Notary Rotary
Things that make ou go hmmmm?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Dee_RI on 11/13/05 9:25am
Msg #76227

I had a signing Friday. Nothing special, just a refi. Wife borrower gets to loan application and starts complaining "This isn't right" yadda, yadda, yadda....the list of liabilities has a CC that she claims doesn't belong to her. Now I am quoting directly "His ex-wife has the same name as me, even the middile initial and that CC belings to her." As you can imagine my jaw dropped and now I am left wondering if she is wife number one or wife number two. ID matches the docs and so does the picture and hadwriting. Of course it would, even if it was the 1st wife.

This is the first time I have had this happen. Any thoughts?

Reply by Danny Shaw on 11/13/05 9:29am
Msg #76228

full middle name as described on the SS card, possible?

Danny

Reply by Beth/MD on 11/13/05 9:31am
Msg #76229

Wow! I've never even considered such a thing could happen. Can't imagine marrying 2 different people with the exact same name. I guess the only way to be sure in this situation is to verify the social on the docs with a card!

Reply by O/CNotary on 11/13/05 10:53am
Msg #76236

How could both wives LOOK the same and WRITE the same?

What am I missing here?

Reply by Anon1 on 11/13/05 10:55am
Msg #76237

O/C

Possible fraud??

Reply by SLP_VA on 11/13/05 11:22am
Msg #76247

Re: How could both wives LOOK the same and WRITE the same?

How could both wives LOOK the same and WRITE the same?

I'm confused by your question..How would one know how the other wife looked if a picture of the 1st wife was not there? I can understand checking the signature on the ID, but how would you know how the 1st wife's handwritting looked if you didn't have a sample.

I agree that the SS card should have been checked with the SS # on the docs.

Reply by Dee_RI on 11/13/05 7:40pm
Msg #76296

Re: How could both wives LOOK the same and WRITE the same?

I didn't say they looked the same or wrote the same. Obviously the current Mrs Smith would look like her own license as would the ex Mrs Smith look like her own license. Same name, two different people, but their own ID would be proper. So if ex Mrs Smith were before me, how the heck would I know she was not the current Mrs. Smith? Docs said Jane E Doe, ID says Jane E Doe, picture looks like Jane E Doe (the one before me).

Does that clear things up?

Reply by Joan_OH on 11/13/05 11:09am
Msg #76242

Reminds me of my grandmonther....

raising 3 kids by herself during the depression in Chicago. Her second husband had 2 other wives with the same first name - Helen - in Indiana & Ohio. He only came around when the other 2 wives ran out of money. My Mom, at the tender age of 13, threw his butt out!

Mom is still pretty tough. :-)

Seriously, she is named in the docs and her ID matched. Nevertheless, I would send a note back to the title company regarding the issue. I might have asked for additional ID including SS card, birth certificate, marriage certificate. At the very least, match the SS number with the one on the loan application.

I wouldn't want to be her. Isn't there something really strange about a man divorsing one wife and finding an exact replacement? LOL

Joan-OH

Reply by B__CA on 11/13/05 12:07pm
Msg #76250

Actually it is not for you to worry about. You got her ID number off of her driver's license, right. Her social security number should be different also if it is legit. I have had three loans were the wife mentioned husband's first wife has the same name as she did. Never had a problem.

Reply by Dee_RI on 11/13/05 7:42pm
Msg #76297

Re: Things that make you go hmmmm?

I hear ya, it was just real weird. Wife made a comment "At least he can't get in trouble for calling me the wrong name."

Reply by CarolynCO on 11/13/05 10:04pm
Msg #76306

My X's father was married 4 times after the marrigage to his mother. *Each* of these five marriages involved kids, and in each of those marriages he named one of the newborn boys the EXACT (first, middle and last) name as my X. I guess he figured he had five chances of ONE of them turning out decent.

Reply by CaliNotary on 11/13/05 12:39pm
Msg #76254

These are not things that you need to worry about as a notary. If she presented ID that was acceptable per your state laws and it matched the name on the docs, that is enough. It's neither our job, nor our business to make sure of anything beyond that.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.