Notary Rotary
Bi-Lingual Closing
Notary Discussion History

Bi-Lingual Closing
Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Pre-Closing Title Assurance and Escrow, Inc. on 10/14/05 9:40am
Msg #70455

Bi-Lingual Closing

I work with a title company and close loans in the office. I have been doing this for two years and am very familiar with the closing documents. I have been taking a spanish class for about two months now and am familiar with the casual conversation. I really want to learn a loan package in Spanish. I am looking for someone who knows the loan documents very well and who knows Spanish and English very well. I am in the Memphis, Tennessee area and would like to set up some kind of tutoring as soon as possible. Any suggestions? Thanks

Reply by OnTheGoInFla on 10/14/05 9:48am
Msg #70459

Well, If you were in SOuth Florida the problem would be finding someone that spoke English very well. Good Luck.

Reply by TnNotary on 10/14/05 9:55am
Msg #70462

I am in Knoxville and I have had only 2 Spanish speaking borrowers in the 4 years of doing closings. Even though I am supposed to be bilingual I had a difficult time translating some of the docs. I would look up the name of each doc that needs explanation for starters and keep up with the Spanish classes. I keep a copy of this handy. Good luck.

Reply by Pre-Closing Title Assurance and Escrow, Inc. on 10/14/05 10:01am
Msg #70465

Thanks- Memphis is overflowing with Spanish speaking clients and I have real estate agents and brokers begging me to hurry up and learn. Was there an attachment with that posting (of something that you keep a copy of handy)?

Reply by TnNotary on 10/14/05 10:07am
Msg #70469

no, but if you can give me your email I will send you a copy.

Reply by Pre-Closing Title Assurance and Escrow, Inc. on 10/14/05 10:59am
Msg #70488

[e-mail address]

Reply by Charles_CA on 10/14/05 10:46am
Msg #70480

2 mos of classes does not a Spanish speaker make

Unless you are ready to take the certified translator exam for your local court system I wouldn't attempt to pass myself off as a Spanish speaking notary. The vocabulary is formidable you don't use Spanglish in these situations so you need to know the proper terms used in legal documents. If you don't already speak Spanish I have no idea why you would want to pass yourself off as a spanish speaking notary, more money?? I hold it is unethical to charge someone more because they are limited in their ability to speak English, it would be like charging someone more because they are deaf or blind. Pehaps I should start to charge more because someone is ignorant (note I said ignorant meaning not knowing).

Reply by Anonymous on 10/14/05 10:58am
Msg #70485

Re: 2 mos of classes does not a Spanish speaker make

Did anyone say anything about charging more money?

Reply by Pre-Closing Title Assurance and Escrow, Inc. on 10/14/05 11:17am
Msg #70493

Thank you for your input and opinion about how long it takes to learn. However, I learn at an exceptionally fast pace and I study at least 2 hours everyday. I am not in any way attempting to pass my self off as a bi-lingual loan closer until I am truly bi-lingual. I in no way, shape, or form would ever consider that as an ethical practice in any situation. And yes, you are correct I do need to know the proper terms used in legal documents; which is exactly why I am pursuing information and tutoring on this subject. And no, it would not mean more money for me personally. I work for a title company. I get paid to close loans. Whether you are aware of it or not; there are people signing papers that have not been explained. I am interested in learning this to help eliminate loan officers taking advantage of ignorance. I believe the spanish speaking community and other non-english speaking communities are missing out on opportunities (especially in my area) that would otherwise be available to them. And if I don't already speak Spanish.......should I never attempt to learn?????

Reply by Katherine M. Gomez Madrigal on 10/14/05 12:10pm
Msg #70507

For those of you who are interested in identifying the Spanish translation for most of the words/terms used in loan closings, may I refer you to:
Pearson English/Spanish Legal Dictionary by Antionio Figueroa, JD and Norma C. Connolly, LLB, 2004), Published by Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-113738-7. This DOES NOT take the place of being conversant in Spanish. It does help clarify meanings in Spanish for the Americas. If you are explaining legal terms, you are practicing law without a license (unless you are a licensed attorney in your state). Be careful.

Reply by Charles_CA on 10/14/05 7:29pm
Msg #70583

Amazing how an opionion can elict so much venom...

I guess it must have struck awfully close to where you live.

Reply by Ted_MI on 10/14/05 10:00pm
Msg #70621

Re: heh, I commend you for your efforts

I think it is great that you are putting in that amount of time. And when you get right down to it Spanish is a pretty easy language as far as languages go. By way of background I do a lot of signings with arab people (both Christian and Muslim). Arabic is an extraordinarily difficult language , I understand. The Detroit area has the largest concentration of arab people outside of the middle east.

I learned Spanish a long time ago (five hours a day for two months - Peace Corps training). And now I listen to compact discs on long drives to my folks cottage across the state, so I don't get too rusty.

And I don't think I ever will get to the point where I would consider myself bi-lingual. Another thing I think is important too is one's comfort level. I remember talking to a woman a number of months ago who knew some Spanish and had handled some signings in Spanish, but she just didn't feel comfortable doing it. So she stopped.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/14/05 12:09pm
Msg #70506

I see no problem in charging more as a non-English language speaking signing agent. In America, English is the national language. Most states even dictate that the notary certificate must be written in English. Being bi-lingual is a choice, and a skill, not a disability. I find your remark, " it would be like charging someone more because they are deaf or blind" misplaced because people don't choose to be deaf or blind. They do choose to not understand the language of the nation in which they choose to live.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/14/05 3:00pm
Msg #70537

In the dictionary under

Charles_CA the definition is Presumptuous

in both English and Spanish

Reply by Charles_CA on 10/14/05 7:26pm
Msg #70582

And in Websters Anonymous is

also defined as of unknow or unnamed origin, as marked by a lack of individuality or personality. My personal definition for anonymous in this particular instance is a gutless piece of dreck who hasn't the courage of his convictions or much of anything else.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/14/05 8:42pm
Msg #70601

Re: 2 mos of classes does not a Spanish speaker make to Anon

Anony"mouse" I must say, you're manner of posting makes you very, very identifiable. You're the cyber hit-man/woman that's has nothing more to offer to this board than to interupt topic threads with sarcasm, rudeness and downright meanness. You're potshots at people in this forum are just plain cowardly. Grow a spine.

Reply by Giselle_CA on 10/14/05 4:09pm
Msg #70545

I completely agree with Paul. Speaking two languages is not a disability but an ability or a skill. I find most borrowers who do speak Spanish also speak English, however they still choose to speak in their native language. It is a choice and it makes them feel more comfortable at the closing table.

Reply by Ted_MI on 10/14/05 9:37pm
Msg #70610

Giselle,

I just handled a signing in Spanish this afternoon. (An Ameriquest, no less !!). Your perception applied to this couple, well maybe more to the husband than to the wife. The husband did speak to me in English a little bit, and his English was pretty decent. I think the wife speaks some english, but she seemed sort of like the retiring type so just would not have been very comfortable in English. What is surprising is that they have been here a long time - like twenty years. And she does have a job too; so she gets out of the house and interacts with people.

Their sons were there (teenagers), and the two of them were totally bilingual. I spoke to them in English. It seemed more natural. Except at times when I wanted to make sure that their mother understood what I was saying.

Reply by Charles_CA on 10/14/05 7:21pm
Msg #70577

PAW I can understand your position coming

from someone who believes that is perfectly fine to sign contracts you have no intention of complying with (a prevoious post regarding signing contracts with SSs). I'm sorry but I think it is a very insensitive position to take that everyone who is in this country who does not speak fluent English does so because they "Choose to not understand the language of the nation in which they chose to live".

Reply by Lisa Bittner on 10/15/05 12:42am
Msg #70652

Original Poster

I find your question/comment to be interesting. I wish you much success in finding what you are looking for.
Your business will grow if you are able to become a Spanish speaking closer, and heck some may pay you more. Good for you!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.