Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Folks... I cannot impress upon you enough...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Charm_AL on 10/20/05 2:29pm
Msg #71489

If you find valuable info here, print it out or save it to a seperate file! You never know if this site will be here tomorrow.

I've belonged to a step-family site for 2 years and it was hacked! They had a poor security system in place. Whoever hacked it did a superb job.
I lost every post I ever made in 2 years and all along I was comfortable in that I could go print my stuff if I needed it for court. All of my notes/posts were lost, what a colossal disappointment! :(

Reply by Harry [NR] on 10/20/05 3:17pm
Msg #71511

Our site will be here tomorrow and so will all of the data. We do not have a poor security system and we do have daily backups, redundancy on key hardware, etc. In addition, we are financially stable. The worst case you could reasonably expect would be a disruption of service. Certain types of attacks, usually originating from overseas, have taken very large and high-profile sites off-line for days at a time.

In our case, in the years we've been operating, we've been down about 10 times (hours rather than days), usually due to a hardware problem or a failure in our Internet connectivity. One of the most recent outages was caused by bad memory in our database server, which absolutely wreaked havoc, corrupting many operating system files. Fortunately, the handful of problems that have occurred in the last few years usually happen on the weekend and often after-hours.

Still, I agree that personal backups of key information is ALWAYS a good idea. As a rule, you should seldom rely on a third-party as SOLE steward of your important data. (Of course, the relative importance of forum posts is another debate all together. Smiley)

Harry
Notary Rotary, Inc.

Reply by Charm_AL on 10/20/05 3:22pm
Msg #71513

True...lol...n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.