Ca Registered Domestic Partnerships
Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 10/29/05 9:30am
Msg #72991

Ca Registered Domestic Partnerships

What is this form and why is it needed?

Reply by canotarygal on 10/29/05 10:56am
Msg #72998

It's for a gay couple who are "together" as husband and wife.
Needed for what? Explain your situation, please.

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/29/05 11:41am
Msg #73008

I don't know if your intention was to sound like an ignorant homophobe in your answer, but you pretty much did. So let me educate you a bit.

1. They're not "together", they're together. Nor is it as husband and wife, it's as 2 men or 2 women who want to make a commitment to each other, and for gay couples it's the equivilent of marriage in this state, or at least as close as they can get.

2. Domestic parters do not have to be, nor are they only same sex couples.

3. In CA, domestic partners have a lot of the same rights as married couples. I don't know specifically what they are relative to property law, but the form is to make sure that if there is a domestic parnter who has any sort of legal rights to something the lender wants to know who they are.

Reply by B__CA on 10/29/05 12:42pm
Msg #73018

From the Secretary of State of California site

If you are in a committed lesbian or gay relationship in California, you can protect yourself and your partner by registering as domestic partners. If you are in a committed opposite-sex relationship where one partner is " 62" years or older, you have the opportunity to register as domestic partners.

Reply by Jules on 10/29/05 12:54pm
Msg #73020

Re: Ca Registered Domestic Partnerships Form

The form is needed because they now may have community property rights to the property. The law was not clear. Most title companies require the domestic partner to either sign the documents or sign a quitclaim. Very similar situation to a non-borrowing spouse.

Reply by Kelly M Robertson on 10/29/05 8:56pm
Msg #73050

I See this form A Lot Now

And anticipate continuing seeing it in the future. No biggie - just one more thing for the borrowers to sign!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/30/05 4:28pm
Msg #73135

I'm seeing a lot of these, too, and often people don't have a clue as to which box to check. Bottom line, if they have to ask, the answer is "no" as to whether or not they are in a "registered" domestic partnership. The operative word is "registered", which requires a notarized document to be recorded somewhere, probably with the county. (Not sure about the latter part.)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.