Notary Rotary
Using Paypal to collect your fees
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Anon1 on 11/14/05 2:36pm
Msg #76428

I have a notary that I use often. She requires that you pay her in advance via Paypal before she goes to the closing. At first I thought she was nuts but it actually works out to both of our benefits. Have any of you thought about requiring this for your signings?

I read a LOT about people not getting paid or not getting paid on time, having to fight, upset about the fees you're getting etc etc etc...............

It seems ridiculous to do this but if more people started doing it maybe you wouldn't be "lowballed" so often!

Reply by Roger_OH on 11/14/05 3:02pm
Msg #76431

Hey, we'd ALL LOVE to be paid upfront! Unfortunately, many companies will not pay until they get paid, or will only pay a partial fee for no-signs/no-shows/rescissions. There's also the issue of when a SA does make an error, and getting them to correct it when they've already been paid.

If you have none of these issues, I'm sure you'll find a lot of folks here wanting to sign up with you! Smiley

Reply by Cris_AR on 11/14/05 3:04pm
Msg #76433

I think that is a wonderful idea. I have a paypal account and use it quite often.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/14/05 4:47pm
Msg #76455

Personally, I thing that "requiring" payment up front and "requiring" someone to use PayPal to do it, is amateurish. As a professional, I expect to be trusted and likewise trust my clients. Those whom I cannot trust, I just refuse to work with. I would never demand payment before the job is completed nor would I ever expect anyone to pay me via PayPal. However, if my client chooses to pay up-front and/or via PayPal, then I will gladly accept those terms and conditions.

Reply by Beth/MD on 11/14/05 4:57pm
Msg #76463

Well said Paw. I will give anyone a chance. You blow it, you don't get a second. I've had a good working relationship with some SS that others haven't. I have also had a crappy experience with some that others think wonderful. I haven't demanded payment upfront yet.

Reply by Ted_MI on 11/14/05 5:07pm
Msg #76469

Re: Agree with Paul .......+ some other thoughts

Hi all,

I think there is a middle ground. I have done several signings for a certain company (which shall remain unnamed). Are they pleasant to deal with? Yeah, as I remember. The problem has been that payment is not very prompt. I have done two jobs for this organization, but each time it took me about two months to get paid. Admittedly, I didn't have to get real nasty; it was more of a matter of making some follow up phone calls to the appropriate person. But still it was on my mind and that is indeed a distraction, when one could be thinking of more productive things.

So I think what I would do if they called me again is indicate that I wanted some sort of premium if I wasn't paid within thirty days (more specifically if the envelope wasn't postmarked within thirty days of the date of the signing). Now obviously this would have to be something agreed to by the client, by the other party. And remember documented beforehand. Would they agree? Well, we shall see.

Reply by Anonymous on 11/14/05 5:19pm
Msg #76472

Re: Agree with Paul .......+ some other thoughts

I think this is good idea to use as a last resort for those SS that owe you money and are over 30 days. But I would not use it for upfront payment.

Reply by Anon1 on 11/14/05 5:33pm
Msg #76478

PAW

I do agree with you, different perspective that you just pointed out and I like it!

I went for it with her because she proved herself and is outstanding, never a flaw on a document and yes, I was very leary at first but now I like her system. It's weird, for some reason I actually have more respect for her due to her professionalism with requesting Paypal first. hhhmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe I'm the weird one! lol.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/14/05 10:21pm
Msg #76574

Re: PAW

I really don't care how good she is. If she came to me, demanding that I do it her way, I would tell her to take the highway. To get business done, one must negotiate. Typically, in B2B if one of the B's demands something, there will be no 2B. The way you portrayed her is as an distrusting sole with an attitude. Maybe I just took it wrong, but that's the way it came across to me and there is no way I would hire an distrusting, demanding vendor.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/14/05 11:05pm
Msg #76599

Oops. Change "an distrusting" to "a distrusting". (When I originally wrote it, I wrote "an untrusting", but then I remembered that "untrusting" isn't a word, so I changed it to "distrusting" but forgot to change "an" to "a". Does anyone really care? Smiley)

Reply by NM_CO on 11/14/05 11:27pm
Msg #76619

lol, paw. Yes, I care!

You bring some valid points and now makes me wonder about the whole Paypal payment thing before she does a signing and what it would be like if we all did that. I guess that's a big fat NO! Smiley

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.