Notary Rotary
Thanksgiving holiday - except texas which has 2 holidays
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Art_MD on 11/16/05 1:55pm
Msg #76979

Got an e-mail regarding from a SS reminding us that Thanksgiving Day is a legal holiday - except inTexas where both Thursday and Friday are holidays for RTC.
I thought the legal holidays were determined by Federal Law, or is Texas a law unto themselves?

Art

Reply by SM_TX on 11/16/05 1:58pm
Msg #76982

I was told that Thursday was the legal holiday.
I do know that alot of companies are closed on Friday.
I guess it's to get their Xmas shopping done.

Sharonda

Reply by Tina_MA on 11/16/05 2:08pm
Msg #76991

Many companies float the Veteran's Day holiday to the Friday after Thanksgiving -- the company policy is to have employees work on Veteran's Day and give them the Friday after Thanksgiving off instead.

This saves on heating costs, as they don't need to open the office for one day before closing it again for the weekend.

Reply by Anonymous on 11/16/05 1:59pm
Msg #76983

They always have been

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 11/16/05 2:09pm
Msg #76992

Art...

I was born and spent a large portion of my youth in TX. I have heard from a variety of people that at one time Texas did leave the union (of the US), and has never put forth any type of legal document or anything to say that they are now a part of the US. How true this is, I have NO idea! Okay... any TX history buffs out there? Makes you wonder about their tourism ad they were running a while back: "Texas....it's like a whole 'nother country!"

Reply by Art_MD on 11/16/05 2:18pm
Msg #76999

Re: Art...

Texas was an independant country from 1836 to 1845.
Six flags over texas refers to the: Spain, France, Mexico, independant country, The Confederacy, and the U.S.
Couple of facts:
There are only a very few Indian reservations in Texas. Because, when Texas joined the union in 1845, the agreement said that all non privately owned land belonged to the state. So when the US government was establishing reservations, they had no land to move them to in Texas. So they established the reservations where the government owned land - new mexico, arizona, oklahoma.

I believe that the state can have a navy and keeps a couple of ships so commissioned.

The state flag is suppose to be flown as the highest flag when there are more than one. It can be even with other flags, but never lower.

Anyone born in Texas is considered a resident for life when determining residency for in-state/out-of-state tuition at Texas Universities.

Lived in Texas for 17 years.

Art

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 11/16/05 2:31pm
Msg #77009

Thanks Art! I still have family there, but I haven't lived there in about 20 years. History is fascinating! I know the indian stuff is true, My ggg-gpa was Quannah Parker, so that part of Tx history is where I am most familiar.
Now you have really stirred my curiousity, so I know what part of my weekend will be spent doing! LOL
Thanks again for sharing...

Reply by SM_TX on 11/16/05 2:31pm
Msg #77010

Thanks for the history lesson....... sm

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/16/05 2:30pm
Msg #77007

Under Title 12 of the US Code (and Texas is still part of the US as of this writing), ONLY the Federal Holidays and Sundays are not counted. However, a lender, at their discretion, may extend the expiration past the federally mandated three business days.

Rhode Island, for example, celebrates V-J Day as a state holiday. However, that day still counts as a day of rescission.

Massachusetts celebrates Patriots Day as a state holiday. However, that day still counts as a day of rescission.

Reply by Shelley Weinman on 11/16/05 8:13pm
Msg #77085

LOL!!! I always get a kick of telling people I am in the Republic of Texas. It never fails to raise their eyebrows and bring a smile to their face, as laugh at the mthical legend of Texas a Whole other Country!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/16/05 9:09pm
Msg #77106

Being a Texan myself (Alvin, TX to be exact) I was constantly reminded by my grandfather that Texas is the only state that required passports to cross the border. Smiley

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.