Notary Rotary
A new twist on an old scam, be careful
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Charles_CA on 10/6/05 4:53pm
Msg #69187

I don't know how many of you notaries do financial work like sight drafts, international letters of credit, collection (not credit) etc. I just got off the phone wth the FBI and it appears that some of our regular scammers have broadened their horizons. I received an e-mail stating that thi companyh form China was expecting payment from distributors in the US and Canada and needed someone to approve sight drafts and handle payments and collections for them: not an unusual request. The thing that rang my chimes was that they wanted me to handle the deposits through my bank account: they usually are held in escrow. I checked with the FBI, its a money laundering scheme. If anyone gets questionable requests such as this the FBI asks that they log onto www.ifccfbi.gov and follow the instructions there icluding forwarding the e-mails. Be careful out there.

Reply by BrendaTX on 10/6/05 5:44pm
Msg #69201

Re: New Work at Home Scam that actually pays til you get

THANKS Charles.

caught.

Recently, I ran into a serious scheme that got a woman in Texas in trouble. She was probably hornswaggled and innocent of wrongdoing...but rather than go into a big discussion about it, if you guys are getting any email where the figure 10% is being offered PLEASE read my newsletter first. I am getting these constantly...well...maybe at the rate of one every other day.

If anyone wants to know more about the scheme I am talking about...go to my newsletter site at

http://texnotarynewsletter.blogspot.com

and read up on it.

HARRY PLEASE DELETE THIS IS IF IT ADVERTISING!!

Reply by BrendaTX on 10/6/05 5:54pm
Msg #69204

Re: New Work at Home Scam that actually pays til you get

I said **THANKS Charles.

caught. **

"caught." was an error. I know...I need to go back to the twelve-step program for those of us who cannot stop correcting our posting errors. When's the next meeting???

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 10/6/05 6:45pm
Msg #69217

I received and email about 2 03 weeks ago and like I do with the rest of them I forward it to the FBI. Never here from them though. Hope they do something about it though.

Reply by Cheryl_NV on 10/6/05 8:32pm
Msg #69227

What is the FBI's e-mail, I get these e-mails at least once a day.

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 10/6/05 10:39pm
Msg #69255

[e-mail address] is where I send it to.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.