Notary Rotary
Good morning, question for those in CA
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Melissa Algaze on 10/8/05 8:51am
Msg #69531

Taking a quick survey about your TRAVEL FEES. Do you charge by mile, both ways? Do you just quote a flat fee for travel depending on your mood? What do you use to determine your travel fees.

Thanks, M

Reply by MagicLadyCA on 10/8/05 9:20am
Msg #69537

I calculated my mileage both ways for the various areas I service, for my own information. Using that information I created different flat rates for each area.

Reply by DellaCa on 10/8/05 9:26am
Msg #69540

I have a chart I made out as to what I charge for those towns I will travel to and I stick to it.

Reply by Melissa Algaze on 10/8/05 10:11am
Msg #69552

Thank you for your kind reply. Can you tell me what method you used to calculate the fees for each town? Was it based on round-trip mileage and if so at what rate?

Reply by BrendaTX on 10/8/05 10:34am
Msg #69555

Melissa, in Texas we have figured out that we need to not only consider mileage, but time involved.

For instance, a nice scheduler whom I love called me for a signing in a rural county and I quoted him higher than he expected. He said, "But it's only xx miles!" I said, "XXXX, I hate telling you this high, but how many times have you gone down a dirt road in XXXX County? 5 miles can take 15 minutes or more--not to mention the lower gas mileage and the havoc wreaked on the paint job."

Melissa, you can always go down (and I do sometimes) but you cannot go up. You might start with a scheme that uses .48 cents per actual mile to and from. Later you can build in time when you know your area better.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/8/05 11:30am
Msg #69560

Ditto for me, in FL

I first figured the distance from MY HOUSE to the center of each zip code I will service. Then I figured how long it would take to travel that distance. From that, I developed a zip code chart (excel spreadsheet) showing my travel fee. These fees have been refined over the years as roads and access has improved or got worse.

Additionally, on the spread sheet I list my fee for overnight docs, email docs, piggy-back as overnight and piggy-back as edocs. That way, I don't have to do any figuring in my head while trying to do something else. I can quickly quote a fee depending on the zip code and product. The subsequent chart is printed in large type (16pt) so I can quickly glance at it if driving.

Reply by AnneSoCA on 10/8/05 5:39pm
Msg #69594

I have standard rates I charge. Outside of a 30 mile R/T from my home, I add $25 to my regular fee. If it's more than 75 miles R/T I add an additional $25.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.