Notary Rotary
HP 2430tn
Notary Discussion History

HP 2430tn
Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Kimberly/VA on 10/7/05 11:56pm
Msg #69500

HP 2430tn

Is anyone out there using this particular laser printer ? If so, what has your experience with it been ? Would you recommend another model over this one ?

I'm thinking of purchasing this printer and just need a little more warm and fuzzy...(smile)

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 10/8/05 4:06am
Msg #69513

I have the 2420d - difference is I have less memory and do not have imbedded Ethernet server, and had to add the second drawer ($140, puts the 2420d at about 2/3's the price?)

The 2420 ROCKS. Absolutely love it, best money invested (IMHO) in this business is in the printer.

Someone more technologically astute will have to explain what the benefit of the Ethernet server is?

Reply by Mitch_MD on 10/8/05 6:59am
Msg #69520

Anything in the HP 2400 series will be a really good printer right out of the box, and can be upgraded for even more capability.

Networking - If you have a home network, the 2430tn can be plugged directly into the switch (or router, or hub; whichever you already have at home) and can be available at all times to everyone else in the household without having to plug it into a computer, turn on the computer and share it out. The embedded JetDirect Fast Ethernet print server of the 2430tn has a networking speed of 10/100, which is compatible with all current home networks. If you need a faster throughput, you can add the 625n JetDirect card ($$$ only from HP) which runs at Gigabit speed, but only with Gigabit networks. If you don't have a home network, the 2430tn can use a USB 2.0 cable or parallel cable for direct connection to a PC; just plug either cable into the printer and the other end into the PC and you're done. Setting up the printer for networking use is just a little more complicated, but if you follow the directions on the screen from the software installation, you should be fine.

Memory - 64MB right out of the box is pretty good, but they don't tell you how much is used by the printer itself, and that figure can be significant. A better solution is to max the memory out; however, don't purchase the 256MB module from HP or you'll have heart failure from sticker shock. Instead, go to PriceWatch.com, plug in "Q2627A" into the search bar and buy the generic version from Kahlon for $38. Installing the extra memory is simple; shut off the printer, remove the sliding side panel on the printer, open the memory package, insert the memory module into the open memory slot, replace the side panel, turn on the printer, print the configuration page to confirm the printer sees the memory, and voila! You're done.

Hard drive - The 2430tn doesn't come with one, but it can be installed as an option in the future should you decide you need it. Again, don't buy the HP version as there are much cheaper alternatives available.

Printer cartridges - There are two different capacity cartridges available for the 2430tn, one that delivers 6,000 copies and one that delivers 12,000. Get the one that delivers 12,000 copies, but don't pay list price for it. Instead, go to eBay and do a search for "Q6511X"; they typically sell for $125 to $140 each, which is much lower than the $200+ list price they are sold for elsewhere. A word to the wise: I would use the genuine new HP printer cartridges until the warranty expires on the printer, then use compatible cartridges or refill kits after that.

Hope that helps you.

Reply by Kimberly/VA on 10/9/05 12:11am
Msg #69625

Great info !!! Thanks alot . I will definetly check out those extras on ebay !

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.