Notary Rotary
Form of Identity
Notary Discussion History

Form of Identity
Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 10/11/05 11:58am
Msg #69881

Form of Identity

I was called this morning to notarize a police report from a non-citizen that her passport had been stolen. She had no other form of identification with her. She said that her parents were sending photo copies of her passport & birth record later this week. Her husband was there and he was the only supporting witness to her identity. I refused to do the notary. Any input?

Reply by B__CA on 10/11/05 12:39pm
Msg #69884

What state are you located?

Reply by Anonymous on 10/11/05 2:02pm
Msg #69901

Sorry I am in the State of CA.

Reply by Kathryn Fisher on 10/11/05 5:17pm
Msg #69939

You did right, in my opinion. How are you to know she is who she says? Furthermore, if documents are being sent which can confirm her identity, why not just wait until they arrive?

Someone acting on the part of a person who is currently in our local jail contacted me, asking me notarize a Power of Attorney for her friend, the incarcerated person. She called me about ten times asking what I would accept instead of real id, and when I would not do it she became very angry. If someone cannot prove who they are, I would just let them keep looking for a notary who is more lenient or until they can authenticate their identity.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/11/05 5:23pm
Msg #69941

Kathryn - are you in FL? If so, there is a procedure outlined in the Governor's Manual that states how you could identify the inmate. Additionally, if you need it, I have a copy of the affidavit that should be completed by the corrections officer and kept in your records to show proof of identity.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.