Notary Rotary
Borrower Id Affidavit
Notary Discussion History

Borrower Id Affidavit
Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 10/15/05 12:44pm
Msg #70727

Borrower Id Affidavit

help? Borrower Id Affidavit with info that does not require signature.
On bottom it says The undersigned certifies valid id was obtained and subscibed and sworn to me before me, a notary public, this ___ day of ___ 20 ____
Notary Signature:
Please print name:
Resident of: county, state of _CA
My commission expires:
Do I use a jurat on that and notarize or just fill in info?

Reply by Anonymous on 10/15/05 12:47pm
Msg #70728

Since it is an Affidavit, a Jurat is required by the sound of the notarial wording on the document. Also, California has revised the notarial wording on their Jurats.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/15/05 12:49pm
Msg #70729

Thanks!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/15/05 7:09pm
Msg #70777

"Since it is an Affidavit, a Jurat is required by the sound of the notarial wording on the document. Also, California has revised the notarial wording on their Jurats."

Because of this advice the original poster signed and sealed it.
The advice, in this case, was incorrect.
It was one of those forms for the notary to certify that they had verified the borrowers ID and to fill in the information from the ID presented. The only person signing it was the notary.
This form should not be notarized.

Please think before giving out advice that may have repercussions.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/16/05 3:31pm
Msg #70826

To further expand on Sylvia's correct response, in the state of California, just because a document is called an "Affidavit", it means nothing to us regarding what type of notarization - or if any at all - is to be used. In general, we are *never* to decide to notarize a doc in any way if there is no notarial wording. If in doubt, ask your client. I agree with the other comments re: strike outs and using title of Signing Agent.

To original poster, I think I've seen this form before, too. From time to time, we are asked to do things that are not legal within our state and we need to be vigilant for this kind of thing. It's good you asked!

Reply by RickinVA on 10/15/05 2:18pm
Msg #70743

I'd like to see some debate on this. I don't think you can notarize your own sig.
I had one today that I crossed out the Notary stuff, and just signed it.

Rick

Reply by MistarellaFL on 10/15/05 2:20pm
Msg #70744

That is correct, Rick, you cannot notarize your own signature. Unless the form has a place fro the brw to sign, it should not be notarized.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/15/05 2:47pm
Msg #70750

These forms ask for the notary stamp on it.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/15/05 2:34pm
Msg #70746

Would you mind faxing me that form?
Click on my profile for the fax number.

(you can block out borrowers info)

Reply by gilbert on 10/15/05 9:08pm
Msg #70787

This is not to be notarized, and I cross off the notay public and write signing agent, as we are not allowed in CA to sign this in our capacity as a notary public. At least that is what I was told by the NNA.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/15/05 9:14pm
Msg #70788

Re: Borrower Id Affidavit - Gilbert

You are correct.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.