Notary Rotary
docs for spouse
Notary Discussion History

docs for spouse
Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 11/18/05 1:30pm
Msg #77474

docs for spouse

When the borrower is married but says the loan is only in her name, aren't there docs that the spouse has to sign as well even if he isn't "on the loan"?

Thanks you in advance for any help! Smiley

Reply by Cherilyn_CO on 11/18/05 1:47pm
Msg #77476

Yes, there is. nt

Reply by CaliNotary on 11/18/05 1:58pm
Msg #77478

Not necessarily, at least not in CA. If the spouse isn't on the title they don't have to sign anything. If they're on the title but not the loan there are a few docs they need to sign.

Reply by eXpedN_TX on 11/18/05 2:14pm
Msg #77482

In TX the title companies usually leave instructions on which docs the spouse should sign. If this was not defined for you, I would look in to it further by calling the SS. Also, on the printouts, the name of the spouse is usually printed where they need to sign, but since this is not always the case, it's best to double check.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 11/18/05 3:49pm
Msg #77504

Perfect example

I usually will not reply to anonymous posts, but
I am home recovering from a liitle surgury and
have some extra time.
If you indicate your state in a post , it will save recceiving
responses from people who have no idea, (by definition) of
what the correct answer would be for your state.
A smple two letter postal code after your "name" is all that is reqd

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/18/05 4:26pm
Msg #77518

Re: Perfect example: but, bob and others...

****I usually will not reply to anonymous posts, but I am home recovering from a liitle surgury and have some extra time. If you indicate your state in a post , it will save recceiving
responses from people who have no idea, (by definition) of what the correct answer would be for your state. A smple two letter postal code after your "name" is all that is reqd****

But Bob, and all others who keep on making these demands of Anon, your request would require Anon to go to"My Profile" and to set up a handle such as ANON-TX.

Anon would have to select MY PROFILE at the upper right hand corner of this screen, then go down to FORUM OPTIONS and change their FORUM ALIAS (hint, hint).

That's a lot of trouble. Now, you need to go on back to weaving baskets out of duct tape...a speedy recovery to you.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/18/05 4:05pm
Msg #77511

**aren't there docs that the spouse has to sign as well even if he isn't "on the loan"?**

It varies from state to state. Your anonymous posting makes it difficult to give you an answer.

Reply by Anonymous on 11/19/05 7:59am
Msg #77623

So sorry, I know better, my state is Alabama.

Reply by Anonymous on 11/19/05 8:01am
Msg #77625

......and the SS said it is a Quicken loan

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 11/18/05 4:08pm
Msg #77513

Depends on the state you are in!

Reply by JD_inMD on 11/19/05 5:45am
Msg #77618

I have had situations where 1 borrower is listed on front page of DOT and on signature line of DOT. The borrowing spouse had purchased the property in only his/her name. In the instructions it would say to have non-borrowing spouse sign the security instruments. My question would be why? PAW had posted before a link to Stewart underwriter which states under spousal rights for Maryland that homestead laws do not apply, dower and curtesy do not apply, and Maryland is not a community property state. I realize that I should just follow the title companies instructions as they would know better than I how it should be done, but I am just curious if anyone knows why some title companies would require a non-borrowing spouse to sign and some dont.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.