Posted by Bob_Chicago on 11/25/05 12:45am
Msg #78574

"Competent " Notary

Had a signing Wed. Docs were to be sent to lender and
I was to meet bwr and L/O
Ended up being last minute e-mail docs, so I was a bit late
When I arrived , only one bwr was there . Asked about spouse and
told that there was a POA. I looked at POA . It had been prepared by
Notary. Knew this because doc said "Prepared by and after recording return to Pat Notary , 123 Main St, etc." It was in an unusual form, probably did not comply with the law of any state, and was missing one small detail.
No place for any signature other than that of Notary.
I asked L/O if title co has seen POA. L/O said that she had shown
to a friend at another title co who said it looked fine.
I called title co any explained. They, of course cancelled signing.
( I get full fee)
I do not want to identify the state of this notary but it is known for
sunshine, hurricanes, organges, palm trees, white shoes and belts on
men and really bad drivers.
I understand that this state has a mandatory
training reqmt for notaries prior to issuing commission.
I am guessing that this person slept through session.
Hope that all had a happy T-day and a profitable EOM

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/25/05 5:32am
Msg #78576

This type of UPL must be stopped and the only way it will, is if it gets reported. I understand your reluctance to state the person's real name here but I do suggest you report them to the FL SOS.

Here are the links necessary for reporting notary misconduct in the State of Florida:

Instructions:
http://pawnotary.com/documents/Florida_notary_complaint_instructions.pdf

Form:
http://pawnotary.com/documents/Florida_notary_complaint_form.pdf

Florida Governor's Manual for Notaries, including F.S.A. 117
http://pawnotary.com/download/Florida_Manual.pdf

If you wish, you can send me a copy of the "POA" and I will complete the required forms, etc., and send them to our SOS.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/25/05 6:59am
Msg #78582

Bob, If my notary friend Sid, from Weatherford, were to see that one he might just draw down on somebody. A knee would be capped at minimum before it was said and done..

Unbelievable.

But to give her a little credit, could she be working in a lawyer's office...maybe even married to him and just left the sig line off by accident? Or, did she use "Florida Notary Public" in her "return to" blurb?

We can only hope. Otherwise, hang her HIGH. Let Paul take her "downtown."

Call in The Beaver and Eddie Haskell...she deserves that they should start "giving her The Business."

[The Business: Whatever that is. The kids in Leave it to Beaver *gave* "The Business" to someone at least once during every episode." Seems like just desserts for yet another creative notary.]

But also I have a Good Notary Report!

Brandon at the UPS Store here in town. I went in to get around 8 docs notarized. He did it for me and as a courtesy he only charged me $13. He was pretty busy at the time, but I am going to take him out for lunch one day. I have referred a lot of business to him from students...I guess he knew it. And, little things like that can mean a lot. Him knocking off the $35 other dollars he could have charged me was really a nice little gesture in a really crazy day.

Reply by NM_CO on 11/25/05 7:47am
Msg #78588

It's also my understanding that the tc will include a copy of the POA in the junk docs because most tc's and lenders require that it is approved by them first.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.