to be receiving documents from a SS and I thought these were it. But I tried to open and was unable to do anything. So far haven't seen any weird things happen because of it. I have my fingers crossed though. I don't usually open files I'm not familiar with, but I was expecting e-docs from SS . Anyway I don't know what the file is about since I was unable to open it. I deleted it and moved on with my day. Have a good one!

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 11/21/05 7:53pm
Msg #78085

I would be wary if I were you. I received an email that said it was from my daughter-in-law. It contained a zipped file. Subject was "Business" and message was "information". I scanned the zipped file with my virus checker - no virus, so dumb me (who should know better) unzipped it and WHAMO!!!! Big time virus or worm or something - kept restarting my computer. I had to take it to my computer guy to fix.

By the way I checked with my daughter-in-law and she didn't send it.

Better safe than sorry. Wait to here from them - particularly if you were not expecting anything from them.

Reply by Leslie_Mo on 11/21/05 8:18pm
Msg #78090

Barbara - when did you receive the zippered file?

I think I received the same thing. I've run a virus scan and it's not showing anything but my computer is acting strange. It seems to be "sending e-mails" that Norton Anitvirus rejects. I'm not trying to send any e-mails and there isn't anything in my outbox waiting to go. I've lost internet connection a couple of times also. My computer guy is my son-in-law but he's going out of town for a week so I may be in trouble if this continues.

Reply by Becca_FL on 11/21/05 8:51pm
Msg #78100

You're being spoofed. See my post above.............n/m

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 11/21/05 9:26pm
Msg #78108

Re: Barbara - when did you receive the zippered file?

It was about 2 weeks ago.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 11/21/05 8:41pm
Msg #78098

I have had several e-mails today that contained zip attachments. One was from [e-mail address], another from Thwaite.com - both had the attachments - one was reg.pass.zip the other reg_pass_data.zip, they had viruses.
Strange I also got two that were purportedly from the CIA! - one from [e-mail address] and the other from [e-mail address], both said they had logged my IP address on more than 30 illegal sites and to complete the questionaire - which were question_lst.zip and question_lst923.ip - and both had viruses.

Reply by Leslie_Mo on 11/21/05 8:51pm
Msg #78101

Sylvia, did you get the virus??

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/21/05 9:40pm
Msg #78112

I am being flooded with the same as Sylvia. I just don't click on the attachments...I don't click on any attachments when I don't know who the email is from.

Reply by JHS/FL on 11/22/05 1:15pm
Msg #78211

Its a mass mailing virus, luckily Norton anti virus caught it for me and downloaded protection for it. If you go to there site it tells exactly what you are describing. Best thing is to get a good virus program and keep it updated. Here is there site. Yes its safe to click on it.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[e-mail address]

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 11/21/05 10:07pm
Msg #78115

No, I didn't click on the links. I knew they would be viruses.

Reply by Rebecca_TN on 11/21/05 9:01pm
Msg #78106

I received a bunch of the "cannot deliver" messages with zip attachments today. I also received 5 e-mails from the "FBI" saying my UPL showed up on 30 illegal web sites. They also had zip attachments.

Reply by Brenda/CA on 11/21/05 10:43pm
Msg #78126

I received 3 of e-mails from CIA, and several cannot deliver messages, all with zip attachments, dleted all without opening.

Reply by Brenda/CA on 11/21/05 10:50pm
Msg #78127

"deleted"

Reply by LisaWI on 11/22/05 5:54am
Msg #78144

Re:Sure Enough!!

Received a bunch this morning. Those sneaky devils. They all look legit. Deleted all of them and hopefully didnt cause any damage.

PS: Happy Turkey Day to everyone!!!
Lisa

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.