Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
What do the rest of you do to take away this feeling?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by 3Notaries on 11/23/05 8:56pm
Msg #78496

I have been stiffed for payment, ($150) from Assured Settlement Group L.L.C. (OPTION ONE MORT.),because THEY SAY that not all of the DOCs were in my emailed pkg and that I "should have known it". I did mention it to their company on the phone before I left for the closing. They told me to go with what I had, (but now deny it). They wanted me to drive the 45 mins. again for free the 2nd night to have the left out pages signed. I said no since it wasn't my fault that I would go again but for a fee. They said they would send someone else and would NOT even pay the original fee. They told me do whatever you have to do, including turning it into a collection agency, but that they will never pay me.
Also SHERMAN TITLE AGENCY, (eLENDING, DECISION ONE MORTGAGE CO.), $225, (2 loans) who are upset and won't pay because we had the borrower's call the LO with a question during the closing!!!
E-LOAN INC. also known as United Notaries, also known as ECS, who just haven't paid us since 3/25/05
Do you get the feeling that they claim any and all excuses to avoid paying you? They find some stupid notary, (like me), who willingly does the work for them, THEY get paid and know all along that they have NO intentions of paying the notary?
What do the rest of you, (if there are any like me), do to get over this negative feeling?
I have many other companies that do pay, but it's the ones like those above that really get me down on doing any signings, and I fret over the ones that don't pay.
What do you do to get over it?
(Thanks for letting me vent!)
I guess I should be Thankful this Thanksgiving for those who DO eventually pay me!
Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!

Reply by patricia on 11/23/05 10:23pm
Msg #78502

It is terrible to hear this, I would be livid, have you thought of filing in small claims court?
I have gotten good results when I tell them I will complain to the lender about their non-payment, they sometimes overnight me the check right away. Also, if your fee is listed on the HUD statement they have to pay and will if you let them know you are aware.

Reply by Anonymous on 11/23/05 10:41pm
Msg #78503

File with the Better Business Bureau. Call the lender, call the borrower and call the title company where a siging company was used. Fill out the form for small claims court and before you file it. Send a copy to them, telling them you will file it in 3 days if payment is not made.

Reply by 3Notaries on 11/23/05 11:18pm
Msg #78509

When I said to the company that I would call the borrower or the title company the SC told me that they would take me to court for harrassment!

Reply by SSEmobile on 11/24/05 2:56am
Msg #78519

>When I said to the company that I would call the borrower or the title company the SC told me
>that they would take me to court for harrassment!

I know this is afterthefact thinking, and will not fix your problem OR make you feel much better about it, but it's ironic that they HARASS you with a threat of taking you to court!!

You MUST get on a written basis QUICKLY with this client, otherwise you will end up not being able to prove anything.

I like the idea of contacting the BBB and letting them know, NICELY, that this is about to be filed if no payment is made, but you are now definitely on the defensive in this case. Be VERY careful you don't inadvertently make things worse on yourself by returning their bad manners and threats.

If I were in the same position I might write if off to a learning issue and from now on get ALL instruction in writing or not proceed, but I hate to be that way.

Get their reaction to anything in writing so you have it to show to a judge, and you might get paid on this one, even more than you expect now.

Make a slip and beon the wrong side of an off the cuff comment to anyone else, and you could make trouble for yourself.

Proceed carefully, and do the right thing so you CAN'T get in any trouble for it. I might work out!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/24/05 2:39pm
Msg #78547

Excellent advice to put all correspondence in writing going forward. Then not only do you have a written record, but you can check your wording carefully to make sure it is unemotional, objective and just states the facts. Be sure to request their response in writing (with a deadline). If you have an attorney you can consult on this, it wouldn't be a bad idea. If you even cc an attorney on the letter, that might have an impact, too. Sounds like they are trying to intimidate you from taking any action and I imagine that tactic works most of the time.

Reply by 3Notaries on 11/25/05 2:22pm
Msg #78648

Thank you!
We ALWAYS get a confirmation and the fee emailed to us or we won't 'fly'.
It also makes me feel like increasing my fees to cover the non paying companies. Unfortunatly that would just be punishing the good companies!

Reply by Anonymous on 11/23/05 11:15pm
Msg #78508

a lot of times the 'notary fee' listed on the HUD is more than my fee! I'm not so sure that small claims court would take the case and I might end up paying out more for court than I might gain!

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/24/05 4:17am
Msg #78521

**What do the rest of you do to take away this feeling?**

Go to hardware store.
Purchase sledge hammer.
Also purchase a pair of work gloves.

Go to Salvation army and purchase a sturdy
piece of furniture...an old console tv or other cast-off
items such as an appliance.

Load all these items into a truck.
Go to a remote area and beat the crap out of the furniture or appliance.

Take what's left to the landfill.

(If sledge hammer is not appealing, try 12 gauge shotgun. Be sure to buy shells.)

Reply by thnotary_NY on 11/24/05 6:38am
Msg #78524

The sledge hammer is good, you can always use it for Brenda's workouts.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/24/05 7:24am
Msg #78528

Aw heck Trenton - you remembered! How sweet!

Of course, this dandy of a way to keep your girlish figure is hard to forget. Once I found it, I could NOT forget it.

http://www.shovelglove.com/

Reply by thnotary_NY on 11/24/05 8:51am
Msg #78532

Good ideas are hard to forget. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Reply by BetsyMI on 11/24/05 9:35am
Msg #78536

Brenda, you crack me up. You have me laughing this morning! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Reply by 3Notaries on 11/25/05 2:00pm
Msg #78646

thanks Brenda!

I'll just chock up the lost payments to a personal training session! :0)

Reply by patricia on 11/25/05 11:22pm
Msg #78710

Re: thanks Brenda!

I really hate to think of any of us accepting non-payment, it really is totally unacceptable.
Isnt there anyway you can go about collecting this money? The more these companies get away with this the more often they will try it.

Reply by Arthur Walsh on 11/24/05 9:55am
Msg #78537

Be sure to paint the name (or a caracature) of the SS/TC that is stiffing you on the furniture. Give it two good blasts, the second just in case (sometimes bloodless suckers take an extra measure to be sure they're dead). Don't do things halfway.

Art

Reply by SoCal Signing Co. on 11/24/05 2:42pm
Msg #78549

Small Claims

small claims will accept your case, thats what small claims is about, "small" claims. Have your confirmation, and your notary journal and even have a borrowers affidavit that you closed their signing.

In many cases the company will pay just to get rid of the issue. Many people will not sue because the do not understand how small claims works.

Receiving the check you earned is often the best way to get rid of that feeling.

Reply by Stamper_WI on 11/24/05 7:08pm
Msg #78556

Re: Small Claims

Plus court costs, travel to court house, phone and fax and postage. Plus time....etc

Reply by 3Notaries on 11/25/05 2:06pm
Msg #78647

Re: Small Claims

But doesn't it cost to take them to small claims court? And what if the SC is from another state?
Thanks!

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/24/05 8:57pm
Msg #78560

Precisely, Art...I think that such a therapeutic exercise should be done very well, or not at all.

However, due to the complicated nature of the activity, it should not be thrown at the student all at once so that they can learn it as gracefully as they will perform it.

When this relief method is done correctly, to observe is to see poetry in motion.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I did. We went to my niece's home in NW Houston. My son picked me up, waited patiently on me while ran 15 minutes late...then he actually laughed at my jokes on the way over. Amazing! He hasn't thought I was the least bit funny since he was around 13.

I had a lot to be thankful for today for sure!

Reply by 3Notaries on 11/25/05 1:55pm
Msg #78644

Wow! That might take away a LOT of flustration!! :0)
Thanks!

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/24/05 9:00pm
Msg #78561

Re: What do the rest of you do -- another answer...

See Msg #74932 which I wrote in response to a similar query. There are other good posts in that thread.

Reply by 3Notaries on 7/12/06 6:44pm
Msg #132811

Re: What do the rest of you do -- another answer...

Thank you!

Reply by Janel Nichols on 11/25/05 1:26pm
Msg #78642

Nothing exists unless it is in writing. When I encounter this, I do not make a move until get an emailed response. I told a company unless all docs are received I can not go to the appointment. Shit rolls down hill and I am sick of it! They put many demands on us to make sure we get these docs signed correctly. There is no reason why you can't expect that same standard in return. They are getting paid to "MAKE SURE" all the docs are in the package. You are getting paid to "MAKE SURE" all docs are received and signed correctly...returned in a timely manner. Once you told that company you did not have all the docs...they had the obligation to give you those docs! You can not do your job correctly unless you have all the tools to do it. If they are not willing to give you what you need to do your job correctly YOU need to make sure THEY understand it......in writing...always!!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.