Notary Rotary
This is new to me...
Notary Discussion History

This is new to me...
Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Jenny_CA on 11/5/05 4:28pm
Msg #74635

This is new to me...

A client called and asked if I had a digital camera. It wasn't to take pictures of the ID's instead, it was to take pictures of the property. She was going to add $25 to my fee.

I didn't have it, lost the job. Has this been a common request for any of you? I was told they (the TC or lender) request pictures from the notary when the loan amt. is very small instead of having it appraised.
I was under the impression that appraisers did "drive by's" and charged less than a full appraisal.

Reply by Anonymous on 11/5/05 5:13pm
Msg #74639

Not yet! Although I do have a digital camera why would you need one with this particular job if you are not appraising? Maybe the people who do would know???

Reply by Jenny_CA on 11/5/05 5:22pm
Msg #74641

She wanted me to email her a pict. of front of home, back and inside.

Reply by Anonymous on 11/5/05 5:38pm
Msg #74642

Yes, I figured it out. Even if you used the disposable type and saved to a CD, that would be a waste as you have too much expense for (2) shots!

Reply by Ernest__CT on 11/5/05 5:41pm
Msg #74644

Huh?

Other than the initial cost of the digital camera, there is practically NO expense (other than time) associated with taking a digital photo and emailing it. What am I missing in "... disposable type and saved to a CD"?

Reply by Jenny_CA on 11/5/05 5:53pm
Msg #74647

Re: Huh?

We do have a digital camera but my husband usually has it. I'll probalby receive one for X-Mas :-) ; unless I buy one before then.

My question is have any of you had this request, if so what is a reasonable additional fee?

Reply by Anonymous on 11/6/05 1:12am
Msg #74674

Re: Huh?

What you are missing are the original post or lack of comprehension or both. Let's see if I can boil it down for you. The original post said she did not have a digital camera. I was thinking that she could use another type of camera, even a disosable one that you could have the picture of the property saved to a CD and sent to the company requesting it. After briefly thinking about it I realized it would not be feasible to do that as you would only be using one or two shots of the disposable camera if that was what was used, and then the extra expense of having the photo saved to a CD. I've done that many times before I had my digital camera however I used it for more than one or two photos. Get it?

Reply by Margaret_FL on 11/5/05 6:30pm
Msg #74651

My sister got the chance to do drive-by inspections at $25 each and she did not have digital camera. I bought her one and overnighted it to her. She was able to accept the assignments and paid me back for the camera in a week. Now she is working steady doing these inspections and is very thankful that I helped her out.

Reply by John_NorCal on 11/5/05 7:52pm
Msg #74661

Not a bad way to make some extra money! If that's all they want is a picture, you shouldn't be in violation of any state law because you are not rendering an opinion of value, just sending pictures. Sounds good to me!

Reply by JRinFL on 11/5/05 8:34pm
Msg #74663

How would one go about finding these types of assignments? I have a digital camera and know how to use it!!!
JR

Reply by Margaret_FL on 11/6/05 6:52am
Msg #74677

Due to competition, I no longer post this informtion. I m the only one in my area that does these type of inspections. You also have to have access to your email with you ll the time as they send these requests
by email nd the first to respond gets it. I have a PDA phone and can get my email and respond and accept immediately.

Reply by Anonymous on 11/5/05 11:47pm
Msg #74673

Manufactured Homes require pictures

Often when you do a loan on a manufactured home, pictures are required. Some of the signing services include a disposable camera in the loan package, you snap the photos and return it with the documents.

Trailer park trash can generate you cash.

No actually, some of the newer moible home(not motorhomes) are very nice. I have done several of these(yes I live near a trailer park((I said near not in....but in $40 signings come about I may have to move there))), but they usually do not pay very well.

Hope that helps.

Reply by ML/PA on 11/6/05 8:23am
Msg #74679

Re: Manufactured Homes require pictures- Question

I received a confirmation for one next week. I have not done a mobile home closing and am wondering what to expect as far as paperwork. Thanks for any info.

Reply by ML/PA on 11/6/05 2:42pm
Msg #74709

Re: Getting back to my question...

What can I expect as far as documents compared to the usual? Any difference?

Reply by Tennessee on 11/6/05 8:33am
Msg #74680

I can see why you post anonymous

With that holier than thou attitude and the exceptional way you place yourself above folks, I would post anonymous too, no sense letting the little people know who you are. Sheesh, talk about gall

Reply by LawrenceOK on 11/6/05 9:02am
Msg #74681

Re: Manufactured Homes require pictures

Trailer Park Trash?? your an idiot!, I have done many manufactured home appraisals in parks that would put some gated communities to shame. You need to take a look at the HUD building requirements of MH's, and the aminities that some of these MH communities offer before you go shooting your mouth off. No wonder you posted ANON.

Reply by RhondaFL on 11/6/05 9:19am
Msg #74684

Re: Manufactured Homes require pictures

I deal alot with mobile homes and mobile home trailer parks, and some of these homes run up into the $200,000 mark, they are beautiful. I would not say mobile home parks are trailer Park trash, and what is wrong with a mobile home park, some of these homes are not even classified as mobile homes but MODULARS and their is a difference. People live in what they can afford for their personal circumstance. a mobile home park is no diffrent than a condo gated park, just a different structured home.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 11/6/05 3:53am
Msg #74675

Suggestion

For a digital camera to take on a signing, I bought an inexpensive one from Tigerdirect.com ($50) that I just keep in my breifcase (with extra batteries). Target, Kmart, Walmart also have cheap ones. Good enough for that type of work. You want to shoot in low resolution anyway to avoid uploading a megafile. Also for those of you who have camera phones, they will work in a pinch, then you can download them to your computer using mobile phone tools or the program that came with your phone if any.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.