FL notary Certification verification
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Danny_FL on 10/11/05 9:42pm
Msg #69970

FL
117.103 Certification of notary's authority by Secretary of State:--A notarty public is not required to record his or her notary public commission in an office of a clerk of the circuit court. If certification of the notary public's commission is required, it must be obtained bron the Secretary of State. Upon the receipt of a written request and a fee of $10 payable to the Secretary of State, the Secretary of State shall issue a certificate of notarial authority, in a form prescribed by the Sectretary of State, which shall include a statement explaining the legal qualifications and authority of a notary public in this state.

Now my question,

The way I read this means that any LO, SS, TC who wants verification that I am a commissioned notary needs to get it from the Secretary of State. Does this mean I do not fax a copy of my commission to them as proof? or not. I can see the point of protecting from fraud, but Im wondering if this is mandatory or no one will do business with me if I tell them they need to get proof from the state...

Danny

Reply by Becca_FL on 10/11/05 9:53pm
Msg #69972

I made a copy of my commision ( you paid the $10 for it), stamped "copy" on it and that is what I fax when requested to do so.

In some states, CA comes to mind, the Notary must go to the county courthouse or recorders office and record their commision (and take an oath, I think) in the public record. Florida does not require the recording of a Notary commision. The Florida SOS keeps records of NP's commisioned by the state.

Reply by Danny_FL on 10/11/05 10:27pm
Msg #69977

Copy aye, just want to make sure they know im Acknowledged (snickers)

Danny

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/11/05 10:40pm
Msg #69978

When you sign up, they are asking for -proof- of your commission, which a copy of the commission certificate supplies. If a -Certificate of Notarial Authority- is required, then that would have to be issued by the SOS and is issued in conjunction with a notarized document. IOW, if you notarized a document for whatever reason, and the document custodian needed verification that you are authorized to perform the notarial act, then the custodian of the document with the notarization would have to request the Certificate of Notarial Authority. The same if it were in a foreign country that subscribed to the Hague Convention, the SOS would issue an Apostille. (See page 10 of the Florida Governor's Reference Manual for Notaries.)

Reply by Danny Shaw on 10/12/05 6:59am
Msg #69984

Yes, now that make sense for the apostille and someone wanting supporting eveidence that a certifiable NR did the witnessing etc. Thanks for the input.

Danny

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.