Notary Rotary
Help please
Notary Discussion History

Help please
Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Rosie Galla on 10/8/05 1:59pm
Msg #69571

Help please

this is my first signing and its with a title company from Florida which is already enough to give me jitters. I have spoken with the signer and they do not have ID in the full name as on the docs. They only have birth certificate that shows the full name as on the docs. I don't know if this is acceptable and is it relevant since Florida is requiring 2 witnesses?

Thanks!!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/8/05 2:09pm
Msg #69572

You have to positively ID them with a photo ID - as explained in the Fl statutes.
A birth certificate is not acceptable. Also, unless there is a Quit claim or Warranty Deed in the package witnesses are not required.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/8/05 2:11pm
Msg #69573

Re: Help please - Rosie

Sorry - I was thinking you were in Florida, if not in Florida you have to ID as per your state requirements. Please indicate which state you are in.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/8/05 2:34pm
Msg #69574

I'm in CA

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/8/05 3:07pm
Msg #69580

Then follow CA laws for identifyingSmiley

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 10/8/05 6:01pm
Msg #69598

Acceptable forms of ID are something you need to know. Carry a copy of your handbook with you and highlight the acceptable forms of ID for easy reference. Birth Certificates are not an acceptable form of ID. If there is no ID that supports the name on the docs you need credible witnesses in order to do the notarization. You really need to know this before you go out doing signings. Now I could pull out the flamethrower because your question is basic notary 101 but I wont. I will just say that it is of the utmost importance to know the states laws. I know that when you go out on those first few signings you'll question yourself on things that you do know the answer to. Know what you are supposed to know and apply it to your work. Just let this question be a springboard to motivate you to study your handbook and manuals over and over so you can be the most successful agent that you can be.

Also if the property is in CA, Florida witness requirements don't apply. People shop on line for loans so it normal to do signings for out of state companies.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/8/05 6:11pm
Msg #69599

Re: Help please - Sara Beth

SaraBeth

Florida doesn't require witnesses on the mortgage - however if there is a QCD or WD then witnesses are required regardless of where the signing takes place.
The witness requirements are nothing to do with notary law, but with real estate. If there is a QCD or WD in a package and witnesses are not on the document, then it will be rejected by the recorders office.
However it is up to the company to notify the signing agent that witnesses are required.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/8/05 6:13pm
Msg #69600

Re: Help please - Sara Beth - oops

Just reread your message.
If the property is in CA, then you go by CA RE law, which does not require witnesses as you have correctly indicated.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 10/8/05 6:34pm
Msg #69601

Re: Help please - Sara Beth - oops

Sylvia, you are one of the most knowledgable people on these boards. I hope that if and when I get a signing for a FL property I will be able to ask you questions. I value the members of these boards. In fact a big THANK YOU PAW for helping me last night even though he doesn't even know that he did (EDS question).

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/8/05 6:59pm
Msg #69602

Glad I could help...

... Even though I didn't know I did. So, what did I do that helped?

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 10/8/05 7:40pm
Msg #69603

Re: Glad I could help...

PAW you posted a link to download the viewer/print ulitility (whatever you call it) a while back. Last night when I needed it I knew to search the posts for it. So I downloaded it and it worked perfectly. Now the reason I had to do it was that whoever scanned the docs as pdf files scanned them as images and not text files (another thing that I would not have know if not for NotRot). It took almost a half hour to print the deed. So I called the Escrow division and they e-mailed the docs in EDS files. In just a couple minutes I had what I needed to print the docs. The only thing I didn't know how to do was print just a partial package. Since time was of the escence I just printed it twice. So with that being said I would submit this question-how do you print a partial package when using the EDS viewer?

Reply by Carol_in_MI on 10/9/05 11:22am
Msg #69636

I had the same problem

I had the same problem last week and was so grateful that PAW posted the download link. Worked great until I tried just reprinting some copies of the RTC and the whole package started again. I unchecked all the "Prnt All?" boxes but that didn't do it. Finally, I changed to 0 all the "Copies" boxes except for the one I wanted. Problem solved.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/9/05 6:22pm
Msg #69651

What Carol_in_MI said ...

... is the only way I know of.

This is the answer to SarahBeth's question:

"... how do you print a partial package when using the EDS viewer?"

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 10/9/05 8:50pm
Msg #69659

Re: What Carol_in_MI said ...

And thank you again. Had I had a little more time to fool around with it I probably would have tried that. But now I know for next time.

Reply by Rosie Galla on 10/9/05 5:55pm
Msg #69646

SarahBeth, thank you very much for your feedback as well as everyone else's. I know you are absolutely right in that I need to know my stuff. Suffice it to say it' been a couple of months since I did all this and now that the opprtunity has finally presented itself I panicked becasue I do want do this the right way,. I have all my books back out and am going to spend free time re educating myself. A BIG thank you again!

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 10/9/05 8:43pm
Msg #69658

I know how you feel Rosie. My very first signing I was a complete nervous wreck and it was only a 30 page HELOC for an ss. A had a bad case of "I know that I know what I know but do I know what I know". Although I had been studying a bit on a regular basis I sure hit the handbook and manual hard (not to mention reading up here... alot).

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.