Notary Rotary
how do you protect the privacy...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2005 Index

Posted by Charm_AL on 11/15/05 9:50am
Msg #76667

of those listed in your journal? I had a signer, yesterday, say to her husband "I wonder if that's Josh's teacher?" They are always in front of me when they sign and I don't really expect them to peruse the page as they should be busy signing. Should I be anal enough to cover the previous entries with a sheet of paper?

Reply by ColleenCA on 11/15/05 9:54am
Msg #76668

Yes, I always cover the page. I just fold a piece of paper accordian (spelling?) style and paperclip it at the top of the page. I just feel it helps protect the privacy of those who have signed before.

Reply by SM_TX on 11/15/05 9:56am
Msg #76669

Well I put a sheet of paper over the previous entries.. I noticed that before the borrowers sign they will scan the page they are signing, then they ask is that so and so I didn't know that they were buying a house and yada yada yada. So now I ask them to sign below the blank page.

Haven't had any problems so far...

Reply by Jenny_CA on 11/15/05 10:34am
Msg #76671

I use "drafting dots" tape. I center a blank piece of paper and tape it to the pages. The dots don't tear the paper nor do they leave any residue.

Reply by LisaWI on 11/15/05 12:25pm
Msg #76703

Charm, I had the same problem as I could see the borrower I was signing was scanning the page of the journal looking at other peoples names. I tried the paper clip thing with a piece of paper and thought there has to be an easier way. I was also having trouble with the notarization types and keeping track of them and they didnt have all the forms that we come across in a signing. My journal looked like a mess no matter how neat I was. I made a form on my computer with the front page being for the identification purposes with all the pertinent info and on the backside was the types of notarizations.
Every borrower or borrowers as in husband and wife get there own Journal page. They see no other names. I reference it by invoice number in case I have to ever look that file up again.
If you want I can send you a copy, and you can make it work for your situation. It has all the info the MoJo does, so I believe it is compliant.

Reply by Tina_MA on 11/15/05 1:23pm
Msg #76712

>>It has all the info the MoJo does, so I believe it is compliant.<<

Journals must have numbered consecutive pages and be bound. Loose pages of information would not be considered a journal -- therefore, it is not compliant.

The journal I use uses one page per signing. It also has a manila page that folds over the pages already used. In addition to that, I use two binder clips to keep the pages together and foil would-be nosy people from flipping through my journal.

If you would like to know which journal I use, please email me with "Journal" in the subject line.

Reply by LisaWI on 11/15/05 2:35pm
Msg #76743

Re: The Journal of Life......:)

I apologize, we are not required to have a journal in Wisconsin, so I just applied the "info" in the MoJo on to a "Journal of Notarial Events" Page to fit my needs. I quess what I was trying to get across more than anything is if there is a will, there is a way to make things work for yourself. Everybody has to abide by their laws, which I am, and I wasnt sure if Charm is required to have a journal or not, but I thought if not, than she could use what I use and format it to her own needs. Although your journal sounds like it might fit the bill also and that was something else I had thought about was a single piece of paper doesnt look very professional as a nicely bound book, but I made it look nice and nobody has questioned me on it. I was told by my SOS that having a "Journal" was very professional and smart even though we are not required to do so in Wisconsin.

Reply by Chris_NJ on 11/15/05 12:13pm
Msg #76698

I always have a paper clipped to my journal and fold it as necessary

Reply by Mitch_MD on 11/15/05 3:38pm
Msg #76756

I use day-glo colored Scotch Post-It Notes, being careful to overlay them in such a fashion that the writing underneath is completely obscured. Not only does it protect the identity of the previous signers, but it also does a nice job of staying in place. As the pages fill up, I take more from the inside back-cover of the Journal where I've stashed enough to completely cover an entire double-spread within the book.

When questioned about it, I always say it to protect the identity of the previous signers and that I'll do the same for them. It always gets a good reaction from the signers.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.