Notary Rotary
Dis-ing a borrower on a public forum. Don't read if u object
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Becca_FL on 10/31/05 1:58pm
Msg #73255

Had a borrower return my call to confirm an appointment for later this week. Mr. B says, my wife is a very private person and prefers to not have strangers in our home. May we come to you? I say, I understand how your wife feels. I work from my home and feel the same way your wife does. Why don't the two of you chose a place, let me know and I'll be glad to meet you there.

I through out some suggestions, library, cafe, etc. and Mr. b decided on Denny's. Good, I'll see you at Denny's. Mr B says, oh, how does that work? I'll have to buy something won't I? I don't want to buy anything. I let Mr. B know the signing should only take 20-30 minutes and a drink and a tip for the waitress is usually fine. He's not happy. I remind him I will need a copy of IDs and he says, I have to pay for that?

The kicker is...the guy lives on the barrier island, in a gated community AND pays $23,198 a year in taxes!

GIVE ME A BREAK! Buy a dam cup of coffee you miser. Don't worry about the .10 for the copy, I'll make the copy on my dime.

Get real!

Reply by BETH/MD on 10/31/05 2:06pm
Msg #73258

Don't you just love some of these wonderful people? I cannot imagine being that cheap! Although, I suspect my husband would prefer it...Smiley

Reply by AnnaCA on 10/31/05 2:27pm
Msg #73265

That's probably why they're able to pay $23,198 a year in taxes. Some of the wealthiest people are the most miserly, which is why they're wealthy. I don't get it. Why have that much money if you're too cheap to enjoy it? In those cases, I suspect that the acquisition of wealth becomes the end rather than the means.

-AnnaCA

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 10/31/05 2:44pm
Msg #73273

Meeting with borrowers. I like it better when they say

could we meet somewhere. My office. I don't have to driving where I am not familiar with and using my gas. As far as I am concerned I like it that way. Except I don't get to see those houses that pay $23000.00 in taxes. Your house my office.

Reply by Fay Hudson on 10/31/05 2:50pm
Msg #73275

I have signed at restaurants and while the borrowers usually eat there, I pay the waiter a big tip to stay Away while I am there. It works quite nicely and when I am finished, he/she is right there to collect the tip. So they do watch and see when the pen goes down. LOL

Reply by Blueink_CA on 10/31/05 3:11pm
Msg #73278

When a borrower wants to meet somewhere, I always suggest a local Starbucks. Any excuse for a Mocha Light, and there are always other people in there on their computer or otherwise conducting business so I don't feel as if we are taking up space.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 11/1/05 12:07am
Msg #73326

Caution Re:Identity

When a signing is scheduled at the Bwr's house, and one party suggests
changing location (My wife is private, Our house is messy.
we have bad dog, etc) my bs anna goes up and I am extra
carefull as to checking Id, Sometimes ask for additioanl id to
satisfy myself. .
When you are at their home with wedding pictures, kids calling
them mommy and daddy, and a dog sleeping at their feet, I am
more comfortable as to thier true identity.
It may be a situation where a bwr brings a "rent a wife" for a heloc, so
that real wife did not know . (divorce pending, she does not know of
all of the debt incurred, etc)
Some lenders insist that heloc be signed at PIQ

Reply by PJM/MI on 11/1/05 5:40am
Msg #73335

Re: Caution Re:Identity

I had a situation occur where the wife didn't know about the re-fi until I called to schedule the appt. She said, "WHAT?" Told me hubby had try to do this before without her consent or knowledge (MI is a spousal state). Closing was to take place at l.o's office. I called the title co & gave them the lowdown. They called l.o & he was on the "sly" with the bo. The closing was cancelled.

Reply by newlysmomva on 11/1/05 9:07am
Msg #73354

Re: Caution Re:Identity

The fact that they live on a barrier island doesn't speak intelligence to me.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.